Gold count vs total medal count

Tub, I said doing your best, not taking part -- although I would say taking part is quite an achievement, any of you gold-bugs ever made it onto your nation's Olympic team? no? not surprised.

[[(does the US still believe it is the center of the Universe? wink )]]

fixed it ferya!

It is an incredible achievement to make an Olympic team and of course for most competitors it would be a dream come true to receive any medal or to just be able to take part in this great sporting event. I agree though that at this level winning is everything. It's great to foster the 'doing your best' and 'just taking part' attitude at a lower level of competition but this is the Olympics. No lowering the bar at this level just so everyone feels good about themselves regardless of what place they get. You wouldn't ever get gold at this level if you even entertained the idea that silver or bronze were ok.

Personal satisfaction at making the team is very different to making the medal count weighted to golds...

Of course it is fantastic for people to have made it to such an elite level of competition. And a Silver or Bronze medal (I think) are bloody fabulous. You would be pretty happy just standing on that dias and receiving a medal (any color)

However if we are counting medals and putting up a league table then the medal color should count towards the winner. As Gareth pointed out a lot of the changes depending on how it is counted make only small differences BUT what if the first three places looked like this...

Nation A: Gold (12) Silver (10) Bronze ( 8) Total (30)

Nation B: Gold (13) Silver (10) Bronze ( 7) Total (30)

Nation C: Gold (11) Silver ( 5) Bronze (14) Total (30)

Under the current system the 3 nations would tie for first place. To me it looks like Nation B is most successful with the most number of Gold and an equal number of Silver and the same total medal count. It looks like nation C is the least successful with the lowest number if Golds and the majority of their 30 coming from Bronze.

Don't you think a weighted system of count would recognize the athlete's achievements more appropriately?

Do those medals look like they are big chocolates?

Somehow it really really annoys me when the winners "bite" into them.

grandpa

Don't know why that annoys me so much, but does.

Of course as a personal achievement just competing would be great BUT in terms of judging which country overall has the best athletes (as CB's 1st post was discussing) then I think that its only Gold medals that count. Its almost as nonsense as the "Champions League" been won by clubs who have never won their own league.

Well, to me the most annoying thing about Olympics, summer or winter, has always been the insipid nationalism. I'd like to see done away with the whole national uniforms, flags, anthems, etc. When it comes to sports, I definitely fall into the ``one-world'' category.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Champion's league thing. Really?

Or do you mean they were not their home league champions the season prior to winning the Champion's league title.

thats what I mean...Liverpool haven't won the league for 20 years or so....yet they were in (and won) the "Champions" League! Champions of what...4th place??