Hi .. great forum .. try to make this short as this is my very first post.

How are ski rental prices for Hokkaido & Mainland ... in comparison to Oz .. but more importantly what's the economic comparison to taking one own skis? (2X kids skis are relatively easy to transport as they are only 4 and 6)??

Putting aside the size differences, how reasonable are the ski clothing and equipment prices (to buy) in Japan?

Any pointers will be appreciated.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rental prices: Cheaper than Oz

Transport or hire: Ummm...no contest - bring your own if you have it/love it/want to use it. Hire gear is rarely as comfortable as your own kit.

Prices to buy: Better than Oz, lots more competition for the sale so better prices, Also lots more range.

thanks Mamabear.

Where was your last trip to Japan to?

I would bring my own ski boots, for the comfort and fit reason alone. Long skis too much hassle to transport .. are the ski rental gear there of reasonable quality ??

As for kids, obvious reason to rent is due them outgrowing their equipment and clothing. Wife might find the right ski clothing over in Japan, especially since she struggles to find the smaller sizes in Oz - but question is would a tourist shopping close to the resorts be faced with higher tourist prices??

• SnowJapan Admin

Look, I know these are often posted with the best of intentions (though sometimes with a rather different agenda), but this isn't a classified listing links thread.

And please, just because one person posts a commercial link does not mean that it is suddenly a 'well if he can I can' free-for-all.

Thank you.

[To make this situation clearer to everyone, I have deleted two posts within 10 minutes that were basically 'we do rental too' advertisements.]

Rental quality can really vary greatly. Some cheapo places you're looking at stuff that looks like it belongs in the 80s. Perhaps a slight exaggeration. Don't know about ski wear, never even looked at that.

Theres a number of places linked up on the pages here

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/niseko-guide/niseko-gear-and-rental.html

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hakuba-guide/hakuba-gear-and-rental.html

If you ask your accommodation or service provider as well I'm sure they'll have other local alternatives.

another idea for you.

buy your own gear, either 2nd hand or new, use it, and if you plan to go again, your next holiday is cheaper, or sell it on ebay and recoup much of your initial cost.

if you buy stuff online, ex USA, you can get some real bargains.

If youre interested. pm me and I can give you the names of some good quality sites.

Be cautious buying off ebay, a lot of stuff is non-genuine

Alx,

Never buy any footwear without first trying them. Especially with snowsports.

Some suit narrow feet, some wide. Even the sizes are slightly different depending on manufacturers.

I recommend taking your own boots. It's the most important equipment cos an uncomfortable boots means uncomfortable experience.

Never wear thick socks and/or double layer. First get socks you are going to wear and then wear em when you find your boots. You got to tell your kids what feeling to look for when you are fitting them. Problem - their feet grows fast so it might only fit them for a year, but that's normal, no? Don't buy them something too big cos you want them to last for a few years. My parents did that to me and put thick socks to fill up the space but you don't get much control doing that.

thanks all ... if I may jump ahead into some generalisation (gathered from surveying the responses in this forum .. and welcome your corrections/feedback ...

Niseko is well services for English speaking tourists. Can be good for those who like to drink and party? Young families should head to alternative locations in Hokkaido?

Resorts close to Tokyo are generally less 'touristy' with services that make it easier for first time visitors to Japan (English speaking tourist)? I wonder if anyone here has successfully organised a ski holiday with a visit to Disneyland?!

With less powder snow than the north - this may not be an issue for first timers and young children ... hmm... but then the kids want to be understood or can communicate to their instructors.

I wonder if there's such a thing as a family exchange program?!... One way of selling the ski holiday to my wife is the concept of a new cultural experience and language as she enjoys learning new languages, not to mention valuable cultural lessons for the young ones.

Equipment rental is generally cheaper in Honshu resorts compared to Niseko (presumably the tourist has driven prices up - after all, there has been a few Oz companies who have set up shop there). If we purchased skis in Japan, what are some of the considerations when transporting back to Oz? What about duties/taxes at Oz customs?

Best limit my questions here... and try to start a new thread for any more specifics. Thank you all in advance.

"Niseko" is fine for families...we go as a family. It is not just a party destination. There are services - and that brings the people used to international resort standards ...those that want ski school, childcare and kids clubs, bars, resturants and a decent coffee.

Niseko is easy because you can always find someone speaking English, but we were able to speak Japanese every day, even if it was just saying Hi and Thanks to the lifties. It is easy because all the signs and menu's generally have English alongside Japanese...something you may not find elsewhere in Japan - which can make ordering for fussy eating children fun!

Personally I want to see other resorts in Japan, but the pull of Niseko is so great. Our friends are going at the same time, we have had nothing but pleasurable experiences there and so why wouldnt you go back?

Kids communicating with instructors - no problem in Niseko. We have had Japanese instructors with good English, Japanese Instructors with a little english, and native English speaking instructors (Canadian/Aussie/NZer). I believe a number of other resorts also have English speaking instructors, but the less touristy you go, your chances of getting one lessen.

Buying gear in Japan - never had a problem.

I am sure if you tried to re-enter Australia carrying 27 sets of ski's for a 4 person family they might query whether or not this was a legit personal use purchase - but if you return with a families worth of used kit - no questions asked. The only thing to consider is the luggage allowance and weight issues with carrying ski gear. We joined Qantas Club and fly Qantas purely for the extra 10kgs per member that is allowed - that takes care of the overweight luggage, and has paid for itself in excess baggage charge escapes since. Also means we get to use the lounge smile

Cultural lessons - while Niseko is lambasted for being a little piece of Australia within Japan, to an Australian tourist it is Japanese. But the comfort of what you are used to is not far away. We always spend a few days in Tokyo before heading up - plenty of immersion in Japan there for you! The minute you find yourself at a train stop with kids and it is busy and you CANT find a single English sign then you will be wishing it were bilingual! (we had one such station and felt very blessed we had a 17 yr old son who read Japanese who could work out where we were going and what to do next). I love Japan, our kids love Japan - but they also like to get a Macca's and Coke and watch TV in English occasionally during their cultural immersion.

I would just like to point out as well that Niseko has changed rapidly over the last few years. It started out a pretty cheap place to visit but had limited accommodation options and services. This attracted a lot of the ski bum crowd who were certainly into rowdy partying. These days though with quality accomm available and plenty of services there's been a big influx of families visiting the resort. The feel of the place has changed dramatically. Sure you can still party hard if you want to but I think the behaviour of most of our guests now is much improved. Most of the rowdy crowd appear to now head to Hakuba razz

alx

had 3 trips to hokkaido with the family , all furano / kamui . this year we did tokyo disneyland and disney sea after the ski trip . the disney trip is pretty simple if comming from hokkaido . most flights fly into tokyo haneda airport , from there take a limo bus to disneyland , the bus calls into all major disney hotels . we stayed at the sheraton grande , good value the later you book . from the sheraton grande take a mickey mouse bus [free] or monorail to disneyland / sea , you will need 2 full days minimum , 3 would be better [ avoid weekends] . while here visit ikspiari shopping area , its next door to maihama railway station . we all loved disneyland / sea and will go back in jan. 2010 .

never been to niseko so no comment .

furano is great also kamui , never had a ski lesson there so no idea how their english is ? if in furano there is competitive ski hire around the kitanamine ski zone . all flights [intern.and dom.] , hotels , ski hire , etc. i booked myself over the net . other expenses are paid thru the service provider in japan eg. lavender bus / limo bus / ski pass / food / dining etc . remember yen cash is king in japan so have plenty on hand .

good luck on your first trip to japan . i think you and your family will love it .

alx

forgot to give you the price of disney entry . adult 2 day pass is 10000 yen . child [ 2 day ] 11 and under 6900 yen . should be about the same now as japans economy is still pretty flat. sheraton grande accommodation was 15000yen per room , per night , room with 4 beds [ 2 kings and 2 singles ]. great bakery in the lobby . as i stated before the later you book the better the price , dont worry if you do not get into the sheraton , there are many more hotels in this area , weekends and japanese public holidays to be avoided .

digressing a bit ,for a change this year we went to falls creek and my children took up snowboarding for the first time [with me they ski all runs in furano , kamui , thredbo , perisher , nz ]. their instructor was meg or megumie from nagano prefecture , her english was miminal but her instructing great , so good in fact my kids now want to be snowboarders !!!! "ah well dad just hire both skis and snowboards for us , next trip to japan " . i have twins , boy and girl , aged 10 years .

my ski instructor spoke only 3 words of english " benz zee nees " the only person not to graduate from our 1976 hopfgarten beginners ski class was a fat a.... aussie battle axe with a continual face full of apple strudel and cream .

the instructor and lessons are only a guide , its the work you put in outside the lessons that make you a good skier or snowboarder .

no seth crimbaka , austrian [ hopfgarten ski instructor ], schnapps expert , never believed the warnings on the packet , he instructed lessons mostly upstairs at gashof scherneck [ plenty of repeats from the fuglies ] .

• 1 month later...

Hi again ... all you seasoned Japan skiers from Oz ...

I'm running short of ideas with rentals. My holiday location in Sahoro means that there's less choice for rental companies(?). Larry Adler has advertised their Niseko rental with two adults + kids hire included ... except that they are not answering my e-mail if the equipment can be couriered over to Sahoro?

I'm inclined to buy new skis, as I have my own boots to start with. However, not willing to buy skis for the kids, because they will only outgrow the boots and skis in no time.

Can't imagine why they'd courier rental equipment to Sahoro?? No wonder they haven't bothered answering the email. I'm sure Sahoro will have decent ski hire, at least for the kids.