If you could choose just one ski resort in all Japan for a total beginner...

I would choose Iwappara in Yuzawa. It really is good for beginners, can't think of anywhere I would take anyone that would be better.

*also got some decent stuff for non-beginners but not the most choice. I don't go often I like more of a challenge. Pretty views too.

sounds like a template answer.

lots of beginner slopes, lots of English speaking instructors, lots of snow.

If said begiinner is thoroughly demoralized, lots of other things to do. Swimming, shopping, drinking, horse riding, snowmobiling, chasing penguins, watching an ice rink being built..

all this can be had at the one and only..... Niseko, where dreams are white and powdery. :barf:

I'd venture a guess and go Furano or various areas in Shiga Kogen... mainly because they're the only places I've gone, but they are also very beginner friendly in terms of numbers of people on slopes, difficulty of runs etc... Also, SK allows for the beginner to get better, as there is a massive amount of terrain and you can virtually traverse between main areas using just green or red runs..

Maybe the universe but I am yet to travel beyond Mars.

I have never seen Tsugaike beginner area busy. I think it is the most under utilised area around. With the massive meadows it would be difficult to cross anyone's path.

I'm somehow surprised that a Hakuba resort is being flogged as being the best beginners resort in the ultimaverse with huge meadows. I was thinking it was steep over there and that mere mortals would have difficulty surviving.

confused

Originally Posted By: Hokkaidough
I'm somehow surprised that a Hakuba resort is being flogged as being the best beginners resort in the ultimaverse with huge meadows. I was thinking it was steep over there and that mere mortals would have difficulty surviving.

confused
\
You read it wrong Hok. Just in the world. As I mentioned I hadn't been beyond Mars so I am in no place to judge by universe standards.

Tsugaike has a huge low gradient area at the base which is serviced by 4 lifts. Anywhere else in the world (maybe universe) it would be developed on.

Have you been to Hakuba Hokkaidough?? Have you seen Cortina, Tsugaike, Norikura, Happo, 47/Goryu before?

Hakuba isnt a resort either. There is no Hakuba resort that you speak of. Tsugaike resort isnt that great, but the touring from it, and the slackcountry is sick.

Yamakashi_1.jpg

Yamakashi_2.jpg

This is somewhere around Tsugaike with a sustained pitch of 40+

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Have you been to Hakuba Hokkaidough?? Have you seen Cortina, Tsugaike, Norikura, Happo, 47/Goryu before?

Nope. I was simply having a fun bet with a few friends here to see how long it would take for one of you guys to come back with such a post.

I lost. I betted for less than an hour. My friend Peter won, he said between 3 and 4 hours. doh
It was fun anyway!
Originally Posted By: Hokkaidough

confused

great come back thumbsup

flat can mean hardpack - high traffic areas or shady with forest.

Sometimes the scariest part of the mountain is when there is concrete like hardpack at the base (particularly on a snowboard).

How about the Sun-Alpina resorts in the Hakuba valley? I would think they would be pretty good for a beginner (cheaper too). You also get much terrain with the three resort ticket. Also, all the cowboys avoid it because it's a family-focused resort. Best and cheapest on-mountain food and most attitude-free staff. It also has mens day every Weds for 2100 yen.

Originally Posted By: TJ OZ

hijack

following the lines of many threads lately.
Any other choices for best beginner areas.

It's the cops!!! veryshocked I hope you naughty boys behave now. naughty

That slope at Nozawa is really good for beginners, even if it ain't interesting. The one on the right hand side of the mountain as you look at it from the base.

I thought the slopes at Shiga Kogen were perhaps not the BEST for total beginners. Fairly busy with other people. Tsugaike certainly looked more the thing.

Yes that is a boring beginners area at Nozawa. Only looked, didn't look like fun to me!

Closest skiji to where I live, Muikamachi Minami is pretty wide and gentle on the main bit. Decent place to learn I reckon. Eerily empty as well midweek so be sure to take someone with you in case of emergencies!! wink

I suppose most resorts have at least a section that is good for beginners. What I would choose is somewhere that is fairly wide and not busy.