Hello,

I am planning my snowboarding trip to Japan and during the inevitable googling sessions found this forum which is quite interesting and informative.

So I would appreciate if I could get more opinions on my dilemma - where yo go to smile

basically I am arriving on third week of march, which as I understand is already lil bit too late for nagano area, so I am currently thinking of niseko as the popular option versus furano, not so popular, but I understand that comparable place. I am thinking of spending one week snowboarding and one more week traveling around. I am interested in moderate hiking, would not mind to hike for da fresher turns. somewhere I read that in that sense furano is not very nice, as from what I have heard, they do not like ppl going offpiste, dunno if it is really so. so can anyone please share their opinions on which place to go to in mid march? maybe it is something else, neither niseko or furano?

cheers,

Ivars

Furano will most likely still be a bit colder than Niseko at that time with maybe a better possibility of powder. From what I understand currently Furano has taken a similar attitude to off-piste skiing as does Rusutsu. That being it's still not really allowed but they mostly turn a blind eye to those doing it. It is also reasonably close to Asahidake where you can really enjoy some great off-piste just under the peak of Hokkaido's highest mountain. Spectacular place.

Niseko can still be great as well and will be very quiet compared to peak season. Of course no problems with plenty of off-piste skiing available here and lots of nearby peaks that have great backcountry Spring skiing. Kind of hard really to recommend one over the other to be honest.

From Mid December through to end of Feb in terms of visitor numbers. In terms of snow I'd say from mid Dec to about mid March. By the last couple of weeks of March snowfalls are less frequent and it is starting to regularly get above freezing at the base. The snow is definitely starting to turn more Springlike by then.

Up in the centre of Hokkaido it stays a bit cooler for longer and especially a place like Asahidake that has a bse altitude of nearly 1000m the snow can still be excellent without the bone chilling cold of mid winter.

Niseko is easy especially if it's your first ski trip to Japan. Everything can be organised in english. No real cultural or language problems coming here. When you're thinking of coming Niseko is starting to wind down for the season. Some of the restaurants and bars may have already closed although this year due to the timing of Easter they may stay open a little longer than usual. There'll not be huge crowds of foreigners so you'll defenitely feel like you're still in Japan.

Furano is also reasonably easy to organise things in english and the town there is not a little seasonal village like here. It's actually much busier in summer in Furano than in winter. I'd check their website though to see when lifts are scheduled to close. Will all lifts still be running at that time. It won't be lack of snow to reduce the number of lifts but lack of people to afford to keep them running.

I'm sure you'd have a great time at either place. Skiing off the peak at Niseko on a fine March day with views to the ocean and Mt Youtei is pretty spectacular. The peaks up around Furano are also pretty awesome. As I said it's hard to recommend one over the other.

• 4 weeks later...

yes, thanks a lot, the answers here were very useful, was afraid to post just a thanks here, would look like just thread bashing or how it was called when you post something like thanks and that's it, just so that my thread would appear on top of the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

This is very interesting reading. Tell me WHY is Furano not as busy as Niseko???? We were told that off piste skiing is an absolute no no and your pass will be immediately confiscated and that Furano has very little infrastructure and because it is so quiet there alot of the places a closing down. Is this true??

With another year of Japanese lessons I should be able to say more than thank you, hello, how are you lol So I am now feeling a little braver about travelling to different resorts.

haha....you fell for the "tell the Ozzie's a horror story" to keep em away!!! wink

Never been to Furano, REALLY wanna though, but isn't Furano an acual town/city? so the Infrastructure will be there....or as much there as any other city...no?

Furano is a great little town with plenty of infrastructure. From what I understand the patrol have now started a bit more of a policy like they have in Rusutsu, off-piste skiing is still officially not allowed but they mostly just turn a blind eye to it. Anyone confirm this?

2 years ago when I was there the policy was quitre strictly enforced.

As for infrastructure, there is plenty, two linked fields to ski and some quite interesting routes to ski. The town is a couple of minutes walk away across the river, with any number of nice little restaurants.

This season we spent the afternoon skiing and boarding off piste under one of the lifts at the top of the resort. No one said anything.

Cant remember the lifts name

Well one thing about Furano is it puts you within striking distance of the highest mountain on the island (Asahi-dake, 2209 m.) Guides are highly recommended but if there is any powder to be had late march, you will probably have a better chance of hitting it. Being further from the ocean too, the storms tend to get rid of the rain and cool down before they arrive. Not as much precip but more tends to be snow than rain.

The big storm has just blown through Niseko and it sounds like Furano is getting it at the moment.

Errrr wait, I mean yeah Furano's rubbish. Best stay away smile