I'm still looking into computer things and noticed that now that Windows is going 64 bit - well in a bigger way than before - you can load up a computer with a ton more memory than before. Vista 32 could only use 3MB right?

Well now it seems you can stock up on load - 128GB for 2 million yen extra from Dell! - so I'm wondering how much is good? You know to be fast and sexy but not going ridiculously over the top? Seems like going to 8GB or 12GB is 'affordable' but how much of a difference does that make?

Any words of wisdom?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again like in the graphics card thread, depends what you are going to use the pc for?

If lots of Graphic designing and using various applications, would go for 8gb as most motherboards at the moment have that as standard space available, if you wanted more, then the motherboards are going to cost more.

If running smaller apps, or ones that don't require lots of memory, then stick to 4gb as that'll be ample enough.

Also, try to buy DDR3 sticks as well as they are fastest on the market and future proof for next 5years or so.

You can see how much RAM you are using via Task Manager. Boot up a ton of apps and see how it handles it, you may be surprised by how little RAM you need. I find 1GB is enough for my needs, despite using photoshop and multiple apps at once etc.

Originally Posted By: shadowtec
I do a rebuild (new everything) about once every 4 years.. this machine is just over a year and a half old

OK geek. What are the specs. Please make us all jealous wakaranai

I have 2GB, a 2.33GHz CPU, 15" LCD laptop as the main machine. DOn't know anything else about it.

AMD dual core (64 bit) @ 3.02Ghz 4 gig of ram. cant remember how much hdd space. Nvidia GF 8800 GT (I have a 2nd one but I can't run SLI mode with dual monitors so there is no point plugging it in without warming up the flat) 40inch monitor primary with a 19inch secondary. with a Digital TV card in a 4ru rack mount case. I got a laptop because I grew tired of dragging the bloody thing into work on a trolley .

I upgrade only when I have a need (new bunch of games, projects etc)

/programmer but my main job is SNG tech (broadcasting)

Originally Posted By: thursday
Pro tools. Cool.

HEHE cheers mate. when I had the hot water service fixed when it blew a few weeks back. I said I may not have running water but least I am good with my geek tools

I have another question! smile

If, for the sake of argument, Dell and Sony were offering EXACTLY the same specs for a machine, which would be cheaper? Would I be right in thinking Dell would be cheaper (ie. giving you more for the same money?)

Thanks!

You see, that confuses me.

Is it not a simple case of 'Sony being more expensive'?

If they use the same kind of memory, the same graphics card, the same processor - ie. the same specs.... what else is there that will make it a 'depends on the parts'??

confused