• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
wow, remarkable game with Ghana. I was betting Suarez would be the hero, but nobody could have predicted in the way it unfolded. Great game. Have to say I am glad Ghana lost. Now they know how the US feel.

Yes, because having the backing of a continent and going out on penalties is exactly the same situation as the US.

Having a goal cleared off the line, missing a penalty, being the better team too. Not quite the same situation as the US.

Ah Rob, I knew I could count on you to misinterpret my statements.

I am simply talking about losing. If a team beats my team I hope they lose. Simple as that.

Germany were impressive. Wow what a game, it was unexpected. They have looked like winners. Where did they come from then?! Wonder what the odds were for them winning early on.... and now.

The German Express train rattles on!!! The aren't half steamrolling through the oppositon!! Thankyou to Germany, for the 2nd time, as their win means I have an unassailable lead in the sweepie and i shall be feeling the grain of an ichi man note!!! smile

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
I knew I could count on you to misinterpret my statements.

I am simply talking about losing. If a team beats my team I hope they lose. Simple as that.

no I didn't misinterpret it at all. wakaranai

I understood what you meant about losing, but saying that you hope the team that beat yours also goes out smacks of being a sore loser. I simply added on that Ghana had a LOT more riding on that game than the US did, or perhaps a lot of the other teams did in that round of games.

A whole continent was supposedly behind them. A WHOLE CONTINENT! Gyan missed the penalty with the last kick of regular time. Imagine the heartache that guy is going through.

England lost to Germany. Sucks yes. Do I hope Germany goes out? No, because they were the better team and deserve to do better.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
The German Express train rattles on!!! The aren't half steamrolling through the oppositon!! Thankyou to Germany, for the 2nd time, as their win means I have an unassailable lead in the sweepie and i shall be feeling the grain of an ichi man note!!! smile

Congrats - how many Sapporos will that buy?

a fair few I'd imagine!! smile Actually I'm digging the Asahi Gold just now.....ts prob the same beer as Super Dry but I'm a sucker for packaging and the Gold can gives that something special!! smile Bic Camera is selling a 6-pack of talls for 1400 yen....I may buy a few to celebrate! biggrin

I was impressed and disappointed at the same time.

It's good to see a team emerge like this though - quality stuff.

Shame it has to be the Germans though. wink

For the love of god Spain needs to start Pedro again. Don't start Torres and put in Fabregas, Lloreiente, Pedro. Take out Alonso.

It's funny anytime a substitute for Spain comes in, they play their heart out while a majority of the starters seemed rather emotionless at the game. Absolutely no passion.

Pretty much all of the big names that were supposed to shine, Rooney, Torres, Eto'o, Drogba, Ronaldo have all looked lacklustre this world cup.

Wonder if something like Cricket's central contract system might work for the national teams?

Whats that then Rob?

I think with lots of teams, they simply don't have much time together. That along with the fact that they are tired (though I don't like that excuse) and there are too many big heads to fit into the space. They just can't work well together.

Teams who used to be rubbish not being as rubbish as they used to be and harder to break down also has been a factor.

holy shit rob. i expected that you'd be taking the piss out of our mitch! surely you could come up with something more cynical and contrarian (sorry, its a bad use of the word but seeming appropriate oddly enough wink )

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Whats that then Rob?

The players are contracted to the FA (or the ECB in cricket) and pay a proportion of the wages I think. But they can be called up for international duty, which has priority over the club. Of course, clubs won't like this, but could be worked around.

BM - I only take the piss out of him when he says something I disagree with or find fault with.
Originally Posted By: thursday
The clubs pay the wages and the TRANSFER FEES. Maybe the FA would like to chip in for the TRANSFER FEES.

They can have Owen for England duty any day.

Hey, it's just an idea. What would you suggest?
Originally Posted By: thursday
Those Gerries were great. Those Argies just didn't have a clue. Shame there is no more opportunity to call them Argies.

Why's that? Did the country suddenly cease to exist then after that loss?