yes, that and 'please copy and paste the data from this file of 6000 records to this other similar one containing 9000 records. beware the data doesnt always match exactly.'

We had an intern go through a spreadsheet line by line and tally up the fees earned per product. It was 25,000 lines long and there were 63 products. You couldn't do subtotals cos you can only guess at the product from the description. Freakin morons put that together.

I laughed. rollabout you have to earn your stripes somehow.

Probably 60 something for me. I freelance though, so there is the option of just doing less before or after then. It's not full-time or nothing like many jobs.

I suppose the big one is paying for my kids' education but I'm hoping the cost of that will come down in the future. Things might change from kids competing to get into college to colleges competing for fewer kids. I can't see Japanese parents with toddlers now being able to pay big for their kids' education. They don't have the money.

Good luck with that.

The cost of educating the kids seems to have shot up madly since I was at college. Couldn't believe the numbers my brother was telling me last month.

I must admit to not factoring in tertiary education costs for my daughter in my plans doh

I think she might have to go back to Australia for uni as there are no up front fees there. She can then come back to Japan and she'll never have to pay for it! clap

my plan is also to use the UK for university education at least. probably we will go much sooner than that.

UK university is much better (flagrant generalisation) and it is kind of free due to student loans. i think if you have a decent salary you may have to pay some of the fees, but the rules change all the time and i have 15 years before i have to worry about it.

In Aus the costs are deferred until after you leave uni and get a job. You then pay back through paying more tax on your salary until it's all paid off. I paid back my uni fees by when I was about 29, it was great as I got a 6% pay rise! Of course if my daughter came back to live in Japan she would have no taxable Aussie income and may not have to pay it back. Not really sure if that'd work though as Aus and Japan do have some tax agreements that might stuff up that plan. Will have to do some more research.

I think your kids have to be fully resident (boarding school doesn't count) for three full years at the start of the course to qualify for home fees in the UK. A British passport alone isn't enough.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_sheets/tuition_fees_ewni.php

Fees for the course I did for free are now ten grand for three years for home students. For o/s students, its well over thirty grand. Universities love o/s students and try to get as many in as possible. I can imagine the rules about residency tightening more in the future.

I might just send my kids to a lower-cost country like India if higher education is what they want. Standards are supposed to be pretty good.

Just as BoC can't see as many people taking early retirement in the future, I cannot see higher education charging as much on the same scale. You just have to look at the savings rate and average levels of debt. I think we'll see some combo of university attendance shrinking and the cost coming down. Especially in Japan.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
In Aus the costs are deferred until after you leave uni and get a job. You then pay back through paying more tax on your salary until it's all paid off. I paid back my uni fees by when I was about 29, it was great as I got a 6% pay rise! Of course if my daughter came back to live in Japan she would have no taxable Aussie income and may not have to pay it back. Not really sure if that'd work though as Aus and Japan do have some tax agreements that might stuff up that plan. Will have to do some more research.

Just do what I am doing, wait until you know what you want to do, and get the company to pay!

As far as your daughter goes, generally they have to choose a passport before 21 (though not heavily enforced until the catch ya), so it could be a good scam, but Iooking at my boys situations, they'd be leaving epic surf to get away with it.

As for me retiring, I don't have a magic number. I have travelled the world surfing & boarding and would love to do some more though wanting to give the kids a good life might prolong my retirement. Thing is here, I can surf & work. work/lifestyle balance is good so it doesn't bother me too much to do something I enjoy doing.

I deal with helping people retire everyday and it's pretty astounding how many people get bored once they do...

Originally Posted By: Indo

I deal with helping people retire everyday and it's pretty astounding how many people get bored once they do...

I'll never get that. I know a few old blokes that retired at 65 then returned back to the work force because they were bored.....

I think one of the happiest days of my life will be the day I retire.
That doesn't mean I'll be sitting around scratching my nuts for the next 40 years.
I can think of loads of things to keep me busy.
Originally Posted By: Indo

Just do what I am doing, wait until you know what you want to do, and get the company to pay!

As far as your daughter goes, generally they have to choose a passport before 21 (though not heavily enforced until the catch ya), so it could be a good scam, but Iooking at my boys situations, they'd be leaving epic surf to get away with it.

only from the Japanese side, the UK governement cares not one jot if you have dual citizenship and I'm pretty sure the Aussie one is the same. I have a few relatives who live in Oz permanently but retained their UK pasport/citizenship
Originally Posted By: Mantas

That doesn't mean I'll be sitting around scratching my nuts for the next 40 years.
I can think of loads of things to keep me busy.

Me too. I'd be able to pick the tides and go fishing when it suits!
Originally Posted By: @tokyo
Quote:

Though I'm sure you might get round to doing a bit of that too.

i bet a fair bit of time.

Staying with expectations, but further to the original post, your kids might not want to spend time with you once they hit their teens either. They may well have their own thing going by then. If its music, mam and dad will be as uncool as it comes.

mr wiggles:

- officially you have to be resident in uk for 3 yrs before starting the course, but i think they do not check that. if you say nothing they will not know. when i did my master degree i got home fees despite having spent previous 3 years on JET. but as you say they do love the o/s students and i agree they will surely tighten up over next decade.

In life, anything you can get away with....

For you, I guess the entry qualification for your masters was your undergrad degree. It makes you look like a home student continuing after a break.

With your kids, maybe if they went to sit A-levels and applied through whatever UCCA is called now, you could get them in as home students. Maybe just the final year of sixth form. If your kids apply with a bacculaureat (spell?) from o/s, I guess they'd be on a whole different entry process.

Things have changed since back in the day GN! There are certain fee's to be paid upfront now, but there is also a HECS contribution that they can accumulate as debt and payback out of thier taxable income. I havent yet struck the minfield because child #1 has deferred for a year....it will be in my face next year smile But according to the parents that have already got thier kids at Uni - it is not THAT cheap anymore.

As for retiring - I am a fulltime Mum/partime employed person - so I work when I want to work, retirement will come when the last bear cub evacuates the cave! smile

Papa had initially talked of 'retiring' at 40 (to just play shares/property/do short contracts etc), but by 35 he had altered that idea. He is also thinking 50 for a major scale back if not full retirement. I think he will drop dead of boredom if he ever fully retires.

We do however take WAY more vacations, and really suck the marrow from life nowdays (I turned 40 in March, he is 40 in November) for exactly the reason you say GN. We rock it with out kids, we push our personal limits, and we enjoy life as much as we can. We WILL NOT be people looking down from the pearly gates saying "I only wish...." - with any luck we will be stading there, looking back on our lifes with a massive grin saying "Now THAT was a sweet sweet ride! No regrets."