The gf and I were planning on doing a trip this coming season. But her school schedule is proving to be to hectic so now it's just me. I'll try and get some friends to go, but not sure how doable it is for some of them.

I'm still interested in hitting up Niseko even if I have to rock it solo. I'm looking for some advice for people who may have done this before.

How hard is it to make friends there? Just looking for people to do some turns with and hang out afterwards. I've done hostels before for non-snow vacations and liked it a lot since it's easy and fun to hang out with other travellers. I'm guessing it'd be the same if I stayed at a hostel/pension in Niseko.

But any feedback would be cool smile

Cheers

I don't see one place can be harder to meet people than the other if you are talking about the hostel scene... Speaking english helps wink

Depends if you are a non-drinker and you are surrounded with binge drinkers.

That's what you get when staying in hotels though isn't thurs?

Stay in a hostel or pension and you'll be sure to meet a heap of people.

I did a six month solo trip around Sth America some years back and barely spent 1 day alone. Always meeting people and travelling with them for awhile whilst our paths coincided.

Or run into a heap of similar minded, adventurous souls. I met one guy in Sth America in his 60's who had been solo travelling around the world for close to 20 years! Not really an option when married with children but wow what a way to spend your life!

If you stay in a hotel you can still go to the bar there or go out and meet people. From staying in hotels and pensions, can't seem much of a difference myslelf.

Hostels? No thank you! I have a bit of money now! wink

In my experience people staying in higher end hotels aren't generally all that sociable. As thurs points out he made no friends cos he chose not to and I don't think that attitude is uncommon among those staying in hotels. Not saying it's bad or anything, I've been on a number of holidays where solitude and privacy was what I was after.

There are people you socialize with and there are friends.

I am lucky to have met those people I can call friends staying in hostels.

I met my Bavarian wife in a hostel in Australia. I have 2 brazillian friends I met in a hostel in NZ. etc, etc

Not saying one type of accomodation is better than the other.

When I was at Portillo I met one guy who I ended up skiing with all week. He extended an invite for me to ski with him at Breckenridge and stay at his house there. I made the arrangements but his plans had changed, so when I got to Colorado, I briefly met up with him and he gave me the keys to his place up at Breck and told me to have fun!

i havent been solo but have made good friends with people who have gone at it solo, as long as you stay in a backpackers then ull be fine! drink lots, party hard and shred harder! you'll have an epic time. Get into the Nomihodais...

If you are open and chatty and talk to people on lifts and in queues and that you sit next to in cafes you always meet good people (some tools as well I am sure) but sometimes you've gotta kiss a frog to find a prince.

Even though I have always travelled with someone (or multiple someones) we have almost always picked up the odd stragler to have dinner with, ride with us, or just chat to for a while. Mostly solo travellers. You meet some pretty cool people that way.