Hi guys been doing some research on using sea conatiners as houses, with a combination of a few to form the outer shell. Obviosly in an alpine environment temperature control will be a big issue. Does anyone have any suggesstions for insulating products that I might be able to use to line the inside of the box as I'd rather leave the outside as it is.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coolroom panels Pete.

They usually come in a variety of thicknesses and have a smooth metal skin (always white).

Cut them to size and and seal the corners with silicone.

Seriously, are you gunna live in a shipping container?

Not quite Mantas and thanks re the cool room panels. They are a great idea but can be a bit thick and take up a lot of room. Looking at some current ideas like those below but slightly different in final design but most likely 2 stories and 3 bedrooms (2 Queens with ensuite, one single) using 4 x 40ft containers and one 20ft, all high cube (tall roof). Am currently exploring getting it built here in China and then shipped across. I could supervise the factory on one of my roster breaks, then the placement of it in Japan on my next. Maybe even ready for this season...

Using second hand conatiners is a great environmental outcome although some hurdles exist such as the heavy pesticides used on the wooden floors, insulation and of course a flat roof in a snow area. All will be resolvable, but need to work through the costs.

panhead_pete_58.jpg

panhead_pete_57.jpg

panhead_pete_56.jpg

panhead_pete_55.jpg

panhead_pete_54.jpg

Where are you going to put it Pete?

My first guess would be insulate on the outside with something spray on, but I don't suppose you'd do that before shipping.

Hey mate. Im looking at a block in Echoland. The price is right smile Id really rather not put anything on the exterior at all although must admit that affixing steel panels like the house in the first pic and allowing the surface to rust is an architectual look I have liked previously as it allows the structure to blend into the landscape without any loss to the structual integrity. I'd go that way if I have to.

There is a ceramic based coating that is painted on, called Supertherm, but it just sounds too good to be true and I've found a couple of articles on the 'net ridiculing their claims.

I had no idea shipping container housing could be so elaborate. thumbsup I like the way your heading with this. Minimal building costs in Japan.

Re the cool room panel or sandwich foam. It comes in 50-75-100-150 and 200 mm thickness. Over here there is a range of colorbond colours as well, not sure what you could source over there. Not sure how it would stand up to transport if you used it on the outside though.

I wouldn't think that the flat roof would be a problem with the snow given the structural integrity of the container.

Panhead - In Hakuba near the Tokyu intersection at Wadano - there are some containers that have been turned into accommodations. They put wood paneling on the outside, so they look like mini log homes.

Will try to get some pics for you.

When I first read the title of this thread, I thought "whaaaat? why would you want to live in a shipping container?"

But those pics are pretty rad. It would be cheap and it puts an old container to good use.

Are there any kinds of council building regulations in Japan with regard to a style of house? Surely the neighbours wouldn't be too happy with someone just plonking down a shipping contained next door to them.

Hi Spook, this one is already around the corner from the block I am looking at.

Im hoping mine looks a tad better then this but Im not the first to do this in Echoland.

panhead_pete_44.jpg

panhead_pete_43.jpg

To get the external facade how I want it Im ordering some of these HO Scale containers in 20ft and 40ft styles that the model railway guys use in their train sets. Should provide hours of fun smile

panhead_pete_59.jpg

You can actually buy them already insulated and with their own integrated refrigeration unit (called, strangely, refrigerated containers).

We own a 20ft container that is used for storage and will convert into a workshop for me to use in my retirement (when it finally happens).

Thanks JA, did look into this but apparently the insulation breaks down over time with a suggested life of 15 years. Pity as it would have been an easy fix. :(

Update: Also really hard to get in high cube, high cielings which work much better for housing by all accounts.

Well had a bit of a win today. Finally located a company called U-EN Corporation in Yokohama that sells containers. I realise its about 275km from there to Hakuba and need to understand those costs but even if it was $4/km only adds $1K per 40ft box. If I have read the website right the 40ft High Cubes (Tall ones - 2.7m inside) are 273,000Y each. Hopefully a tad cheaper with a bulk purchase.

The best bit though is these guys actually already modify them, cutting out panels, fitting doors and glass etc to construct all manner of huts etc. Hope to hear back early next week re prices for the work additional to just the plain containers. Will just need some plans from the architect where all the windows, doors, stairs etc are going and hopefully these guys can pre cut the openings etc, maybe even fit the windows and doors. If thats the case it will be really quick to lock up. Then the real work (and money) begins....

So a complete change of tact eh? No longer having them built in China.

You've obviously done the costings on it all. Is there really much difference in cost fitting out a container compared to the conventional way of building in Japan?

Hey Mantas

I had tried for over a week to find someone in Japan who was selling containers but had no luck until yesterday thanks to someone on another forum. Whilst I was researching "Contianer Houses" I came across China manufacturers which spiked my interest. I am still awaiting freight costs for China to Japan but feel that any possible saving in getting it built here may be negated by not having local tradies and hence warranty if things arent quite right.

One of the issues I have identified is that I need a Japanese Architect to submit my building approvals on my behalf and supervise the build at various stages. This may necessitate that most of the build happens in country.

Re fitting them out thats a great question and still one Im working through but will need to get the architect involved first. By using some of the conatiner walls etc and simple things like all the toilets, baths etc stacked above ea other savings can be had.

I am planning on flying over to Hakuba early next month with the intent of buying a block of land if there is a suitable one. It will be great to see the place in summer. If I do buy then I'll start having discussions with young architects and hopefully engage the services of one.

I have a rough idea of what I want now which will look like the pic below but 3 storys high, only two wide and with 10ft over hangs on each level. The blocks that I am looking at are approximatly a 2:1 ratio length wise hence this design. But having said that I dream up new ideas all the time smile

lotek_chk3g.jpg

Bottom floor would be two single bedrooms and a double, middle floor kichen and dining. Top floor which would be done last and not happen initially depending on $ would be two double bedrooms with ensuites. If just the two storys should be at lock up for around $50K which includes $26K for architect, approavls, glass/doors, foundations and basic power/gas/water. But thats a LONG way away from happening just yet smile Still need to do a LOT of sums.

Happy to hear from anyone with experience local costs.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the support as I do from some other members here behind the scenes. I do a fair bit of project managment in my job so hoping those skills help.

I have lots of hair brained schemes but as I get older I get better at executing the critical ones. I've been boring you guys here for years about having a base there - now its time to do it. smile

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Out of interest, how much would a block of land cost in Hakuba?

Approx 5.5 million Yen for the ones within my range and the location I want.

You said 3 stories high, with each one 10ft over hanging. Wouldnt it work better (structurally) as > shape rather than / shape? Then the 2nd floor could have a balcony with natural roof, and 3rd floor could have an non-roofed balcony.