I didn't time my trip to Hakuba well - rain yesterday, icy today.

Bloody awful it was.

I was planning on being here until Monday but I think I'm going back home tomorrow, this is just not fun. I'd say we need 50cm or so to give good cover and make things decent and that totally looks like not happening in the next few.

:sad:

/rant

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was planning on being here until Sunday myself. Went searching at both Tsugaike and Happo for something good but it was heavy snow on icy concrete today. Looks like I'll be heading home tomorrow. Fingers crossed the conditions improve soon!

Sounds like it. Because it sucked.

If you honestly thought what you wrote, you obviously have not experienced good snow.

It's hard to see your original comment as being anything other than simply misleading.

Remind me to ignore your comments in future.

Did you love the 'knee-deep' snow we had overnight? lol party

After over 30 years on the hills, i think i have an idea of what good snow is like. I never said anything about powder, there was enough soft stuff over the ice to make it enjoyable for myself. Then again, perhaps all the years skiing and snowboarding have made it possible for meto enjoy conditions that aren't 'optimal'.

Too bad you didn't have a good time.

And the touch of new snow and grooming made it a pretty good today as well.

Was there yesterday and today myself I agree with you and BM and -20.7.

It was bad.

Not enough to cover the ice where I was - by a long way.

I'll be waiting for a considerable snowfall before going again.

I'd advise other people to do the same if you can.

I've got about 10 years experience. I do hope that makes my opinion count enough. lol

Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
And the touch of new snow and grooming made it a pretty good today as well.

I think it must be Hakuba, the one not in Japan.
Sounds like you're scraping as much as I was on the mountain today! lol

I haven't been, but I'm not sure which part of the 362cm cover at the top of Goryu (252 at the bottom) merits this comment:

Quote:
I'd say we need 50cm or so to give good cover and make things decent

I won't contradict you guys in saying that it was hard, and in the areas with heavy traffic, it was icy as well. And i agree, a nice dump of snow would be nice.

I suppose i can still remember last season, when the conditions WERE completely crappy, and being able to ride on natural snow this year is still a treat.

I am not a carving nazi at all, but i honestly didn't find the conditions bad enough to prevent me from having fun, which is what i usually refer to a 'crappy'.

The park was in pretty good condition as well.

I didn't WANT it to be crappy. I spent money and my time to be there. But it just was no way round it.

It reminded me a lot of last year actually.

Anyway I wouldn't want to be going again when it's like it is and I wouldn't recommend other people to either.

That's all.

wave

well, sorry to hear you guys aren't having fun in hakuba. i've jsut left myoko. we had 15cm on thursday night which made for a fun, but not epic day on friday. there was a nasty crust but if you were 'gentle' you could ride mellow off-piste without any dramas.

having said that, i was surprised by the amount of rain we got up there. 3 days last week, and a couple of days over the past month.

myoko is sufficiently close to hakuba to have similar climatic conditions.. is this amount of warm weather normal?

lots of locals in myoko were talking about how much snow they've had this season. compared to time i've spent in hokkaido, i thought it was good, but not crazy. plus it's been warm. is this par for the course?

I put in four hours at Happo yesterday. Up to 20cm of heavy on ice. On the piste, a lot of it was scraped away, meaning just ice. Whiteout into the bargain. Usagi/Kurobishi were a nightmare, rock solid moguls. It looked like the rain on Wed went all the way up to top lift. Skyline wasn't too bad, it's too wide and too off the gondola track to get heavy traffic. The trees I went in had no more than 20cm. Any tight turn was straight through to ice.

A bit of bonding and a bit of grooming and we'll be back to firm and fast on piste. I might get my hardboot board out on Monday.

By the way, this season is like chalk and cheese with last season. Last season you would have had bare patches on piste and slush in late January. Early April type conditions. This year not only are there are no bare patches, pretty much every offpiste line lower down that ever opens up is open. That's how much snow there is. I can ride trees behind my house even, and we're on the non-snowy side of town. In spite of lots of snowblowing, I've not seen the ground for two months.

I can't see anyone arguing about there being no 'cover'.

Doesn't matter how much snow depth you have if the top is thick ice. More snow depth will of course hopefully mean that the season will be long.

Hilarious seeing people coming out with the "oh last year was SO SHITE" comments to compare to this year.

They were the ones desperately talking it up last season at the time. [Not you Mr Wiggles]

Don't know where you are getting that from, Rob, but "serious snow" is not on the forecast in the coming week. Light snow from time to time and that's about it.

confused

Originally Posted By: -20.7
It reminded me a lot of last year actually.
wave

The reason I made that comment was.... er.... because it reminded me a lot like last year.

doh

Cheesy flavored chalk perhaps.