A new feature, "Ex-Rookie Meanderings in Melting Snow" by James Hardy, has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-59.html

"The last five months have seen jumps, falls, bruised tailbones, broken wrists and a fair amount of elation too - but class, what exactly have we learnt? The highs and lows of Tohoku snow are examined, as ski hills turn to golf courses and tennis courts. Snow tyres have been changed, ski racks removed, and Xebio sports is now awash with hiking equipment, some of it bright pink. Let's looking back at the 2002-3 season, and examine the snow that was."

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-59.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here....

Quote:
Originally posted by dale#1:
Sounds like you had some fun.

Where are those middle pics taken?
They were taken at ALTS Bandai, Fukushima Ken, on 25th January - ALTS can be good until the end of January, but after that it gets icy as hell - and you are better going to resorts on the other side of Mt Bandai, like Inawashiro, or Nekoma.

I think the backpack is the HUGE ones you see sometimes. People decked out in their 80s fluro gear that are so obviously not going BC or anywhere that they might need a backpack full of stuff.

As for kids strapped to their backs I cant believe that its allowed. Everyone falls over at stupid times sometimes, so why are these kid wearers any different? So stupid GET A BABYSITTER mad.gif

My jacket is red. I must be hardcore :p

Nice article. Gomi scrounging can turn up good stuff, dont knock it.

re - backpacks - Zwelgen gets what i mean - if you are going BC, or in risk areas, fair enough, but at a day resort? I don't see how carrying the contents of your winter wardrobe will save your life on the beginners run.

As for babies on backs, I was talking about people carrying the littl'uns in front of them while they ski down the hill... but either way is flipping stupid. (And don't get me started on kids standing on the dashboards of cars.)

but cheers for the replies - any feedback is cool.

James

Quote:
Originally posted by peterson:
Are the resorts over in Fukushima less busy compared to Niigata/Nagano?
well - i haven't been over to Nagano very much, but most of the time Fukushima is quite empty - a few weekends of the year it can get busy, but nothing like the bigger resorts I have visited ie Zao or Appi. One place which can get busy is Gran Deco, because it has a reputation for having great powder later that anywhere else around the region - i met people from Chiba there in March.

Aizu kogen Takatue is an uncrowded fukusima treasure! I love that place!

but they are still a bit behind the times with some of their polocies mad.gif boarders not allowed on the summit chair...and that is where the best tree lines are too!

danz