Hey so I searched and couldn't find this thread but I am sure this stuff has been asked.

How welcoming are people on Hokkaido and Sapporo to Americans in general? I have heard that girls generally like foreigners haha. Wasn't sure if this is true, but I have heard the beer is good too. I am trying to move to Japan at the end of next summer. I was just wondering what stereotypes were true in your experience and what wasn't.

Well hard question to answer because chicks loved me in Aussie & in Japan, so I really noticed no difference there razz but you say that you are Amerikano? well that might be different.

Beer is good too, but give me sho chu any day.

That's what I have heard, I am sure Hokkaido has quite the mix of nationalities in the resort areas. I would really like to learn about Japanese culture though and I am guessing that would be hard to do while living at staff housing at a resort.

Plus I am not too too worried about the girls. I usually manage smile

Plus everyone seems to like us now that Obama is elected.

I guess I fit in the not usually category then. I really don't have much to prove via internet :/

But really is it hard to meet people both guys and girls in bars and such if you don't speak a ton of Japanse?

lol

Here's what I think, report from inaka.

Like karnidge said there will be some who like you because you are a foreigner. But I reckon that's a small %. Most will need some convinging and charming. Others wouldn't even consider dating a foreigner. Either because they just wouldn't or you smell. Or something.

Okay, I have a few Japanese friends here and just have heard mixed stories. I found it surprisingly easy to meet people in Europe and North Africa.

Was just hoping I wouldn't be shunned for my nationality cheers

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
I guess I fit in the not usually category then. I really don't have much to prove via internet :/

But really is it hard to meet people both guys and girls in bars and such if you don't speak a ton of Japanse?

horse

And all depends where you go really - if you go to a busy touristy place with foreigners then you'll be able to survive but proper back water places and you'll struggle.

The age of the wonder and awe of the foreigner is very quickly coming to an end. Think either last week or the week before there was a report on zoom-in about it. Will check with the missus when it was as she told me about it.

mate don7t worry about it, Japanese can seem frosty to start with but they are in general and extremely hospitable bunch, even to a Yank!! wink

Japanese women LOVE foreign guys, just ask Charisma Man!! biggrin

That's my type of place...love Sapporo. Not too much selection in the states.

Mitch, you should check out Seattle sometime it has a great beer scene. For the cities I've visited only Portland beats it in terms of selection and quality. smile

You're in Utah right? I've heard that Park City has some decent micro brews, but never been. But Utah has the reputation for being uptight with alcohol. They can't sell beer that's as strong there or something even right?
Originally Posted By: Go Native
Well after they've given 10% of all they earn to the church of crazy day saints it really doesn't leave enough to feed the family and drink beer does it! lol

Don't open up that can of worms with me haha. I am not mormon and Salt Lake City has largely become de-mormonized. Don't get me wrong Mormons are great, but when they collectively act in a political climate I will be right there to shoot them down.
Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
That's my type of place...love Sapporo. Not too much selection in the states.

Mitch, you should check out Seattle sometime it has a great beer scene. For the cities I've visited only Portland beats it in terms of selection and quality. smile

You're in Utah right? I've heard that Park City has some decent micro brews, but never been. But Utah has the reputation for being uptight with alcohol. They can't sell beer that's as strong there or something even right?

I have been to Seattle and Portland, love them both but it rains too much for me haha. I need sun hence the reason I live in UT where it rains twice a summer.

Park City is great, I could name ever bar and every bouncer there. Here's the deal with alcohol...much like CO anything you buy in grocery stores is going to be 3.2% WEIGHT instead of by volume. Some of the beers it doesn't work out to be different at all and some it does. However, anything brewed in the state of UT (ie Squatters, Uinta, Red Rock, etc) is full percentage beer. Let me tell you, the microbrews here rival that of OR although OR still wins.