• SnowJapan Admin

A few votes for blizzards at resorts in Hiroshima and Aomori, posted on the same day, coming from Argentina (!) amongst others have been deleted, but yes good to see - even if some will probably not call it a blizzard.

thumbsup

For those who might not know what this thread is referring to, please read this:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/A_TO_Z_ResortVoteChart.php?caldate=2009-11-19

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/331606/09_10_SITE_UPDATES_Real_time_r.html

It's snowing reasonably heavily at the moment but I wouldn't really call it a blizzard. The winds are not overly strong and although some may consider this really heavy snow it's not that heavy for here.

Yes the questions what is a blizzard and what is just snow come to mind.

Everyones going to have their own snowing/blizzard borderline. Most of the votes are for just Snow, so we can make our own conclusions from that.

But whatever. it's a really good fun indicator anyway! groovy

Er maybe not every 15 minutes! lol

Normal day at Kagura last season wasn't blizzard unfortunately. Last season there were probably just 2 days I would have said that where I am, more up there of course.

I hope there will be a fair few this year.

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Do the roads ever close in those areas? Here the Canyons are closed all the time. Is this something to be used to? Also how are Japanese drivers in the snow ? lol

Occasionaly some roads can be closed from heavy snowfall. A couple of years ago I was coming back from Kurodake through Obihiro and there were very strong northerly winds on the plains which caused massive drifting across all the east-west roads closing most of them. Had to take a very long way around to get home.
The drivers in Hokkaido are not too bad. Most have grown up driving on snowy roads for 6 months each year.

Here in Niigata even with mad amounts of snow they seem to cope in all but the most extreme conditions. Sprinklers in the roads, big machines moving snow all the time. This region relies a lot on the winter season guests and so they are very well prepared.

I usually keep a good distance from the cars that have Tokyo / Saitama / Kanagawa license plates!

Originally Posted By: SJForums
A few votes for blizzards at resorts in Hiroshima and Aomori, posted on the same day, coming from Argentina (!) amongst others have been deleted

Coming from Argentina doesn't necessarily make them invalid. They might be using a proxy server.
  • SnowJapan Admin

I know that and the system we have is slightly more sophisticated than simply looking at that.

I rather doubt that they could have been in a blizzard at 16 different ski resorts in Hiroshima, Nagano, Yamanashi, Tochigi, Yamagata, and Aomori in the course of a period of 90 minutes. On a day when the weather was lovely and fine in all those places.

Originally Posted By: SJForums
I rather doubt that they could have been in a blizzard at 16 different ski resorts in Hiroshima, Nagano, Yamanashi, Tochigi, Yamagata, and Aomori in the course of a period of 90 minutes. On a day when the weather was lovely and fine in all those places.

Wayyyyyyy to strict there SJ grandpa lol

wink keep up the good work
  • SnowJapan Admin

Without wanting the convert this thread into something else, it's worth pointing out that we totally do not want to have to be checking and deleting anything - it's only when something is flagged as obviously incorrect that we'll look and get rid if it really is clearly someone messing about.