• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recently watched Nigella Lawson cooking a turkey and she managed to slip the following into the dialogue; Slippery, rub all over, moist, plumptious beauties, lubricate, wet, insert and penetrate. I

I have wondered for a long time whether dogs and cats ever wonder why their two-legged owners don't fall over.     /end

oh fook, now look what ya geordies have dun

Quote:
The nation's crudest and arguably funniest comic - thanks to the likes of Sid The Sexist, Billy the Fish and the Fat Slags - is celebrating its 30th birthday.

Viz began life in the Newcastle-Upon-Tyne bedroom of 19-year-old Chris Donald in 1979, with help from his brother Simon and friend Jim Brownlow.

Copies of the first 12-page issue went on sale in a local pub for 20p - or 30p to students.

Within hours, the run of 150 hand-drawn and hand-stapled copies had sold out and a comedy institution was born.

The new foul-mouthed rag spread by word of mouth and by 1984, everyone in Newcastle aged 14 to 21 had heard of it.

It was so littered with toilet humour that when Donald finally showed the comic to his mother, he had to cover most of it in Tippex to save her blushes.

"His parents were lovely, I'm sure they must have been shocked when their son became famous for this rather salacious publication," said Peter Brent, an old friend of the Donald brothers.

"He obviously had a great talent even in those days," he went on.

Roger Mellie reveals all to Sky News Online

"If you went in Chris's bedroom, you couldn't see anything for the paper. It was everywhere, on the floor, the furniture, the bed, absolutely everywhere."

Mr Brent, 62, told Sky News Online how he became immortalised as the character Peter Brent And His Bucket Of Cement in an early issue of the comic.

"I've never lived it down to this day. Most embarrassing," he chuckled.

"It was about this naughty schoolboy who got up to all kinds of nonsense with buckets of cement," he explained.

Mr Brent said something many readers may be unaware of is the Viz team's involvement with charity over the years.

"The amount of work they have done on behalf of various charities is incredible," he said.

"Viz used to raise money to send underpriviledged kids on adventures. They always used to contribute lots of items to be auctioned and lots of artwork."

The comic hit the mainstream when it was discovered by John Brown, then of Virgin Publishing, who grabbed onto its coat-tails, taking the comic with him when he set up his own publishing firm in 1985.

Viz went on to become Britain's third most popular magazine in the early 90s, with sales peaking at over 1.2 million.

As it reaches the ripe old age of 30, the adult comic has a brand reach of 620,000 people and a longstanding readership of nearly 400,000 with its current publisher Dennis Publishing.

Viz team in the 80s: Chris Donald, Graham Dury, Simon Donald and Simon Thorp

Viz cartoonists Simon Thorp, Graham Dury and Davey Jones reckon they have created nearly 10,000 characters over the past three decades including the likes of Roger Mellie, Sid The Sexist, Billy the Fish and the Fat Slags.

Editor Hampton Doubleday paid tribute to the comic, saying: "Exactly 30 years ago to the day, I was honoured to be appointed to the post of Viz editor.

"In those days, the world was a different place and the comic was a cheaply-printed, 12-page tatty rag full of poor quality jokes and badly-drawn cartoons.

"Over the ensuing three decades, the changes in our lives have been phenomenal; we've seen the rise of the world-wide web, scientists have sent rockets to the edge of the known universe and we've witnessed the end of Apartheid and the fall of the Berlin Wall.

"But perhaps the most fantastic change that has occurred is that Viz is now a cheaply-printed 52-page tatty rag full of poor quality jokes and badly-drawn cartoons.

"I feel pride in the things that the magazine has achieved over the years.

"The creation of iconic characters such as Roger Mellie, Johnny Fartpants and Peter Brent (& his Bucket of Cement), the Top Tips and Letters that have become as much a national institution as Broadmoor Hospital for the criminally insane.

"Not to mention the Profanisaurus's popularisation of such arcane obscenities as 'Fitbin', 'Cleveland Steamer' and 'Boston Pancake'."

My friend had never had a holiday abroad in here life as she was absolutely terrified of flying. However, last week I pointed out to her that it was actually the safest form of transport. What a fool she felt when she realised, and she immediately booked a two week break in Barbados.

I could never remember which end of a battery was the positive and which was the negative, so I made up a little rhyme to remember:

- Two ends a batter does have

- One positive, the other ground

- The latter is as flat as glass

- Whilst on the first a bump is found

Obviously it doesn't work for PP3's or those with the rabbit ear terminals, but I'm working on it.

It really surprised me that the Japanese sided with the Nazis during the Second World War. They're usually so polite.

Scientists claim that spiders silk is one of the strongest materials known to man. Well how come I've just punched a hole straight through one of their webs, and I'm not even that hard.

Apparently, Angelina Jolie has had an intimate tattoo done on her thigh which is "just for Brad". I'm guessing that it's a big arrow with the words "This way to pissflaps" written underneath.

lol