Was watching Grand Designs (great show) last night about some dude who made a house out of tires and mud. But I guess with earthquakes you can't get away with that kinda of building.

How cheap is land ? back in 08 I spoken to some bloke who said he brought a 5 bedroom house somewhere near Kutchan for something like $30k (AUD) do those places still exist ?

(BTW this is one of my favorite topics here)

Here's what happened to one of the Scottish Grand Designs recently. The couple have separated and were apparently trying to sell it as well for 375k. What a nightmare.

http://www.thesun.co...han-Bawbag.html

Rammed earth-type houses with the tyres require massive amounts of labour to build. If you can rope in loads of mates, or perhaps call the thing a permaculture class or wwoof project or whatever gets middle class hippie types to come, it might be all right, but it must be a nightmare to do yourself. I'd imagine they're pretty earthquake resistant though, simply because the walls are so thick and they only build one storey.

The boom in Niseko will be very localised, so its just a question of how far away you have to go to get something super cheap. It will be further than before, but still not all that far in terms of time taken by car. That said, given the cost in Japan of materials required to improve old houses and the poor design they have to start with, sometimes you're better off starting again from scratch if you ultimately want to live somewhere nice.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a quick look at house prices in and around Hokkaido, and outside of the resort area then you can get a large house for pretty cheap. I was very surprised just how cheap it was in comparison to round where I live.....unfortunately the Mrs doesn't want to move to the cold :sadface:

TB house blocks in Echoland are approx $50K US/Au too which I thought was great value. That's what triggered this whole thread some time ago.

Was watching Grand Designs (great show) last night about some dude who made a house out of tires and mud. But I guess with earthquakes you can't get away with that kinda of building.

How cheap is land ? back in 08 I spoken to some bloke who said he brought a 5 bedroom house somewhere near Kutchan for something like $30k (AUD) do those places still exist ?

I think I know who you're talking about. It was a fixer upper though that's for sure. The Japanese aren't big on moving into 2nd hand homes. Fine if they rent but not if they buy. They'll usually look to knock down the older home and start again. So houses on the whole have very little value in Japan. So for older places you can basically get them for the land value of the property. When we bought our house they actually took Y1 mill off the original asking price to help with the cost to demolish the house. Of course we didn't demolish but went on to renovate. In Kutchan you can get land for around Y50,000 per tsubo, maybe cheaper depending on location. An average house block in Kutchan would be 80-100 tsubo. Up in Hirafu village land has gone for well over Y700,000 per tsubo but some land may still be available at around Y250,000 per tsubo (not sure haven't checked in a long time). In Kutchan you could get a new house and land package for around Y12-15 million.

I think I know who you're talking about. It was a fixer upper though that's for sure. The Japanese aren't big on moving into 2nd hand homes. Fine if they rent but not if they buy. They'll usually look to knock down the older home and start again. So houses on the whole have very little value in Japan. So for older places you can basically get them for the land value of the property. When we bought our house they actually took Y1 mill off the original asking price to help with the cost to demolish the house. Of course we didn't demolish but went on to renovate. In Kutchan you can get land for around Y50,000 per tsubo, maybe cheaper depending on location. An average house block in Kutchan would be 80-100 tsubo. Up in Hirafu village land has gone for well over Y700,000 per tsubo but some land may still be available at around Y250,000 per tsubo (not sure haven't checked in a long time). In Kutchan you could get a new house and land package for around Y12-15 million.

yeah thats what i found out when I started poking around, 4 and 5 bedroom houses too....that would get you a 3LDK in an older mansion block where I live. I recently saw a "great deal" on a 3LDK here, old mansion block, but right on Kugunuma Kaigan with unobstructed views of Mt Fuji, Enoshima and Oshima on clear days (and of course the sea!!), 19.8 million. To buy a 3LDK house in the same area would be upwards of 35 million.....and there ain't no garden that comes with that!

Some mansions, especially upmarket ones, have big maintenance fees and then a separate repair kitty that you have to chip into. It can be what feels like half a rent a month.

That said, some of them are very good value. You can get a 35 yr fixed mortgage dirt cheap as well. The Japanese government has gazillions of debt, so if that means a debt crisis and money printing are coming, you could well get to pay back your loan with increasingly worthless currency. Inflation is like a gift to people in debt :)

yeah I've heard about the "other" costs involved with owning a mansion. A few guys i know have advised me against it, the unfortunate thing is that to get a decent place where i live, a mansion is the best or shoud I say most economical bet. Of course we could move inland more and get something in the north of Fujisawa for good value but then it becomes a lifestyle choice.......for me living here is because its right net to the beach, if I had to move away from the coast then I'd rather just move to the mountains and be in the snow zone.....of course the "boss" is not up for this option. She wants to live round here because its her hometown......selfish biatch!!! (only joking dear!!) :shifty:

thats where I am now.....but the beach side. If I wanna move up into North Fujisawa (towards Shonandai etc) then yeah prices drop....but I don't wanna live up there :p

Don't blame you actually, although Fuj Hommachi is quite nice.

Cool thread.

We're living on the beach as well but unlike you Tubby my wife would be out of here in a heartbeat. She's from Hokkaido and hates the weather down here. Canada or back to Hokkaido if it were her choice......but I'm the one pulling back on the reigns. I hate the humidity as much as she does but it was always a dream to have a beach house and I'm not quite finished livin that life. As investments mature though....change is looking not so out of the question.

Cool thread.

We're living on the beach as well but unlike you Tubby my wife would be out of here in a heartbeat. She's from Hokkaido and hates the weather down here. Canada or back to Hokkaido if it were her choice......but I'm the one pulling back on the reigns. I hate the humidity as much as she does but it was always a dream to have a beach house and I'm not quite finished livin that life. As investments mature though....change is looking not so out of the question.

Developments - wife has agreed to move - once the mortgage has been paid off and we HAVE to move to the country. Now to start paying off....

I like your new avatar MIJ - much more friendly - is it a characture?

It's a weemee. I have no qualms with putting stuff of me on here, would be great to meet some fellow SJers. ;)

I like your new avatar MIJ - much more friendly - is it a characture?

It's a weemee. I have no qualms with putting stuff of me on here, would be great to meet some fellow SJers. ;)

you should be easy to spot, being so wee

MiJ, is it a house you own or a mansion/apartment?

My girl loves the countryside as well....she doesn't want to live in the city which is why she loves living where we are. Near to the beach and the Tanzawa mountains not far away and the fact that its hot. This last year we both tried surfing and she has really taken to it, I'm trying to convince her that Hokkaido has surf spots too but its that damn cold that puts her off!! :lol:

What she says is that we should "JUST" buy a holiday home in Yuzawa or something, since I spend my snowboarding time, mostly up there..........what she forgets is that you need a little bit more extra cash for that!!! :D We don7t even own a home yet, nevermind a holiday home!

My girl loves the countryside as well....she doesn't want to live in the city which is why she loves living where we are. Near to the beach and the Tanzawa mountains not far away and the fact that its hot. This last year we both tried surfing and she has really taken to it, I'm trying to convince her that Hokkaido has surf spots too but its that damn cold that puts her off!! :lol:

What she says is that we should "JUST" buy a holiday home in Yuzawa or something, since I spend my snowboarding time, mostly up there..........what she forgets is that you need a little bit more extra cash for that!!! :D We don7t even own a home yet, nevermind a holiday home!

We bought a house TB - and funnily enough, a coworker and I were talking about investing in some house in the Yuzawa area today. ;) Perhaps you can join in with us?

MiJ, is it a house you own or a mansion/apartment? My girl loves the countryside as well....she doesn't want to live in the city which is why she loves living where we are. Near to the beach and the Tanzawa mountains not far away and the fact that its hot. This last year we both tried surfing and she has really taken to it, I'm trying to convince her that Hokkaido has surf spots too but its that damn cold that puts her off!! :lol: What she says is that we should "JUST" buy a holiday home in Yuzawa or something, since I spend my snowboarding time, mostly up there..........what she forgets is that you need a little bit more extra cash for that!!! :D We don7t even own a home yet, nevermind a holiday home!

Hokkaido has some GREAT surf spots....some of the best waves I've ever surfed. In the winter Rumoi can be absolutely epic. Yes, it is a tad cool but with gloves, booties and a hoody...you can get a good half hour session in before you're numb. :lol:

We bought a house TB - and funnily enough, a coworker and I were talking about investing in some house in the Yuzawa area today. ;) Perhaps you can join in with us?

I'm in.......how big a house in Yuzawa will a tub full of 1, 5 and 10 yen coins buy? :D