Yeah bad on the Coast as well not as bad as Sydney though. Day started off beautiful then by 10am the dust storm hit. We couldn't even see 100mt's in front of the shop and had to shut the doors to protect the stock from the red dust.

Got home to a house completely covered in red dust (left the windows open when I left).

Oh by the way no orange filter that is what it looked like as the dust was being blown in from the desert.

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
omg
picture of thredbo slopes this morning

merritsdust.jpg

OMG! Is that red dust settled on TOP of what is left of the snow?
Crikey!
That melt is amazing - the pic is of the Cruiser area, and that was ALL covered just over a week ago! Slushy, the odd bare patch on a tight corner, but good spring conditions.

The Basin still seems to have a reasonable cover from what I could tell on the webcams. But the base of the mountain is very tragic.

Sure hope the boys there get the anticipated dump this weekend so they can get a few more weeks out of it.
Originally Posted By: mina2
Whats with the orange?

Erm..That would be the sun trying to break through.

Check out this. Day to night in a minute. It wasn't that bad here, pretty freaky though...man have we got a clean up.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
It better be one massive dump to save that slope.

expectations range from 65cm-80cm, but with round the clock snowmaking as well, they may well get that back up and running for another few weeks.
Not worth me flying from Perth for though.

I was in Sydney this morning, it was pretty strange to see what is fairly common in the country area I live in.

Heading home this afternoon, the airport was still in Kaos with flights to the gold coast and Brisbane being cancelled as the dust reached there.

also australia is basically made of orange/red dust!! we went out into the deep bush for 10 days with only 2 pairs of shorts and 2 t-shirts, by the time we emerged t get our stuff from the campsite, it was like we all turned ginger!! Our clothes were dyed orange and had to be binned and my skin was the colour of a shibuya girl!!

I was working overnight and when I looked out the window when the sun was meant to rise It took me a min to work out what was going on I never seen a shade of red like that

This was at 8 am a couple of hours later on my camera phone

dust1.jpg

And yes I left the windows to my unit open all night

Oh no! Is all your stuff infiltrated with red dust?

I remember we drove from Perth to Wiluna (think remote hole and then nultiply that by a thousand or so) - to visit Papa's sister and her family who were working at the Wiluna Gold Mine.

We had a relatively new Chrysler Voyager People Mover - comfortable, great to drive, cruise control, DVD player/screens for the kids enjoyment - all it was lacking was the inflight hostie.

Well...we traded that car in about 2.5yrs later, and after numerous washes and details over those 2.5yrs it was STILL leaking red dust out of nooks and crannies when it washed.

doh

could have been - but wasnt! Red dust all the way.

When we were driving over the unsealed road from Meekathara to Wiluna - good few hours worth of it - we were seriously choked up - the rest dust was swirling throught the inside of the car even though we had all the vents and windows closed. I have never and will never do a trip like that again - it was horrid.

Yes I know that well

just sold my car and the guy wanted to know if if was from the mines

the red dust was just from the gravel tracks around Kalbarri

But yes it goes everywhere.

Commisserations east coast the only time I am happy when it's offshore

Seemore

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
omg
picture of thredbo slopes this morning

merritsdust.jpg

OK...I hadnt actually bothered to read the snow report emailed daily from Thredbo for the past few ... until this morning (curiosity, boredom, a bung shoulder and too much time on my hands - what can I say).

Have a look at the picture of those slopes above - CRUISER area that - and have a read below.
Originally Posted By: Thredbo snow report for Thursday 24th September
Snow Riding
There's some good spring skiing and boarding to be had by all levels. The more advanced should head high to the Supertrail. The groomers have given the tick of approval to the runs around the Cruiser area for the intermediates. The gentle slope of Friday Flat is suited to beginners who want to test out their snow legs.

I dont see to much ridable snow on the Supertrail or Friday Flat either - and barely enough for a pleasant run even up in the Basin!! Methinks they been drinkin' too much or suffering from far too much positive thinkin!