A new Ocean's View feature, "Looking Back", has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/oceans-view-13.html

The 2002/2003 season was an absolute corker by any standards. Well, it was for me at least.

The desperate prayers and frenzied dancing of hundreds of supplicants were rewarded by early snow of the like I’ve never seen before. Looking back through my Journals I see that there was snow on the higher peaks as early as October 2nd and my first trip out to Hakuba 47 was on November 15th. Conditions were excellent and there was even a bit of powder around.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/oceans-view-13.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here....

Ehime Ocean do you really wnat to move there?

Nice write as always. I still believe the end balance of skiers to riders is almost even, In Japan the kids are trendy and will jump on any hip band wagon. Whistler reported higher skier numbers for the first time last year in a long time.

Shame about the Guvnor supporting "Old Man Knobism". And here I was viewing him as a prototype for NU-breed regional politicians who can shake-up system. At least he stopped them building anymore of those ****en dams which seem to serve no tangible purpose other than clogging up the backcountry.

I like the idea of belting them around the head very much. It's pretty sad how the allocation of what I assume are public funds can end up under the control of people who are detrimental to the intended effect of boosting the region.

Fanks for the comments.

echineko, I've never really liked 47 that much - I don't like the layout particularly. I liked that they were very quick to open and give people the goods, but their courses aren't that nice to ride, and their patrolling is a nuisance.

Fattwins, sometimes during the winter when I'm not actually boarding, Ehime looks very attractive. The Inland Sea is very nice, as are the rivers in Shikoku - lots of fun to be had there. Also proximity to mum-in-law would be nice (honest!) But I'm torn - I don't know what to do.

Davo, Tanaka also has his own page about this gig where he does mention snowboarding in passing, but all the people involved in the committee are 100% old-fart ski. It is indeed tragic that the funds appropriated for these initiatives are wasted. How could they possibly miss the opportunities that appealing to boarders (and new-school skiers who also aren't represented) offer?

I have to disagree with your opinions on orange. Although I am a red jacket rider I think that orange is very cool indeed and practical too in blizzard conditions is very handy for spotting mates.

This evening's local news mentioned in passing the apparent failure of the Ski Kingdom promotional gambit. A survey of Nagano's ski resorts (snowboard resorts weren't mentioned) showed a further decrease of 3% in visitors. This dismal failure was attributed to it being only the first year of the scheme. I wonder how many visitors to the Kingdom were even aware that a Nagano-wide project was in place. 5? 6 maybe?

It was also noted that those resorts that had renewed themselves with a family-oriented approach has seen a slight increase in visitors.

Well, if any of the organizers think that a smack in the head with a snowboard might be what they need to make it more of a success next year, I'll be only too happy to oblige...

I think it would be great fun to sit in the loungeroom with Ocean watches the news. The sighing and carrying on would be great as stories like this came on. It is great to watch people talk to the tv, I do it all the time (when I actually watch it).

I used to speak to the tv when it was turned off. I was lonely.

oh yeah, I enjoyed the read Ocean. cheers.

db

Haha, sussed!

It usually starts with a sharp "Shut up, I want to listen to this!"

Followed by all the sighing, muttering, rhetorical questions and carrying on.

Then comes the reposte "I thought you said 'Shut up'"