Muikamachi Hakkaisan, Niigata - 29th December 2009

This morning started off cloudy but late morning it was clearing up so I decided to get over to Hakkai-san for a bit of fun - 10cm or so of new snow on the mountains so conditions should be pretty good high up I thought. Hakkai-san is about 10 minutes from the Muikamachi IC of the Kanetsu Expressway just to the north of the Yuzawa area.

Arriving at the resort, the mountain was pretty much covered with cloud and from the top of the ropeway nothing much could be seen. Then within a space of about 15 minutes, it totally cleared up and for about 30-45 minutes we were treated to some brilliant blue skies and almost perfect weather. Wow, brilliant.

Amazingly, as I was packing up to go home the mountain was once again covered in clouds.

Anyway this is what Hakkai-san and the skijo look like.

I said this last year but it's a really decent resort and as you can see Hakkai-san is an impressive looking mountain. Long and quite steep course, most of which is rough and not groomed. Lots of trees. And high up the snow conditions were actually really good. Recommended*.

(* as is the Hakkai-san beer! friend )

My next ski will probably be next month, so looking forward to lots of snow over the new year.

muikabochi_2027.JPG

muikabochi_2061.JPG

muikabochi_2060.JPG

muikabochi_2050.JPG

muikabochi_2058.JPG

muikabochi_2056.JPG

muikabochi_2055.JPG

muikabochi_2053.JPG

muikabochi_2052.JPG

Superb. clap

I like Hakkai-san, next time I'll give you a call perhaps and we can meet up?

Good to hear the snow was good up there. Should be fantastic early Jan after this snow dump on it's way.

• SnowJapan Admin

snowhuntress, that is actually something we have been discussing - we think it's a great idea and my colleague has done a bit of a test run with some personal photos. Give us a bit of time.

Wonderful photos, muikabochi. thumbsup