• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People rip me off left right and center.

I particularly dislike paying my bloody taxes and insurance. WTF is that all about?

Hate paying for food and drink too and ski lift tickets too.

It's a scam, should all be free.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
When some mechanic claims that a dented fender must be repaired before they can complete the shaken... that's a scam.

Sure is.

Quote:
I did mine not long ago at a garage I've been going to for a few years. I told them that I needed to do it for as cheap as possible and they still charged me 120,000Y (and didn't itemize the charges!!!!).

I really can't quite believe you accepted that.
Very silly, no?

I suggest firing him as a family friend.

LOL, yeah 404, he's been fired! And yeah, it was pretty silly to accept the bill like that... in my defense it was only slightly more expensive than the previous time I had done it (and yes, I was very careful about that bill wink ) The thing that upset me the most was that we had a problem so soon after getting the shaken certificate. After looking at the check list for the test I see that a problem with the starter would have gone unnoticed. I guess it was a little bad luck and bad timing.

Anyway, as I said before, I'd like to know what other people have paid (the total price to get the certificate). I think that for someone with a car over 10 years old (like mine) 100,000 - 120,000Â¥ is pretty typical for those who don't do the testing themselves.

Alright look! Shaken as a test itself is a joke. Anyone can go to the Rikyunkyoku and watch their cars being "tested". If you do I guarantee you'll come back and agree with me. The taxes are just that....a means for creating massive revenue. The sad thing is that it's all done under the guise of "safety". An inspected car is a safe car is the common thinking of the masses.

In all my years here and all the cars of various sizes that I have owned I've never heard of the prices of shaken Fukdane and Muika are talking about. Even the guys I know who are certified to do the basic checklist in prep for the test all pay the taxes that everyone else pays. Granted I drive a big 4x4 diesel pig now which is heavily taxed to the tune of 120,000 shaken and 60,000 road tax, the smaller cars I've owned have never been close to.. never mind less than 10,000.

No, just slightly mistaken. Go ask 10, 20, 30 people what they pay for shaken. I'm in a 4x4 club and I know all these "car" guys are paying at least the taxes everyone else pays. Death and taxes..

muika, you are fighting a losing battle here.

Just ignore it.

Does it matter if other people are using companies that rip them off and pretend they know everything when in fact they don't.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Excuse me, I'm not stupid.

I know how much I paid for the shaken test, for the necessary govt fees whatever they are called and for the oil I needed changing.

Sheesh.

Hey Muika, so the test itself cost under 10,000. How much was all the other stuff? Processing fees, weight tax etc.? Was the total you paid to get your shaken certificate 10,000Â¥? I'm not asking to start I fight I'm just interesting in knowing.

Well, I would never call anybody stupid for one thing. I said you may be slightly mistaken.

Shaken is typically defined as the entire process of the test fees and seibi.

I went and stood in line at the inspection center. In the very same line all the other shop mechanics were standing in. Jibaiseki hoken, Juhriozei and other taxes are paid and EVERYONE HAS to pay those. There is NO,NO,NO.. getting around this. It's not a question of who's right or not...who cares?? IT just IS.

Again, go and ask a bunch of Japanese people what they pay in Shaken? And then tell them what you pay...and enjoy their reaction.

Really guys I'm not meaning to offend or insult. But, I'm just kinda perplexed how a couple foreigners who don't really know what goes on with the whole shaken thing can be privy to such an amazing deal when all the other motorists in Japan...some of them even savvy to the ins and outs of the Shaken test..are getting dupped.

If you have an up to date little sticker on your front window then you have paid in some way shape or form, those fees...PERIOD.