Oh but it was... then!! lol

But it wasn't... now. confused

Basically - very good snow this season early January but warmed up of late and we're going through a bit of a blip period right now. We can forgive it that. I'm sure it'll be back.

Similar story in Nozzles and Shiga Kogen and I'm sure other areas in the region.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we left a day early. It seemed that the resorts (I went to at least) weren't able to sort out their grooming very well and off piste seemed down right dangerous to me. I've never actually seen ice so thick on piste before and felt that the risk of injury (either wiping out myself or someone taking me out) was too high. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon!

still awesome weather in the big N!! Yesterday's turns in the back bowls of annupuri with bluebird conditions blew my mind.....again!! Sure there were a lot of tracks and the powder wasn't as light as it can be, but face shots, rooster tails and knee deep snow plastered a smile all over my face!! Then in the afternoon the clouds rolled in and gave a little top up as we rode into Nighta....sweet! smile

Originally Posted By: tripler
From forecasts and comments it seems since mid-Jan Hakuba has been suffering the same problems as last season. Dumps are wiped out days later by heavy rain. Generally too warm.

I've been out most days since mid January and its only sucked since tuesday this week. Before that I was getting bottomless powder everyday (albeit sometimes only in north facing slack country - I almost never ski on the runs)

The rain on the 20th was quickly bottomless powder again by the next day followed by a beautiful week of sunny days and snowy nights.

Last week was fantastic as well until the monday morning and then by the monday afternoon the powder had all but gone.

Since then the rain has killed things and we haven't had quite enough snow to cover things up.

So since mid December there have been about 7days where you haven't been able to find bottomless powder. Thats a pretty good statistic in my book.

Then again it sucks if you just turned up in Hakuba. It looks like it will be bottomless again by Monday/tuesday again though

Wait for the flames!
Originally Posted By: Matt
Before that I was getting bottomless powder everyday

Just for you Matt as you obviously want some flickery flames and it's always fun to read the hyperbole posted by lodge owners who come on just to post it every so often wink
bestsnow
Without a doubt! Hakube Heaven! Ride the White Horse! Enjoying Ultimate Japanese Snow Powdering Holidays! Lets Powder Holidays! etc

Just (half) kidding. So, seriously....

It looks like it will be bottomless again by Monday/Tuesday again though

OK lets have some fun with this one. Lets see, come Tuesday morning, if we have this "bottomless" once again. Forecasts say no, but I actually hope we do.

I was in Yuzawa today at one of the more rubbish places - long story - and the snow only sucked a bit. Actually with a bit of new snow it was better than I was expecting - I didn't go with high hopes! - but it felt like spring though both snow and weather today.

Here in Niigata I'd say we have had a few weeks of mixed weather, tending towards the mild and not that much fresh.

Looks like next decent snowfall is end of the week so lets all look forward to that.

I don't doubt for a second that Hakuba is an awesome place to go riding. I've had some of my best turns ever there... but without a doubt it truly sucked on Thursday, Friday and Saturday this week. So much so that I can honestly say I've never boarded in worse conditions in February (anywhere!) and possibly ranks as the worst conditions I've ever experienced, without exception.

This year I've been to Niseko (Hirafu, Higashiyama, Annupuri), Moiwa, Rusutsu, Madarao, Ryuoo, Zao Onsen, Tsugaike, Happo One, and 47 and had great conditions until the last 3. It's just a matter of turning up at the wrong time and getting a little unlucky. Even though the snow sucked I still had fun eating and drinking.

I really question the honesty of anyone who tries (tried) to put a positive spin on the snow conditions over the last few days there. The fact is, it rained right up to the highest peaks in the whole area AND did so very heavily penetrating deep into the base. This was followed by cold, windy and overcast weather which made for incredibly bad on-piste conditions. Off piste would have been only for seriously retarded people who don't mind putting themselves (and possibly others) at risk. Think about it, heavy snow followed by high winds, followed by 2 days of rain and then 15-20cms of heavy snow on top of that! There was absolutely no bonding between the layers in any of the areas I went to. Believe me, when it comes to being able to find good places to suit the conditions in Hakuba I have a lot of knowledge so I find it almost impossible that someone found some magical area that had some good snow.

Going out and having fun is totally different from finding good conditions. I had fun too... but I was with good friends (which is all that really matters in the end smile )

It wasn't directed at you Matt.

@Muika, if you go all the way to Zao I hope you don't get disappointed. At least Hakuba is only a few hours away for me! We got lucky 1 out of 4 days. I haven't seen any stats on what the chances of good weather are but if you can go mid-week I thought you can easily make a last minute decision when the forecast looks good! Didn't seem that busy mid-week at all (we were the only ones staying in our hotel from Sunday to Tuesday)

I thought the topic was about current conditions. confused

Anyhow, me too BM! It's about 4 hours drive from my area of Niigata and I am thinking of staying 2 nights. A day trip is out of the question and 1 night is too much of a rush and risky re: weather. So I'm hoping that 3 chances of decent weather will do the trick.

friend

You did say this though...

Quote:
I've been out most days since mid January and its only sucked since tuesday this week. Before that I was getting bottomless powder everyday

As well as the unrealistic chance of it being bottomless by Tuesday as well.

I know I am probably annoying one or two of you, but the mis-representation and just annoys me in turn. Sorry.

I was getting bottomless powder everyday (albeit sometimes only in north facing slack country - I almost never ski on the runs)

That is a pretty big caveat. Most people never go back country. And if they do, unless they pay for a tour or have friends who can come pick them up, they're looking at an hour's walk along the road back to the closest lift.

Basically, I feel like that those who constantly talk up good conditions (while trying to down play bad conditions) are ruining it for me because I'm getting skeptical about other's motivation. How can I believe reports/comments that are positive about the place in the future when people have been dishonest or misleading in the past. I usually rely on my own observations about weather patterns to make decisions about where to go and when but I enjoy being able to get a little 'on the ground' feedback as well (sometimes it tips the scale for me when I'm trying to make a decision). It's a shame that I have to question some people's honesty but it looks like I'll have to increasingly do so.

Bottom line is, when the conditions are good, I'll be sure to tell everyone. When they are bad, I'll be sure to tell everyone. And if I see something obviously misleading I'm not going to just shrug it off! wink

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Bottom line is, when the conditions are good, I'll be sure to tell everyone. When they are bad, I'll be sure to tell everyone. And if I see something obviously misleading I'm not going to just shrug it off! wink

Most definitely! friend