Restaurants and shops at Japanese ski resorts

Living in Tokyo, I find most things at ski towns cheaper than in the city.

Part of the reason for this is because most restaurants also cater for local customers and in the country the salaries and cost of living are lower.

Food at restaurants in the resorts is usually a bit more expensive for what you get, but while I've been disappointed in some places I've never felt ripped off - except perhaps at one hotel at Shiga Kogen where the breakfast was a joke. It consisted of some pickles, a plum, a small, flaky dried-up bit of salmon and some seaweed to wrap my rice in. Most hotels are a lot better than that, though.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be realistic, though, most Aus resorts are well away from the main service towns. This means that there is an additional cost in getting the items to the place. Not as much as the differential mentioned (and that is fairly close to the extra cost of stuff "on snow") and this is why we always used to shop in the closer big town and carry the stuff up ourselves (apart from bread and milk).

Our oversnow transport was a couple of bags of clothing each couple and 6 or 8 bags of food and a 5 or 6 cases of booze! that'd be for a group of around 12.

Add to that the fact that they have a "captive audience",ie you cannot really go back to the bigger place on a daily basis for essentials like beer, spirits and bread etc, so they can charge what they want.

Yeah, but if we didn't have such crap conditions, some of us would NEVER have started to ski (me, for example), others of us would NEVER have decided to go overseas, and others still would NEVER have decided that skiing in Japow is a far better thing to spend money on than anything else!

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Can't remember the names of the bars, one around the corner from Wild Bills, another beside the Vale, Wild Bills wasn't that expensive either. Never went into the Irish pub,

Lars Longcox/Longcocks (which is it...??) was pretty damn cheap - cheap beers, cheap eats for large amounts. GREAT VALUE.

It is cheap, but I don't think that's beer. I'm fuzzy on the details, but in Japan there's actual beer and beer-like drinks. I believe the cheap one at Lars is beer-like.

Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
Can't remember the names of the bars, one around the corner from Wild Bills, another beside the Vale, Wild Bills wasn't that expensive either. Never went into the Irish pub,

Lars Longcox/Longcocks (which is it...??) was pretty damn cheap - cheap beers, cheap eats for large amounts. GREAT VALUE.

It is cheap, but I don't think that's beer. I'm fuzzy on the details, but in Japan there's actual beer and beer-like drinks. I believe the cheap one at Lars is beer-like.

Happo-shu. It's no different to the crap you get served in chain Izekaya's

lol Funny how everyone knows the beer prices at every location rollabout

I don't find the food on the mountains (Niseko) a rip off!! I do find Hanazono the most expensive. I guess at the end of the day it is where you decide to eat. Yummy Pumpkin Soup at Ace Hill, Yummy Curried Vegetables at King Bell, Yummy Buckwheat Noodles Tempura Vegetables at Annupuri and ALL very resonably priced. Oh yeah the beer I just buy it because it is part of a staple diet. thumbsup

Originally Posted By: SantaCruz

Yeh was it Kai Hai or Hai Kai can't remember obviously... happo-shu oh yeh they explianed it to me, isn't that just the malt content?? I thought it tasted ok after killing my tastebuds on 'real beer' party

One things is true.... beer is your friend... groovy

Happo-shu... not beer in the tax aspect. But malt percentage hardly means it is no longer beer, it has all the SAME ingredients.

I really find it quite amusing that because a 'regulatory regime' defines percentages of ingredients in food products it changes what it ACTUALLY is. Beer was around longer than the regime.

It is the same thing just with less of something. In ACTUALITY it is 'beer' with a lower malt content. In the TAX REGIME it is not beer for the PURPOSES OF TAX. 66% as opposed to 67% I believe.

It is like saying a lettuce sandwich is not a lettuce sandwich unless it has two full lettuce leaves instead of one, yet it is still just lettuce and bread. I believe one would find that some beer in Australia and elsewhere would fail to be beer on this definition.

As far as taste, being a certified beer connoisseur cheers , beers come in many and varied tastes and flavours, the NOT BEER I had tasted a lot like Pure Blonde which is an easy drinking beer, doesn't bloat and leaves a crisp clean taste on the palate.

It seems more a 'social enigma' than one of any real substance...

hijack

horse

I get a stinking sore head after drinking chu-hi. Some of it isn't bad, but a bit sweet for me. Anyone indulge in the Cola Shock's? again not bad but man my head is pounding the next day!!

leaves a shiver down your spine and the hairs on your arm to stand on end! smile

You say that like it is a bad thing wink