The New York Times reports on the 25th September that "Japan Airlines pleaded on Thursday for a government bailout, but the country's new transport minister withheld support on concerns that the carrier's cost-cutting plans would not go far enough...

Japan Airlines, weighed down by $15 billion of debt and headed for its second consecutive annual loss, is being wooed by Delta Air Lines and a rival group led by American Airlines, which are offering capital in return for closer business ties...

The transport minister, Seiji Maehara, met with Mr Nishimatsu on Thursday. He reiterated that de did not want the airline to go bankrupt but said he was not ready to approve a request for the state to prop up the carrier by buying shares"

... Now ... this has made my holiday a lot more difficult !?!

Anyone else in Oz, been getting negative feedback about this topic?

One agent has already advised me to book with other airlines unless I sign a disclaimer!

Under normal circumstances should the airline fold, then the travel insurance should cover the lost monies paid, right?

Anyone take out the QBE insurance with snow cover? I wonder if they will have a policy change soon too?

Don't let this influence anyone away from taking the necessary insurance precautions, but I would be AMAZED if the Japanese government were to let JAL fail, especially because it's a new administration. They certainly wouldn't let it go down just to spite the outgoing LDP. Too many jobs, and far too much national pride, are at stake.

Whether they'll be able to find a long-term solution to JAL's pension deficit and rather obvious operational / management problems is another matter entirely, though...

SdS

Very much doubt it will affect ski season, except perhaps for those looking to fly to Sapporo from regional Japanese airports that have been huge money drains for JAL (and taxpayers). Just booked (provisionally) trips to Furano in late December and Niseko in early January, both on JAL, and have no qualms at all about it.

Originally Posted By: thursday
I would imagine that would affect a lot of Nagano people's livelihoods should that close.

More of a white elephant I think. The three scheduled flights didn't fly every day. Built as a status thing I suppose. Its more convenient to drive or shared taxi it to the main airports.

Its like Kobe airport - absolutely stupid idea that no-one wanted except a few corrupt oyajis with power. Its 50mins to kansai airport on the bus from downtown kobe, 30mins on the ferry!

My feeling about these kinds of business is: let them fail.

Originally Posted By: shadowtec
are there any low priced carriers in Japan like jetstar or virgun blue is to aus ?

There's AirDo that runs from Hokkaido to various major cities, but no real nationwide discount carrier.

The Matsumoto flights are only scheduled for certain days of the week.

An article today said the Osaka-Matsumoto flight operates at less than 40% full. No surprise there, I suppose. It also said 90% of JAL's domestic flights fail to break even. Break even is 70% full.

Once the highways are free, this will only get worse.

I went up on a almost empty 747 but the smaller plane I took on the way back (767 I think) was packed.

I wonder how a jetstar or virgin blue would do up there ? (remembering what virgin did for AUS airspace once they took root)

Interesting insight Mr Wiggles.

Despite my initiation of this post ... I've already paid my airfare to JAL ...four months in advance of my departure... all $4.7K of it ... for my first family ski holiday to Japan.

So, if anything I'm contributing to JAL staying afloat.. :-)

p.s. Shadowtec... I've seen on another posting at least two other domestic airlines ... just can't remember the names.

I don't think Japanese goverment would let JAL failed .... and they would not let American or Delta took it as well.

I flew 20+ JAL flight both domestic & international since I moved to Japan last year.... I loved JAL. Take take four ANA flight but not comparable to JAL.

Don't failed please...

Never experienced any delayed JAL flight (most of my trip itenary's tight so if any delay happens then it screws my iternary). More airports than other Japanese Airline it serves. Hostess's cute and does care passenger. There's once I have to take a flight to Bangkok when I'm sick .... they always come to check me. Award ticket also uses less mileage than ANA and star alliance. smile

Anyway, I do not love everything ... in someway JAL's too Japanese .... for example, landing preparation time is normally 30-40 minutes while some airline like Thai mostly 15-20 minutes. (Imagine if you take several flights a week how much you would hate sitting with belt fastened.)

Any idea on comparison vs ANA ??

Originally Posted By: minto
....Imagine if you take several flights a week how much you would hate sitting with belt fastened....

Seriously...if you are seated you SHOULD have your seat belt fastened anyway.

There is a lot of unforeseen turbulence that can cause you to hit the roof of the airplane - if you travel a lot, the chances only go up that you will have an experience like this at least once. No warning - just a sudden drop and you smash your head into the overhead lockers - head, face, neck and spine injuries are the most common.

Unrestrained babies are most at risk - the baby belts are not very comfortable for them - especially on a long haul flight. So I used a Mai Tai sling to keep mine attached to me whenever possible.

I usually only take my seat belt off to visit the bathroom/ or get up to let someone else out to visit the bathroom.