Originally Posted By: Gtrain
ha ha. Perth is indeed a small place. It is even a smaller snow community!

True!
Someone said to me last week "You guys have got to be the only people from Perth with a seasons lift pass for Thredbo. What I wanna know is how many others there are!! Surely we can not be the ONLY ones!!!???

I went to Main Peak yesterday

The guy was a tosser who was trying to chat up this girl by telling everyone really loudly about his adventures.

And the prices were ridiculous

You are better off flying to Melbourne it still would be cheaper with flights included.

Seemore

a banana board is where the nose and tail rise up and the middle of the board is touching the snow, I think its Lib Tech's board that is called the Banana. K2 do one called the Rocker, same idea. A traditional board touches the snow at the nose and tail with the middle rising slightly, so the new style of banana board is sometimes referred to as a "reversed camber". Better for deep pow as the nose naturally points up and out of the snow

Reversed camber - how appropriate is that description.

Anyone have any experience going from old school technology to these reversed camber boards?

I suppose if you have learnt on it, it's no big deal. But since I have never ridden any, I can't say how it's gonna feel and if I'd like it.

I hope not every board gets designed like that.

I am a light weight guy so I really don't know how it is under your weight. But I can say that speed is your friend. Having a high-tech base that is fast is going to make things easy in any condition.

Have a look at Nitro Pantera (they have wide, too) Salomon Burner, Atomic Banger.

K2 has interesting boards, too.

Forum is a cheaper version of Burton, I like them. Forum ROOST is budget.

I picked up a GNU Rider's choice BTX at the end of last season. Benn itching to use it alllll summer. For the GNU and LibTech boards, anything that's BTX is banana/rocker. BTX = Banana Traction, so it has the reverse camber and the magnatraction on it.

But I've only ridden one board so far, so I'm not sure how qualified my opinion will be. Still I'll let ya know.

OK I measured my boards. remember I wear Vans (u.s) 7 1/2

Rome 151 ~ 240mm

SantaCruz 151 ~248 mm

Salomon 157 ~253 mm

In the Dolomites, Italy currently exploring the area. It's huge! Maybe this year I check out a few places in Swiss.

Anyways , I just wanted to show you I can do some turns in slow speed without jumping.

Back to your original question, I think size matters depending what stage and style you are practicing. Freestyle will be shorter than Freeride, and it will be easier to progress from something shorter, and my experience is after being on the longer one and getting the technique right, how easy is it to go on the short one!

My skiing progression was really slow because my skis were stiff and long. I was brought up with skis 10~20 cm higher than me and my GSL ski was 200 cm.

It really made a big difference when I had a Olin Ballet ski 120cm. what fun I had !

One thing worth mentioning about long boards is when the day starts getting tracked out the longer board allows you to go just that little bit wider, flatter and slower line that people have avoided due to having to small boards. A longer board can give you a few extra fresh lines near the end of the day.