I know its a bit late now, they're probably closed for this anyway, but has anyone ever tried out the early ski at places that open around 5am in the morning? What the heck are the conditions like then (forgetting your body "I want to be asleep" conditions!)?

Thanks!

I once tried the Kandatsu Kogen early opening. We got up at 4am, out of the pension at 4:30, on the hills at 5am. I was still feeling kinda sleepy, it was very foggy, they had the lights on. Didn't have much energy. The day we went there had been 20cm of snow the night before, so conditions were yummy.

But I decided not to do it again - just wasn't worth getting up so early for.

Many many moons ago I skied early morning at Oze Iwakura in Gunma. From what I remember it was about 6:30am and from what I remember it was peaceful and good. Admitidly it was later in the season so the sun was up and just bathing everything in a soft golden light... maybe my memory is embelishing it a bit ;\) . But having said that it was just the basic slopes at the base that were open and it wasnt snowing or cold. I dont know if Id get out of bed early for it now though.

Going to a place that starts before the sun comes up is a good idea if you want to head home before the roads start getting crowded(and not be so tired the next day). Okutone Minakami in Gunma starts at 5am but their snow is usually not very impressive.

I did the early Gunma thing once and didn't get much out of it apart from being very tired and lack of sleep. It was still very misty early on, but apart from that not much difference. Not worth it in my book.

Someone needs to fill me in on the advantages of getting up at 4am to hit the slopes. What can the benefits possibly be? Just getting your sleep and getting out there at 8:30 sounds just fine to me \:\)

The prob with Takasu is the Highway so everyone wants to start early and leave early. The highway is rather new and only one lane at present for 40 kms or so. They are building more lanes but it takes time. Right now to avoid traffic in peak season you have to leave by 2, any later and the traffic buids. It will build on sun or sat to 20 kms, ouch

I'd love to know why people who do it, do it!

I heard somewhere that business men from Tokyo went up to GALA for early morning ski, get back to Tokyo in time for 10 oclock meeting! eek.gif

I was lucky in that the biggest one I ever got caught in I could sleep through it in the back seat. My buddy drove 6 hours plus through it. The Jam will be solved in about 4 years when the highway is finished.