Hakuba town hall will tell you who owns any piece of land. Probably just the name though. Anywhere within 10-20m of a road should be down on the survey.

If that shower is Chinese and you find out the cost, stick it up!

We bought our place in 2006 so I don't know if there are more folks selling real estate in English now. We dealt with the Japanese family of agents HRE represents.

Due to the humidity, most Japanese don't built basements. Its a real fight against mould.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will let you know as soon as I know about the shower. We have this mad deluxe version for jets everywhere for the guys who work in the gold room and it was about $1K Aus. They do some mad baths too smile

Been getting quite a bit of advice about building off the ground due to mould but still recall your advice re the slab mate.

Is it more humid in Hakuba (and the ski resorts in general) in summertime, than say out on the coast?? I'd expect it to be cooler just because its mountainous but I'd guess that the valleys could act as a sun, heat and humidity trap and make it all the worse. Even down here by the sea, its well humid....not much in the way of a cooling breeze in summer time

I dunno compared to the coast, but I guess you're the winner! Annual rainfall in Hakuba is high though, equal to Manchester and Glasgow added together. It just shows that British people like a good moan about nowt!

Greenery also raises humidity through evaporation from the leaves, a process called transpiration. In seriously inland areas, it can be the major source of cloud formation and rainfall.

Basements are often "dank" and "damp" in countries with much less rainfall and humidity than Japan. They can be done, but its not easy.

higher rainfall than Manchester and Glasgow added together......but I bet it doesn't rain as often!

When it rains it pours!

Originally Posted By: Mantas
I'll bet that can be said for a lot of places. That constant drizzle and greyness would get me down eventually.

hence Glasgow's immense alcohol problem! lol
Originally Posted By: Mantas
What's our excuse then?

Yours is because its such nice weather!! Nothing like a bit of sunshine to induce a myriad of cans popping open!! smile
  • 2 weeks later...

Arrive in Hakuba around 11 of June to look at land, if there is a suitable block I will be buying it.

Struggling to find an architect and engineer to get involved so hoping the local guy Im going to get introduced to can help. Engineering will be a real issue as will probably only build bottom floor this year and get it habitable. Interior fit out will be similar to old wharehose style, all open plan etc. Upper floors at a later date as required.

Now assessing buying all the fitout materials here in China and shipping them over in one hit, incl furniture, flooring, white goods, HWS, cabinets, shower, hot tub etc. Would purchase the container and it would then be part of the building.

Have a mate lined up to fly over from Aus in early Nov to do all the cutting and welding.

Much to do but the block is the priority.

Really hoping to pull this off. Can see some busy roster breaks working hard on the place during the day and some Ashai and bbq at night smile

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Arrive in Hakuba around 11 of June to look at land, if there is a suitable block I will be buying it.

Struggling to find an architect and engineer to get involved so hoping the local guy Im going to get introduced to can help. Engineering will be a real issue as will probably only build bottom floor this year and get it habitable. Interior fit out will be similar to old wharehose style, all open plan etc. Upper floors at a later date as required.

Now assessing buying all the fitout materials here in China and shipping them over in one hit, incl furniture, flooring, white goods, HWS, cabinets, shower, hot tub etc. Would purchase the container and it would then be part of the building.

Have a mate lined up to fly over from Aus in early Nov to do all the cutting and welding.

Much to do but the block is the priority.

Really hoping to pull this off. Can see some busy roster breaks working hard on the place during the day and some Ashai and bbq at night smile

is your block on the council sewage system?

Do you play cricket?

Coming to look at a few options mate and would much prefer to be on the sewer system.

Have heard about the cricket, I'll be a star, getting the oranges ready and drinking the cans afterwards. Trust me, thats the level of participation you will want from me smile

If you're buying stuff in China and shipping a container of it from China to Hakuba, give us a shout if you have any extra space. I'm sure there's something we'd want and I'll chip in or help out at this end.

• 6 months later...

340ftlayoutRev11.jpg

The last version of my floor plan for a 4 container set up. A simple single story would be the way I go with this should I proceed. Cant see any reason why it couldn't be built on 2, maybe 3 trestle like stands as they stack these 8 high on the boats and all that weight goes through the corners.

As much of the fabrication as possible and most if not all building materials would be sourced in China and shipped over in one of the containers. Still a dream but one that's somewhat obtainable. Just need to prioritize where my money goes as have another Hakuba based opportunity that I need to assess this trip.