MB, within my first week of arriving in Japan we were hit by a massive typhoon, earthquake, and landslide. Followed shortly by a volcano eruption... I was seriously wondering why I didn't stay in Canada where none of these problems occur... now its par for the course!

got woken up at around 5.40am by a shaker, then was sitting at my desk at work, just settled down with a cup of coffee and off we pop again!! This wasn't so bad though, it was a tiny shake... the kind where you hardly feel the actual shaking but its like getting a bout of vertigo. You know you are moving but your brain can't fathom why!! lol

Originally Posted By: nagoid
Something to do with magma. Cool.

Great...magma in my basement. It's still shaking about every 15 minutes...just like it did before Ooshima blew it's top ten years or so ago.

Every 15 minutes wow.

I remember after the Chuetsu jishin it just went on and on and on and on, I was gradually worn down by it all. After about 4 days of it I was a bit of a wreck and a few more weeks I was very much a wreck. Keep yourself positive!

Thanks.. Chuetsu was nasty...all those folks living in their cars. You are right about getting worn down. Earthquakes arghh...one more reason to move back to Hokkaido. A house on the beach in Izu as beautiful as it is certainly has it's risks..

Some of my friends said they felt the one the other morning, I must have been in a deep sleep or something, because I didn't feel anything or today!

It is always a wonder when they strike as you never know if its going to be the big one or not!

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
Originally Posted By: Chriselle
Thanks.. Chuetsu was nasty...all those folks living in their cars. You are right about getting worn down. Earthquakes arghh...one more reason to move back to Hokkaido.

Does Hokkaido not have earthquakes???

Yes. I lived up there for four years and there was the odd shake. But nothing like the Izu penninsula which has a pretty impressive history of earthquake devastation. Interestingly, a few years ago there was a magma "explosion" where it fissured up 20 or 30 meters off the beach on the other side of the bay to where my house is. At that time there were months of movement granted not as violent as we are seeing this time.
This current activity is highly localized to Ito. Even 20 km away.. friends aren't feeling much of anything.

"a few years ago there was a magma "explosion" where it fissured up 20 or 30 meters off the beach on the other side of the bay to where my house is."

veryshocked !!!

I think that would be enough to get me to move!