Onsen after snowsports is the best!

In Japan, Onsen after virtually anything is pretty much de rigeur, even during the warmer months. A hot soak is nice after MTB or hiking in Summer, but you can't really stay in as long as in winter since the weather is already so hot.

the Onsen afterwards is definitely part of the whole deal!! Even if I'm just doing a day trip, I will often choose my train time late enough so I can enjoy a soak.

Yep, second and third on the onsen. Nothing better at the end of the day.

Beginning of the day is great too. I was in Beppu last year where you sit in one on the balcony and watch the sun come up over the ocean. Awesome!

Crowded? Maybe but ESID.

Onsen #1

Big bath #2

that's how I see it. Shower is something you wash your soap scum off you and a waste of water if you want satisfaction out of it (meaning long showers) since I have lived in places where water was limited in supply.

TB onsen first thing in the morning does wake you up if you make it short and splash yourself with buckets of cold water....which I do anyways.

I love those onsens bubbling next to an ocean or a cold stream where you can take a dip in the cold.

best Onsen I have been to was on Shikinejima, its right on the beach, free to use, you can see the water bubbling up from the sand. At high tide the ocean pours in and cools the water and at low tide, no ocean water, the onsen is SUPER hot.

Originally Posted By: thursday
naughty drinking in onsen naughty

didn't say IN the onsen.

Trouble is though, twice had a rotemburo when its been puking down with snow and had some sake on the go. It's what I demand now wink

Actually, in the old days they had sake and a plate of nozawana on a tray and floated it in the onsen. The cold weather cools your head .. (some people make their small towels cold and put it on the head. I'm sure you've seen pics)

It's pretty much no drinking in the onsen because of breaking glasses....

and health hazards and moral

Never mind about after skiing I make a point of visiting the onsen every week sometimes a few times per week, but yes definately after being on the slopes all day or after a hard days work, etc, nothing better than to relax in the hot tub. Even better when I'm sitting in the onsen with a nice cold beer in my hand in summer, just the ticket!

I love onsen. Usually I try to go at least two times in week.

When I was younger I lived near Nagano and went every day. I remember that fondly.

If I go ski I will alsways choose place with onsen.

I like the onsen and would really like to spend a few days in a place that is renowned for the ski + onsen, maybe like Zao. That place looks interesting.

Got to agree about the summer though, too hot to be soaking in hot water. I prefer cold showers.