Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
does ANYONE actually use travellers cheques anymore?

I've been to Japan twice (non-snow trips) and have used them. It's somewhat of a hassle since you have to cash them when you're there, but over all I like them a lot. I just exchange them for Yen and don't bother trying to paying directly with them.

Benefits:
* Safer than bringing cash since AmEx will replace them if stolen

* No fees to exchange them.
* This might not be true for everyone. I'm in the US so of course there's no exchanging currencies since I've got USD already. Plus my bank does not charge me to get the travelers checks.

* If you have some left over after your trip then you don't lose money exchanging twice

Drawbacks:
* You have to go find a place to exchange. And I think they're not open on weekends, etc.

* One more thing to carry around.

Are there any places in Hirafu that will exchange travelers checks?
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can exchange travellers checks in Kutchan but there is nowhere in Hirafu that does.

It wasn't so long ago you couldn't even use a credit card at restaraunts etc.

As for the main topic here, it sounds like the carry trade is back on in force, this time funded in pounds and USD.

It'll wipe out Aussie jobs but for those still in work, cheap holidays ahead!

Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
Gtrain, thanks for that info. Def good to know since it'll impact my decision wrt travelers checks. How far away is Kutchan? Is there a shuttle?

Seriously I would strongly recommend against bringing travellers cheques.
Although banks in Kutchan may exchange them it'll probably mean quite a long wait. It'll probably take them a half hour or so just to find someone who knows how to process them.
Just bring cash or cards, you'll be fine.

Half a day?! Ha, in Tokyo it's seriously about 5-10 mins to get it changed.

I'll take peeps advice that it's a hassle in Niseko. And ya know, no use for either of us to beat a dead horse smile

LOL, in Tokyo it takes 5 - 10 minutes to get anything you want done. In the rest of Japan a half day is a fair estimate especially relating to banking / administrative junk. If you ever end up in places that aren't tourist friendly I think that you might not be able to use them period. (definately not without being charged anyway)

No doubt... but even though Kutchan is a tiny backwoods place they see their fair share of foreigners come through with crazy requests. The small backwoods place that I live in isn't so accommodating. I spent an entire morning once trying to send US$ to a UK bank account. I think I'm the first person to have ever made such a request as the entire banking operation came to a screeching halt for about 4 hours.

I can understand wanting to take travellers checks to places that might seem unsafe but there is no reason to bring them to Japan. Cash is king.

Like Gtrain I remember the days before credit cards gained popularity here, when you couldn't take cash from a machine after hours (or there just weren't any machines at all) and when there was no possible way to get cash during the holidays (I mean days at a time). I got so used to carry cash in those days that I still always have a few thousand dollars on hand.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
No doubt... but even though Kutchan is a tiny backwoods place they see their fair share of foreigners come through with crazy requests. The small backwoods place that I live in isn't so accommodating. I spent an entire morning once trying to send US$ to a UK bank account. I think I'm the first person to have ever made such a request as the entire banking operation came to a screeching halt for about 4 hours.

I can understand wanting to take travellers checks to places that might seem unsafe but there is no reason to bring them to Japan. Cash is king.

Like Gtrain I remember the days before credit cards gained popularity here, when you couldn't take cash from a machine after hours (or there just weren't any machines at all) and when there was no possible way to get cash during the holidays (I mean days at a time). I got so used to carry cash in those days that I still always have a few thousand dollars on hand.

what do you mean "I remember when..." its still like that!! lol

hmmmm...maybe in moderation - and perhaps you should switch to buying the big huge bags full and then resealing the bag after eating your fill

- then you would be reducing waste (in the packaging and the contents if you only felt like a small nosh)

- you would be saving money (coz we all know stuff is cheaper in bulk)

- you would be saving petrol/energy costs (coz you wouldn't need to go to the shop as often)

- and you might even save your waistline (coz you would get sick of the one flavor real quick wink )

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Just spend it! wink Gets rid of it quickly.

Not good for the environment though apparently this spending lark. I hope you spend it on something you absolutely need!

grandpa

That's reverse psychology marketing. You need to spend more.