A new feature, "2nd Annual Pilgrimage to Fuji-san" by IM, has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-63.html

"As the week progressed our faces became dimmer and dimmer, as the weather forecast continued to be unfavorable for our annual pilgrimage to Fuji san. But when Sunday came around it was cloudy, but the broken cloud deck hovered around the 4th station and was pretty clear on the Fujinomiya side; looks like the low sped up and passed over to pacific 6 hours faster than the forecast. As we met up with the rest of the group at Gotemba, everybody’s face turned from relief to a determination to get to the top that day."

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-63.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Fuji san this time of the year, a fair number of people do climb. We even met a family, Dad, Mom, two young kids. Fujinomiya side is the easiest. Summer trails almost to the top right by the snow bank. You can not get lost. some people climb alone others in groups. If you get 2-3 people, and fair weather is all you need.

IM,

Great trip to Fuji. Unfortunately it looks as if my window of opportunity has been closed and I will not make it up to Fuji this spring. Looks like you had a great day and skiing down to the 5th Station is the way to do it. My buddy who went with me last year flew over Fuji last Sunday and said there is very little snow left. On a side note, I have flown around Fuji a few times and it looks like the Gotenba Trail side has the most snow. I guess it has something to do with the weather patterns because that would make it the southeastern side with the most snow. What do you think about this. Great to see that you had the tele skis up there. Nice report.

Teleskier,

Those snow patches(banks) seem to stay pretty much the same pattern every year. Look at my photo in the picture gallary from last year. How soon they disapper probably depends on the spring weather pattern. I skied the same snow banks same time last year, but only to 7th station. I think this has more to do with amount of snow left in any particular valley or terrain features and not very much to do with an aspect.

BTW, I went with a party of 11. I would feel more comfortable with max. of 5 to 6.

A great story there IM. A mate and I are really keen to give it a go next year. Going into the crater would be a awesome.

Does anyone know if it is possible to ski fuji in autumn? I mean is there enough snow on the mountain in say, Oct, to do the same thing before the conditions get too bad?

You have to be careful on fuji. My father inlaw dead slid one on the faces in winter. his crampon sliped 25 years ago and he slid for about 1000 meters. Also Fuji has major slides. You can see the evidence of these if you hike the mountain in the summer. You can hike the mountain in winter but you have to do it from the bottom.

Flew near Mt. Fuji today and it was the first time I've seen it in a month. Actually, it looks like there is more snow on it this year than last year at this time when I skied it. May head up there this weekend depending on the weather. Keeping the fingers crossed.