Read this in the Guardian with interest.

Got to wonder why ipod fans keep on buying them when "all 3 iPods I have purchased have either died or developed issues" so soon. Ever heard of other brands?

Quote:
It seems very difficult to repair faulty Apple iPods, especially once their one-year warranty has expired. Given the number of iPods which seem to break within a year or two of purchase - all three iPods I have purchased have either completely died or developed issues - and the number of iPods bought and presumably discarded each year, this must create a huge amount of unnecessary waste. It seems to me like Apple is actively discouraging long-term maintenance of iPods whilst encouraging a throwaway culture with relatively cheap replacements (next year's model is all too-appealing). Do you know if Apple does, in fact, have a policy of repairing iPods?

Dan Wells, by email

You are not the first, nor likely to be the last, person to raise the spectre of planned (or inadvertent) obsolescence when it comes to our modern-day culture of must-have gadgetry. As one of the most successful and highest-profile manufacturers of electronica, Apple has attracted a steady stream of criticism over the years, particularly from Greenpeace, with regards to its overall attitude to the environment. In recent years, though, the tide has started to turn a little (possibly helped along by its board member Al Gore) and Apple has received praise for some of the steps it has taken to tackle problems such as over-packaging and the use of toxic materials.

But the relentless introduction and upgrading of products still persists. It's not really a surprise as it's a formula that is highly successful: Apple reported just this week that its profits for the second quarter of this year – $1.23bn (£745m) – were up 15% on the same period last year, thanks largely to the success of the iPhone. Sales of iPods were down on last year, but Apple hinted that more models would be on sale later this year. The conveyer belt of new products must never stop, it seems.

Dan, I forwarded your letter – including all the extra details you provided about where you attempted to get your iPods repaired – to Apple for a response. A spokesperson said that, with regards to the issue of whether or not Apple discourages repairs, it would not be providing an official statement.

Instead, it wished to point readers of this column to the iPod servicing FAQ on its website. Here it states that Apple will repair or replace any iPod still covered by its one-year limited warranty for free, but beyond this point the customer must pay for an out-of-warranty service should the iPod be deemed repairable. The price for such a service varies according to the model, but ranges from £36.13 for an 1GB iPod Shuffle (second generation), up to £176.13 for a 32GB iPod Touch. Battery replacements range between £36.13 and £66.13, depending on the model. The replacement iPod will be either "new or refurbished", suggesting that Apple does make efforts to repair malfunctioning models rather than automatically reach under the counter and hand over a brand new like-for-like replacement.

The big question, of course, is whether you think it's worth the extra outlay to get your iPod repaired, or whether it's better just to buy a brand new one: a new 32GB iPod Touch costs £289. The high cost of the out-of-warranty services makes this a difficult decision. There are many companies out there which are not affiliated with Apple which offer cheaper repairs, but you do have to wonder how many people bother to get iPods repaired rather than be lured into buying the latest model.

As to the question of whether iPods tend to break down just beyond their warranty period, it's impossible to say – and Apple sure isn't providing the data. I hear stories suggesting both ends of the extreme, with some saying that their first generation iPods are still going strong after many years of faithful service, whereas others moan that they have had nothing but trouble with their iPods. But isn't this the case with all electronica? (Please do furnish us with your own experiences).

It's worth adding, though, that Apple does now provide a free recycling service – as it must, according to EU law (although it's a law not without problems) – for anyone wishing to discard their deceased iPod, or any other Apple product for that matter. While this should be applauded on one level, it doesn't exactly help to dispel the idea that we do indeed live in a throwaway culture when it comes to gadgets.

It's easy to point the finger at the likes of Apple and say that it should be producing products with a longer shelf-life – in an ideal world, it should – but consumers also have a responsibility not to be suckered into always buying the very latest model.

am on my last ipod ever - had enough of the apple company - people love them for being so anti-MS, yet the more money they make, the more they are becoming. Constant upgrades, nigh on yearly, short product life-cycles at exorbitant entry level costs.

screw them completely.

You guys are lucky - have had issues with all 3 ipods and this is the last one. Switched back from the Toshiba Gigabeat, which may I add was an awesome mp3 player, back to the iTouch. Damn slow and buggy.

and the fact I have to pay for updates, even though I forked out nigh on 40,000 yen for the thing also stinks as well. At least MS gives you free updates to their software and hardware.

Rob, That sounds like really bad luck .. You know, it just happens... things when they break, it's just after the 1 year warranty. It might be cheaper in the long run to take up some extended warranty by card purchase or what ever. I know a few people who skydives with ipods and no problem.

yeah man. throwaway culture. it's been like that for the last 30 years.

ooooohh...

they have their ass covered.

ipod is just not worth it. There are cheaper throwaways. Lot of Euro backpackers I've met have Archos Gmini. Not as sleek but a good buy.

I like the apple mac, but that's about it. Rest is just image marketing. Steve Jobs? I respect Bill Gates. Always have and he is a better person now. He has learnt that there is a Win-Win situation.

We're on number one, an Ipod Touch. The other ones that just played music struck me as hyped to hell, but the Touch is a genuinely cool gadget. The phone must be wicked too. All the Net features and wifi really push it forward. I just hope it lasts, because its got everything we'll need for the foreseeable future.

With the laptops I've used, two have failed at the power connector. One is the standard round one. I suppose I'll dremel the corner of the case off and bodge a weld when I have time. Our current laptop also has an adaptor that overheats and cuts out when you feed it 240V, which is supposed to be within spec. The power feed system is a crappy low tech part of a laptop, but simple problems with it will render the whole thing useless.

I've got one of those big old 80 gig ipods. Not nearly as cool as the touch but the good thing is, you can use it as an external HD to store (or transfer) stuff, which I don't think you can do with the ipod touch.

My friend used to be convinced that Sony products had some device in them that made them implode soon after the guarantee was up. I think he actually did believe it too!

Implode is a good word.

I heard of the "Sony Timer" too.

Sony seem to get the bad rap like MS.

I have never had any problems with any Sony gear, always seems well made and quality.

they are well made and quality IF made in Japan.

Sony now manufacture in places like Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam etc etc. That is the stuff giving the grief. I always try to buy the stuff made in Japan.

My car is made in Japan. There are Toyota models sold here which were made in Thailand. Watch out for those.

QC means different things to different cultures.

A Thai wouldn't admit to making such crap if he could. A Japanese would take pride in his work and be modest about it.

A Chinese worker would rather go outside for a smoke.

Sony is getting a bit annoying ...

sure it "used to be" the only Vid camera that worked in free fall (skydiving) was Sony but the rest of the product has lost it's edge.

They make the bulkiest power supply and market how small vario computer was.

It's a product name that I avoid these days.

there was a thread a while back about people not fixing stuff anymore, they just go and buy a new one. eg, TVs, washing machines, vacuum cleaners. The only exception was the Dualit toaster. Sexy looking baby that is too.