Now that I have yor attention and I still believe there will be many witty replies.

Snowboard size to weight/height ratio?

I am thinking of buying new gear for family And would like advice in regards to Length and width of New Boards

I am intermediate 180cm and 83 Kgs

Wife beginner 167cm 60odd Kgs

Daughter 1 140cm 42 Kgs

Daughter 2 128 31 Kgs

Please help or does it really matter

Seemore

I'm pretty tall 6'5 (196cm), 99 kg and have big feet. Looking at my shoes they say they're:

USA - Size 15

UK - Size 14

EUR - 50

33 cm

I've got 2 boards, one 165cm and the other is 162cm I believe. Both boards are wide. So they're both long by normal standards, but for my height it's what I need. In general the longer the board then the more stable it will be which translates into being able to go faster. But of course the flip side is that the longer/heavier a board is then the more difficult it would be to do turns.

That's the general gist if things anyways.

Here's my suggestion for your wife and girls ... go stand them in front of a few boards and buy something chin height - it's a tad short, but for absolute beginners is SO much easier to learn on. My board is that ratio, and I am not a lightweight - I have ridden it in Japan powder with no problems (on the groomers mainly).

Now that I have control of my shorter board I am going to buy a longer one for Japan this December. I know it is going to be harder to turn, but it will also give me more float, and seeing as I intend on hitting more ungroomed I would say that is going to be a bonus. But I am still taking my old board just in case I HATE the longer one.

Also check the width - if you kid has big feet you might need a bigger board as the waist might be too skinny for them. For your wife - buy a ladies board - smaller waist means a womens smaller feet get good edge to edge control. If she is on a boys board she is going to be working hard to get edges because it is too wide for her small foot (trust me - I rode my sons board with his big manly bindings a few weeks back and it was some EFFORT! Do-able, but not as enjoyable).

Seemore, more important is how soft/ stiff the board is. The weight is what gives me an idea how you can flex the board easier or not. You can get pretty much anything with 83 Kg. Just width to avoid drag.

Your wife and my wife and I are very similar size. 151. I wouldn't get her anything longer. If she is a beginner, I would choose a freestyle board and centre stance (no set back ) set up. The longer tip with the set back is difficult to initiate turn when you are a beginner. ie) you can have 149 board but if it has a 1 inch set back you got that extra inch in the front longer that makes it difficult to turn and 1 inch less in the tail which makes it less stable with tail edge grip. You can adjust this yourself. A dedicated park person will probably pick a 149 twin tip but you want all mountain freestyle plus a bit of pow so 151. If it's pow, that's when I put an inch setback to get extra float.

We are talking boards without rockers, by the way.

Daughters - Junior range - probably the graphics are more important to them. Chin height

We have Rome Vinyl 151 (3/4 inch setback), SantaCruz Fusion TT 151 (centre stance), Salomon Burner 157 (1 inch).

Originally Posted By: seemore
I am intermediate 180cm and 83 Kgs

I'm pretty much about the same height and weight as you are, and I have a 152 for the groomers and a 156 for softer conditions. Unless your feet are bigger than around 9UK/10US, you probably don't need a wide board.

Mamabear's assessment for the wife and kids are pretty much spot-on.

Disagree ... Woman's board is just a graphics gimmick.

example: Rome Vinyl - transworld best wood winner. Ours is black with a mix of white and brown, eagle design. Unisex . Now, this board has girly graphics but still the same board.

Suits 120 ~ 130 lbs optimum for 151 size. So they market for girls (not many guys in this weight range)

SantaCruz fusion TT and the floral Muse is basically the same board but Muse has more flex.

I am lightweight so in the beginning I was looking at a lot of floral graphics boards.

As a matter of fact, the only equipment that is designed to women's anatomy is the boots.

If your boot is under US 9 US (woman) 10.5 there are no waist issues. No toe drag. The side curve is designed to purpose ie) directional, directional twin, twin etc.

Santacruz have two different side curveson one board to compensate the heelside and toe side turn characteristics and a smaller waist has nothing to do with womans boot size.

The side curve that gives the board the narrow waist look is just more easier to turn. You will find this on a lot of freestyle boards. If it looks like that due to the tip being wide, that means it's designed to float in pow. I

If the girl has a girl size US 6, you would be looking at junior boards, and probably she is short too so you will be looking at shorter boards which will be narrower in the waist.

Most boards are designed (Skis, too) for the average statue so if you are out of that you have limited choice. In your wife's case it's not.

I beat skiers going down on my 156. I gotta be doing something right with my choice

Sure If I go on the 151, I can put more turn in it cos it feels sooo loose.

As a matter of fact the Rome Vinyl is a good board. Plenty of pop, The base soaks up a lot of wax but it's faster than the Fusion and more stable. Good edge in the pipe, pow's ok.

I learnt on the Fusion and it was so much better than the rental I had for the first 2 days.

What a difference a board can make - when you get the right setup.

Lot's of experience riding different design skis (side curve, flex, length)

Studied applied physics.

approached snowboarding with that and having 3 snowboards gives me some results I can recommend which is not heresay .

one thing I may add, that relates to ma'bear's point is that if your stance is set so that your toe is close to the edge, Yes, you get much better edge control.

Meaning, compare when your feet is at a 30 degrees angle and 15 degrees angle, your foot length doesn't change obviously, so your toe is closer to the edge of the board when it's at a 15 degrees. Note : reference is 0 degrees when foot is perpendicular to the length (edge) of the snowboard. We talk about +/- angle, + meaning your toe is pointing towards the tip direction.

So, find out what you stance is. How (which way) you want to point your toe.

I like it duck stance.

I'll start a new thread on this-

Hi G

Yeah really a combo if one exists I have hired a board in NZ before that was pretty wide but don't know the dimensions.

I was thinking it makes more sense to buy a secondhand board that suits than hire one.

So I was getting unbiased opinions.

Seemore

It really is a hassle when there are so many boards to choose from. It also tells me that it must have a lot of profit margin in it.

Your kids are going to grow out of the board you buy, especially the younger one so maybe a set (combo) deal might be good.

For you and your wife - you know, it's hard not to get biased about the product. I reckon Burton is overpriced. I also get frustrated when they carry so many products, and looks like they are selling the graphics.

Here in Germany, Austria, Italy, I see a lot of Forum, Nitro, Rome, Flow, Atomic, Voelkl...

Nitro, Atomic, Voelkl seems to have more boards for heavier people.

Forum and Rome has good range for lighter people and not too expensive.

I actually bought my Rome in Sydney, it was discount price!

Voelkl is german but not so popular it seems to get discounted. Atomic is Austrian and is nice ! Flow is popular.

Rossignol is trying hard to get into the scene, I see lots of demo tents up in the mountain.

Salomon- covers rental board to really nice board range.

Haven't ridden a board with rocker technology so I can't say. I like the idea of putting a rocker in the tip for pow. Makes sense.

We were talking to the guys at our local board shop, and although rocker has been the big thing for the last couple of years, a lot of companies are going towards a gullwing/W shape which combines both camber and rocker in the same board.

I've used rental boards up til now, so I've only got to try a couple (K2 x 2, Nitro), but it has allowed me to get an idea of my needs and wants. Reading reviews by normal people who have to spend their hard earned money on these things did allow me to get a good idea for pros and cons. Even if you don't buy from there, maybe check sierrasnowboard.com as most boards have a few average joe reviews. If a board has 102 reviews, and an average rating of 4.6/5 stars, then its a safe bet that it is a decent board.

Seemore,

The rental board scene isn't as bad as it used to be. It may be worth hiring one for this trip. You may be able to exchange it a few times if you ask nicely and try different sizes makes etc to see what you really like.