Let's change the rules/customs of sports

Sports need cleaning up and adjusting.

So here's some of the things I'll change.

----

Tennis

- abolish lets on serve. If it hits the net, the receiver just has to cope.

- no more than 3 or 4 bounces before serving. Yes Novak, I'm talkin' to YOU.

- immediate end to the utterly ludicrous custom whereby we have constantly to be reminded of female players' marital status. They've done away with "Miss Williams" and "Mrs Clijsters" in the USA, let's follow suit.

Football

- knock one zero off the end of every premiership footballer's salary - maybe two, in fact.

- anyone found to have feigned injury (including by tv cameras) is given a retrospective red card and appropriate ban.

- experiment with abolishing offside. Might be a disaster but could it be much worse than the mess we currently have?

Rugby Union

- lineouts to be 8-man, to put an end to the depressing spectacle of lumbering forwards clogging up the midfield.

- Police crooked feeds at the scrum.

- make the offside laws comprehensible to normal human beings.

Lets adding more.

American Football:

-Lets not allow refs to talk to the crowd. They should be able to follow the game on their own

-Don't cut away to adverts on the TV.....WTF were they thinking??

Sumo

-scrap it altogether, its 6hrs of fat people pretending to slap each other around

As a experiment, in the spirit of Rugby Sevens and 20:20, I'd make the Football League Cup eight-a-side and thirty minutes a half. Full-size pitch, of course. And I'd give the winner the fourth Champions League place so that everyone pays attention. The third place CL would go to the FA Cup (madness that it doesn't already get one), which I wouldn't touch for tradition's sake.

I'd also seed every round in the draw so that teams that go through on penalties are automatically away in the next round to the highest seeded teams. Force teams to play for a win in regulation.

actually for cup games, I'd go the other way and have a free draw for all cup games, no replays, everythng played to a finish. Especially the Champions League, give smaller teams a fighting chance to win it.

and I'd make the holes in golf, 3 feet wide! biggrin

I would love to see off sides abolished in soccer. I think it needs to be a higher scoring game and it would have more action/suspense, too. Agreed with Nagoids comment about anybody faking an injury trying to get a call should get a (yellow/red) card for sure.

baseball:

It should be abolished 100% as well. Its as interesting as getting a root canal.

American Football:

First off it needs a name change. To what, who cares, but football just doesnt suit it.

Next, in between plays the time should be decreased. I hate waiting for the next play, and that is one aspect that makes football, rugby, aussie rules 100% more interesting - the flow of the game doesnt stop as much.

**For any and all sports**

Fighting should be allowed. If players fight there should only be a 2 minute penalty where evicted player is out. Gotta love ice hockey for that.

Golf should be more like football, and Robin Williams said it best," HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE!!"

All women's sports should be played nude - just think, then people might actually watch them play wink

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy

All women's sports should be played nude - just think, then people might actually watch them play wink

I wouldnt say all. You sir obviously havent watched a womens rugby match. Yikes!

....yes! 100 posts. does this make me important now?

while I agree that abolishing offside in football would create hgher scoring games, anyone who played as a kid in the playground (where offsides isn't adhered to) will tell you that the game just becomes a huge punt up to the guy who is standing just off the goal line....which lead to calls for "no poaching" allowed smile

Removing offside from football would make it unwatchable. The purpose is to encourage free play instead of goalhanging and big punts up the pitch.

The same thing goes for rugby, without offside it would just be like american football with big 70 yard passes upfield, it would be a totally different game.

8 a side football is interesting idea but on a full size pitch I think it wouldn't work. maybe 9 a side could work. But it is different rules, so they could never do it just for one tournie.

Sumo isnt really a sport but a typically Japanese grey thing that is neither one thing or another: is it a ceremony or a sport? I would remove the JP national anthem from the winners ceremony, isnt it just a humiliation now that the Mongols win every tournie?

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Golf

Make the ball bigger so that we can see it.

And don't allow all the silly trousers.

What is it with golf and Rupert the Bear and other atrocities as trousers?