1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I'm interested to know how often people who live in Japan (or live in a country other than their original country) go overseas or back home to see parents/family? (Doesn't have to be to JUST see the family).

I am pretty much on once a year over summer.

Lets polling

My family, bros, sisters, parents, cousins, aunts, uncles etc. travel quite frequently. Invariable HK is their destination, so often they see me instead of I see them.

I travel very much on the intention of vacation only. Seeing family is not a priority.

Apart from one year when I went back to the UK twice, it's once a year in summer.

Are you native to HK, thursday?

Once every three years is about my average...too many places I wanna visit/see.

I understand people miss family, but going back once/year? Or more than once/year? Maybe its just me, but I have a hard time wanting to go back home (and pay that much for airplane tixs) when I could travel for several weeks for almost less than the plane ticket home to the US.

Once you have kids then there is pressure to go home more often for kids + kids grandparents sake.

Unfortunately, having kids also means it costs much more to go, and is more hassle to go.

So far I have taken the kids back twice, and been back twice by myself on business, in 3 years.

Summer once a year.

While my parents are still around, I feel I want to see them and spend time with them at least once a year.

There will be a time when I won't be able to do that any more.

But it's not just that, I can see family as well as travelling round England and sometimes Europe as well.

One of the things I like most about living in Japan is that I don't have to see my or my wife's family very often. If they want to see us they can come here. Don't want to waste the money on going back to see them.

I try to go once a year so my folks can see the kids. They're nearly four and one, so they change a lot each time. We'll probably go a bit less often when they're older, though my folks will be older too and less up for coming here.

It costs, and can be a bit of a drag, esp. compared to a pure leisure based holiday somewhere closer, but I glad to do it all the same. I travelled a lot when I was younger and live somewhere nice now, so holidays aren't such a big deal.

There were times I'd say "never" or infrequently because like 7 years had passed without going back, and that's how I felt.

Now I say once every few years and if I had the money, I'd like to visit Japan for New Year's every year. My German fiancee loves Australia and Japan, so we will go there in the future.

I miss my mum, too.

>Once you have kids then there is pressure to go home more often for kids + kids grandparents sake.

That I understand. But at what cost to take 2 adults plus 1 (2?) kids back home? I know what I costs for me to go home for several weeks Stateside. Taking a whole family sounds like around 70man worth, if not more...I think Id rather just buy a plane tix for my parents - itd be cheaper wink

Usually once a year, though there has been one time when I went 2 years without and another when I went back twice to deal with some family stuff.

I like seeing the family, friends, escaping the heat of Japan, eating foods I like back home, buying stuff, visiting places, speaking English and generally getting away from Japan for a bit and rediscovering some roots before they disappear and/or I forget about them.

Friend of mine goes back to the UK (from Japan) twice a year - summer and Christmas/New Year. That's a bit much for me, even just the journey, but she seems really happy with that arrangement.

I used to escape but that was for surf. At least once a year. Family would often meet us in the middle (Indonesia somewhere) that way we all got a holiday, grandparents caught up with the kids and mum & dad surf, whilst garndparents look after kids wink .

I wouldn't do it if it was to just go back home to visit family and friends.. They don't / didn't visit me every year (because they were off having holidays elsewhere!)

when i was in Japan previously i used to get 3 free buisiness class flights a year back to the UK. I used to cash these in and take the family to Hawaii.

I get the feeling I would feel the need more if I was in hot and sweaty Honshu or further south. As it is, summers are fairly comfortable. Still I usually get back once every 18 months or so.

Originally Posted By: thursday
speaking if which, I have never been to the Theatre of Dreams. But that will be out right.

I've been once Thurs....it was very underwhelming!! Not what I was expecting at all. Inside it seems like a mid-size stadium, not the giant that it is. The San Siro in Milan is a much more imposing stadium, in fact so is Celtic Park in Glasgow. I was disappointed with Old Trafford

I went cos I got tickets for my Xmas (not a Man U fan). went to see them play Chelsea a few years ago, when it was meant to have been played Man U were still in with a shout of the league but it put back to a wednesday night, by which time Chelsea had sewn it up....Chelsea won the game too