Originally Posted By: samandfee
where can we see some kind of graph with lets say 10/15 years of snow depth and weather conditions and temps in Japan resorts....... clearly marked on

Historical snow data for Japan is shrouded in mystery. From what I read on this board it seems like there isn't any official, independently gathered data (in the way rainfall is recorded with automated machines). Resorts report their own data by looking out of the window - "That's about 20cm since yesterday" - and conveniently forgetting to report anything when it rains.
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking about how much snow and which season was good and bad,where can we see some kind of graph with lets say 10/15 years of snow depth and weather conditions and temps in Japan resorts....... clearly marked on........i imagine there would be a clear trend if this "global warming" is fact or fiction........the reason for that is here in Fremantle WA we have just had the coldest winter i can remember just the most cold/wet days .

there is too much yearly variation in weather to say one year is proof of global warming,and the next big snow year clearly contradicts it. Thats why the minimum timeline scientists work with for climate trends is 30 years.

If you want to really check if Global Warming is happening, there is one surefire way.

Sea level rise. It is only caused by two things- water expansion and added water from melting glaciers. Both of which are only caused by one thing- warming temps.
Originally Posted By: kokodoko
How about stop arguing about climate change and just

1. stop polluting
2. recycle
3. stop logging forests
4. use renewable energy sources like sun, wind, geothermal, etc.

That would be a huge start and improve the environment.

i agree, and thats great and everything. While your at it, ask Santa to send copies of 'The Limits of Growth ' to all of the buisness leaders and shareholders that profit from environmental destruction.

Or for the collapse of industrial capitalism. I'm not picky.
Talking about how much snow and which season was good and bad,where can we see some kind of graph with lets say 10/15 years of snow depth and weather conditions and temps in Japan resorts....... clearly marked on........i imagine there would be a clear trend if this "global warming" is fact or fiction........the reason for that is here in Fremantle WA we have just had the coldest winter i can remember just the most cold/wet days .

Basically comments like the above show just how little the average person understands anything about the science of global warming and why it is so easy to be swayed by pseudo-science and complete and utter fiction. In fact I never ceased to be amazed at just how little people know about science and scientific methods in general. It's quite scary atually being well into the 21st century how scientifically illiterate most people still are.

But why would someone who is, say, an accountant (insert any other job/profession that has nothing to do with science) have the need for much detailed science and scienfific methods knowledge?

Originally Posted By: klingon
But why would someone who is, say, an accountant (insert any other job/profession that has nothing to do with science) have the need for much detailed science and scienfific methods knowledge?

So they can make informed public policy decisions in the voting booth?
So can I presume then that you are fully informed, read-up and knowledgeable on each and every subject out there?

Wow that sure is very impressive.

no, but the media sure isn't doing their job with informing people properly. Thats a big part of the problem.
Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
the media sure isn't doing their job with informing people properly.

Ah, so THAT's what they are for! Always wondered!

Actually, I knew that was the theory, just very rarely put into practice!

I'm not talking about detailed science I'm talking the most rudimentary understanding of what scientists do and how they do it. Even this most basic knowledge appears to be lacking in most people I meet. It is little wonder to me that people still believe such ridiculous things as gods, ghosts, astrology, etc considering they have so little understanding of the natural world around them. At times I almost despair at just how butt dumb the average person out there is.

@ Oyuki kigan - so, you're a journalist/media personality? Or just an arsehole?

(Can someone explain why arse and ass are the same? One is a fundamental orifice of an animal body, the other is an entire animal. How did they get confused?

Originally Posted By: Go Native

Basically comments like the above show just how little the average person understands anything about the science of global warming and why it is so easy to be swayed by pseudo-science and complete and utter fiction. In fact I never ceased to be amazed at just how little people know about science and scientific methods in general. It's quite scary atually being well into the 21st century how scientifically illiterate most people still are.
.....Well what makes you an Oxford scholar my learned friend...i must inform you that i am not scientifically illiterate by any stretch of the imagination,..and recently i took one train trip from Hong Kong to shanghai and on that journey looked out of the window at what is going up in the air from a million chimney stacks of a million colours and has been for a long time,that i can assure you is not pseudo-science and complete and utter fiction, i am fully aware of the planets smoking problem,......but show me the facts....with further reading you might also think that we are headed for the next ice age not global warming catastrophe
problem,......but show me the facts....with further reading you might also think that we are headed for the next ice age not global warming catastrophe

hope so....at least a mini ice age...the boarding would be epic!!
wink

To no one imparticular...

1. Fact....The Earth is currently going through a period of global warming.

2. a large fraction of news/media is privately owned. Their role is to make money, whether or not that is through informing the public impartially on current events is to a large degree irrelevant to the business model.

3. The debate is whether or not it is caused by human activity, most people who disagree do so because they can't be bothered having the discussion. It seems to be cool at the moment to disbelieve in climate change at the moment, yet when you try to engage these people in intelligent conversation you get anything but.

Show me the evidence is not a valid argument. It is out there (not just the 6 o'clock news) so go read it and formulate your own opinion.

G's out...drops mike, walks off.........

Seriously, I don't give a shit. Shit happens. My skiing will be done and then I die. My son's skiing will be done and then his generation will figure it out. And all this climate change will be small change.

Give yourself a rest. This world is bigger than your ego.