I made a decision this last week that I will retire at 50, so that's 12 more years of full time work left for me. Couple of reasons I decided I wasn't going to work any longer than that. Firstly I barely saw my father during my teenage years he worked so much and although I'm nowhere near the workaholic he was I fully intend to be around more for my daughter.

Secondly both my father and uncle, the two biggest male influences on my life, died of cancer before they retired not allowing them to enjoy the fruits of their years of hard work. Luckily I was adopted so the cancer genes haven't been passed onto me but I really want to spend a good 15-20 years enjoying retirement.

And lastly I have just never really enjoyed working for a living. I've enjoyed some of the jobs I've had and the people I've worked with over the years but I've just never liked that I had to work, that I had no choice in the matter. Of course retiring may not mean I never do any sort of paid work ever again and I certainly won't stop playing with my investments it's just I'll only do what I really want to do.

Anyway what about you guys, when do you want to retire?

ASAP.

I have often put a few moments thought into this, but don't have any answers yet.

Interesting how probably lots of Dads (our dad generation) will be/have retired after 60. I bet that number is coming down.

I would love to retire when I am 50 but unfortunately wouldn't be in a financial position to do so.

GN nothing is more important than spending time with your children - we don't have children but have spent heaps of time with my nieces and newphews as they were growing up and cherish those memories now that they are grown up and doing their own things. It it time that you can never get back.

Retirement is boring and over rated. Unless you want to do something.

So if you want to go snow, or skydiving while you can do it, do it now !

You can't go hard core (prolly don't want to) when you are 70.

I've probably been retired since 32 when I had my first house fully owned and now at 50 I don't have one and I want to work again. Also so much more fun doing it with my wife I want more. Life can't be planned and I wasn't planning on meeting her and wanting kids in the future... and now I am planning. Priorities are getting a re shuffle. However, I still would like to teach or become a monk at 70 or something and I felt that way since I was 25.

It's about doing work and lifestyle I really like about.

Well I have been thinking about retiring pretty much since the first day I ever started working. Part of that has been investing in property and shares and we've done pretty well out of that. Factor in a few small inheritances from my wife's and my grandparents kicking it in the next 12 years and I reckon we'll be able to make a go of it financially. And my wife is 7 years younger than me and there's no way I'm letting her retire till she's at least 50 as well biggrin

How much money is that ?

Once my friend's dad told me you need 5 houses to retire comfortably in OZ. One to live in, 3 for rental income and one to pay the tax.

Again, lifestyle issue. What kind of living arrangement and cash flow .

50 is pretty ambitious GN. Good luck with that. I used to say that 10 years ago. It looks like at least 60 for me.

We are doing OK finacially, small mortages and high value property. I think they would call us, asset rich, cash poor.

The reality is kids cost TRUCK LOADS of money. And if you want them to have a good life and participate in all the activities on offer then you will be spending all that income, that was meant to be going into the nest egg, on them.

if you enjoy your job then its sensible to keep working until 67 or whatever because financially it is so much better than retiring. i guess i would like to have a part time job from 50 but realistically that will not happen.

i kind of semi retired just before my 40th, I bought a huge house in a ski resort....just work enough hours to pay the bills.

I want to fully retitre at 50!

Originally Posted By: bobby12
if you enjoy your job then its sensible to keep working until 67 or whatever because financially it is so much better than retiring. i guess i would like to have a part time job from 50 but realistically that will not happen.

Better financially for what though? I don't know all that many 67+ year olds who are able to do all things they were able to do in their 50's. Sure you will accumulate a lot more cash working all those extra years but will you truly be able to enjoy it all when you finally do retire? And the only people who want to work that long are those for whom work is their life or they are so poor they have no choice. The work is their life crowd generally have so few other interests that they just wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they weren't working. I don't have those issues. I think if I retired today I still wouldn't have enough time to do all the things I would like to do before pushing up daisies.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
ever since that 1st fateful day of delivering newspapers as a 15 yr old, I have been dreamng of retiring!!! Shite, back to work tomorrow!!!

TB, I live at number 58. I didn't get my paper yesterday.
Originally Posted By: snowjunky
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
ever since that 1st fateful day of delivering newspapers as a 15 yr old, I have been dreamng of retiring!!! Shite, back to work tomorrow!!!

TB, I live at number 58. I didn't get my paper yesterday.

haha I used to get that a lot!! lol
although still got the most tips in the shop!!
Originally Posted By: Go Native
Originally Posted By: bobby12

Better financially for what though?

My point being, that some people enjoy their job and prefer working to being free all day. If you look at what people do with their free time, most of the time it is a kind of 'work' anyway (even sports i put into that category - golf is working to put a ball in a hole efficiently). You have to move beyond the standard definition of 'work'.

Well once I get my permanent residency here I will certainly be searching for some 'work' that involves skiing all winter and hiking, mountaineering and sea kayaking all summer.

That kind of work I could probably handle doing beyond 50! biggrin

im sure you could do that working as a guide for one of the adventure sports type companies in niseko, if you got the stamina at that age.

but if that is your day job, perhaps you will get an urge to spend your vacations shuffling papers and making photocopies in a stuffy 28 degree office.