It's not really about covering asses. It's not like their jobs are on the line if a forecast this far out doesn't pan out. It's just the figures their model spits out with the data they've input. As we get closer to the season they often get a little more sure one way or the other.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't say they would lose their jobs did I?

Simply said covering their arses - we're all looking at this data now and making assumptions from it aren't we? In so far to compare other people's predictions against it.

Now if it is colder or snows more than average, then they will use that modelling in the future to predict future seasons. And vice versa.

The trouble with it is that it can't be "wrong" as they have covered every outcome with a fairly balanced "prediction" hence the covering their arses comment.

Well I'm not making any assumptions other than according to the JMA forecasting simulation they are currently weighting the probability in favour of average or below average snowfalls.

They had forecast that September would have above average temps in Hokkaido and it looks like we will actually probably have slightly lower than average. They certainly can be wrong.

Not too worried about this forecast just yet. If they are still forecasting below average by mid Nov and with higher probability then I might start to worry a little.

Just as a matter of interest, can anyone tell us what the JMA season forecast for 2005-2006 was?

For newer SJ-ers, that was the last truly epic season in Japan, and the best I've experienced here in 10 seasons:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/hakuba-now-archive.php?month=12&year=2005

I suspect that the JMA were predicting average snowfalls that year, too...

SdS

Anyone know how Japan has fared for snow over the years when there's been an El-Nino in effect ?

I know how it affects Canada & Nth America but not Japan, or maybe it doesn't have a major impact on whether Japan has a good or bad season ?

skisaisuki,

JMA forecast for winter of '05 was above average temps and below average snowfall.

acpowman,

the effect of el nino to japan's winters, according to the JMA, is that temps are above average in western japan and okinawa, while temps in northern japan remain average.. el nino apparently affects the flow of the jet stream in a way that keeps the cold siberian air to the north and limits it from seeping down to the south..

here's the link (article is in japanese):

http://www.data.kishou.go.jp/climate/cpdinfo/20th/box11.htm

Originally Posted By: skidaisuki
Just as a matter of interest, can anyone tell us what the JMA season forecast for 2005-2006 was?

For newer SJ-ers, that was the last truly epic season in Japan, and the best I've experienced here in 10 seasons:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/hakuba-now-archive.php?month=12&year=2005

I suspect that the JMA were predicting average snowfalls that year, too...

SdS

That season though, only December was exceptional. Once the base was down, it was only normal after New Year, possibly worse. You can see it in the Now! reports with the depth falling in Jan (coldest month in Hakuba) and also in Feb. For the season as a whole, a forecast of higher temps may well have been correct.

In December that year, I came back from Okinawa to find a metre outside the house and it just didn't stop till after New Year. We lived next door to a vacant lodge and the snow that winter built up and up on it. It all came down when things warmed up in February. A whole dormer was pulled off the roof leaving a massive hole.

I remember that year was in Niigata and saw several houses totally buried up to and above the roof. Some parts had so much snow that it was still hanging around on the ground in June / July when I went back there.

Forecasts? Predictions? What we need around here is some certainty. Some guarantees. Some clarity.

Number 1 certainty: There will be an absolute truckload more snow at Niseko than Perisher. If you can manage to have a good time at Perisher, you will be in damn near nirvana in Niseko.

Number 2 certainty: You will not have to ski moguls if you choose not to.

Number 3 certainty: According to the laws of diminishing marginal utility, you will only enjoy waist deep powder a tad more than knee deep and nip dip only a tad more than waist deep. Therefore, any powder at all (which I will offer with a money back guarantee) is still an excellent result!

Lets all hope for neck deep though!!!!!!!!!

Certainty number 4. There will be lots of Aussies there having the time of their lives and rowdily letting everyone else know about it at the same time.

Please god, keep those Aussies away from my hotel.. Please please.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Certainty number 4. There will be lots of Aussies there having the time of their lives and rowdily letting everyone else know about it at the same time.

Please god, keep those Aussies away from my hotel.. Please please.

Wouldnt ya just love to surround Thursday with Aussies - just for a laff?

Certainty #5: Someone will always be having a whine about something.
If it is puking down, someone will complain about visibility.
If it is a bluebird day, someone will complain there was no fresh powder.
If there is an Aussie accent behind the words "What an awesome day", Thursdays gonna complain.
lol