• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all shot in the UT backcountry. Some not so gnarly stuff as it is avy season and there are avid reoccurring spots for rocks smile

As the season progresses and we get snow (hopefully) we will be able to get some bigger BC stuff in

Great clip mitch its so clear to watch.Have a go pro as well we use it for mountain biking as well.Wish I could ski as good as you guys to gft footage like that.

Mitch, can i suggest a variation?

is it possible to record a run or two with the camera pointed very slightly higher? so we see a bit more of the scenery and less of the skiis?

ive never been BC, but i imagine you spend more time looking down than you might on a groomer

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
Mitch, can i suggest a variation?

is it possible to record a run or two with the camera pointed very slightly higher? so we see a bit more of the scenery and less of the skiis?

ive never been BC, but i imagine you spend more time looking down than you might on a groomer

Actually already considered that. Great input though and I love constructive criticism! I kind of failed at knowing how to angle it precisely and it was a fault of my own really. Look forward to seeing more in front of me from now on!

yeah gareth is spot on with the angle change! nice footy though, one more little suggestion is a more steady/stable mount, the camera gets really jerky when you hit anything rough...or do drops. i use a vio pov and it has very stable mounts so you dont get that jittery feel. lots of velcro and cable ties come in handy, but i guess it sounds like you have more gear though...so disregard this if it's already sorted!

The way the news mobs get "steady" camera shots even though they're running along the road, is to have a bloody heavy "stability belt" attached to the camera's base with about 4 light but strong links (a bit of aluminium tube, for example).

The poor bloody cameraman is weighted down with this stuff. Anything that is taken on the move without this setup is likely to be a bit jumpy.

"Real" video, taken in real time and without the benefit of this sort of stuff, is likely to be a bit jumpy. You gotta give the man a bit of credit. The footage is awesome!

The angle thing can be fixed by changing the mount angle of the cam. Easy! Please, Mitch, don't change the way you ski! Could be dangerous! Just change the cam mount angle!

Thanks guys, and yeah it is about as stable as it's going to get without adding another 30 pounds of material. Plus I sort of like the instability as sort of an organic being there feel. Maybe it's just me but the point of POV footage is to put you in the rider's perspective.

Originally Posted By: thursday
WTF is that about? I don't tink that is an appropriate viewpoint.

Well, Fp was getting picky about the stability, roscoe suggested that Fp might feel the need to submit some of their own work for purposes of comparison. I agreed.

whoa whoa whoa, hold up guys, i wasnt picking on MP's riding or the vid, just making a legit comment for feedback on the look of the vid which any respecting videographer would do, without that kind of input you sometimes dont pick up on it... i love getting it because it helps polish the end result and your vids get better and better...

i wasnt saying the whole thing is too jerky, but just when on the rough stuff like in the latter half of the vid on the cat tracks etc...you can see the cam shaking in the mount which would not be what MP's head is actually doing it's just caused by a kind of looseness between the cam/mount/helmet.

i will put up some stuff but nothing edited yet...so just bear with me a while. so far all i have is mainly groomer stuff on this trip as we have no new snow and not heading out BC until we do. but soon i promise.

otherwise MP keep em coming...i did enjoy it all the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been able to post in a while guys. Been shredding on piste terrain park stuff. I'm waiting for my friend to finish some editing of footage from today, but to give a little taste...

20747_246215604316_178131919316_3313211_

The actual kicker that you take off from is about 5.5 m tall and the gap that you have to clear is about 21m. Needless to say you are about 10m off the deck on this jump and the first time is pretty scary. Haven't got much for tricks on it, just a few spins, but expect a video shortly!

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Not into park stuff at all myself, what's the point when you can ski waist deep powder? party

But do admire those who can do it. Looking forward to the vid as well mitch.

GN if we had waist deep powder I would be shredding that right now. Unfortunately no new snow in 3 weeks is driving my park skiing forward smile