The FOOTBALL Thread (2009-2010)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With two more matches left in Group E, Liverpool are five points adrift of Fiorentina in second place and their hopes of further progress is out of their own hands following the Italian side’s 5-2 drubbing of Hungarian side Debrecen.

Fiorentina can ensure the Merseysiders' elimination with victory over Lyons in their home game on Matchday 5 on November 23.

It's not looking good. Out of our control, hanging by a thread is what the reports are all saying.

Gutted, couldn't believe that goal went in at the end.

sadface

We controlled the game but were let down by mediocre players like veronin and 'greek dude' who shouldn't even be on the bench.

I guess we can still qualify, we will win those last two games but whether Lyon will send their reserves out now against Fiorentina is what will decide it.

He looked rubbish. The previous game I saw him in he sucked too, and I reckon he may have been at fault for the goal. For the goal, Carra would have headed it out and cleaned everyone up at the same time.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Yeah I can't believe that Liverpool bought him, he is mince. Also if you are a cart horse in the Scottish leagues that doesn't really say much about you!! lol

These are the reasons why non-scouse supporters would like Rafa to continue wink
Quote:
Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has admitted star duo Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard might need surgery to solve the injury problems which have plagued their season.

Torres looked a long way from match fitness as Liverpool were held to a 1-1 draw in Lyon on Wednesday night which takes their hopes of progress to the Champions League last 16 out of their hands, and Benitez admitted the player is still feeling pain from his groin-related injury.

Gerrard missed the match entirely with a similar problem, but surgery will be a last resort for a side in need of a turnaround in fortunes both at home and in Europe, starting against Birmingham on Monday night.

Benitez, who batted away further questions on his own future on Wednesday night, said: "Fernando played with pain, and after the game he still had the same problems that have troubled him for a few weeks.

"He wants to wait, rather than have an operation. He wants to work with the physios to try to solve his problems, but still he has pain.

"He told me he needed to keep stopping during the game because of the pain. Whether there is the need for him or Steven to have an operation is a decision we will probably not take straight away.

"We must see how they can improve, and by how much. Then we will decide about any possible operation."

Lisandro Lopez's late goal for Lyon made it another miserable night for the Reds, who will be out if Fiorentina beat Lyon on matchday five.

Whats the deal with this kind of injury.
Is it best to just get it sorted with an op or, or to go ahead and try to play it out and 'play with pain' like is happening here?

And..... are painkillers allowed? That not classified as 'doping'?