The FOOTBALL Thread (2009-2010)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ever reliable mail has this

Quote:
Emmanuel Adebayor faces a ban of at least four games after a crazed rampage against Arsenal that saw him rake his studs across Robin van Persie's face, stamp on Cesc Fabregas, slap Alex Song and spark a mini-riot.

FA officials will today review footage of the incidents, with disciplinary chiefs certain to fast-track a decision on the Manchester City striker's dangerous kick at Van Persie.

365 with this

Quote:

Emmanuel Adebayor is facing at least a four-match suspension after it emerged that the FA are investigating a third incident involving the Manchester City striker in Saturday's match with Arsenal.

While Adebayor is expected to be charged today for his stamp on Robin van Persie, and could yet face sanctions for his 90-yard run to celebrate his goal in front of the travelling Arsenal support, an earlier clash with Gunners skipper Cesc Fabregas is also believed to be under investigation.

Didn't see the fouls, but the celebration was well funny.

The fans give players all kind of stick, both on pitch and off, so I don't see the big deal with sticking it to them when they score. If it causes a riot, that's the fans fault - live by the sword, die by the sword...don't dish out what you can take back...etc...

Well, I actually think that footballers should not be enticing fans like that. They're the ones being paid at the time to be professional, not the fans. What Scumbag did, while funny for us watching, was over the top.

So being called all the names under the sun is ok? I don't know if Arsenal fans were doing that but having been to many many games and heard the abuse players take, no amount of money in the world is enough for some of the crap launched at players. If you can't take a player sliding on his knees at you after scoring agaisnt you then maybe you should stay at home and watch it on the TV. Inciting fans, I don't think so. For the most part these are adults watching the game and they should be able to control their tempers from causing a riot

Quote:
So being called all the names under the sun is ok?

Well, no, but is tit-for-tat always ok as well? They called me a silly name so I'm going to call them another silly name. Rather childish isn't it.

He's a professional footballer (no sniggering at the back) and he is doing his job when he is on the pitch. He simply shouldn't be doing that, no matter what the numbskulls in the stands say.

its also very childish for grown men (and some women) to be singing songs that slag off other grown men but it happens. He did do his job, he scored and he celebrated, fans should just accept that

Difficult to know what to do about it but I'm with brit-gob on this. They just basically shouldn't be doing what he did.

Quote:
Greater Manchester police have criticised Emmanuel Adebayor for sparking the crowd disorder that led to a steward being knocked unconscious during Manchester City's 4-2 defeat of Arsenal on Saturday. That is one of two incidents involving the player which is being investigated by the Football Association, with the strong possibility that he will face disciplinary charges and a suspension.

For all he did in that game, I hope the book they throw at him is big. Perhaps as much as wanting him not playing as anything wink

The man summed up - complete lack of class all round.

Shits on his own team and fans in pusuit of money, goes out of his way to provoke his old club's fans. Headbutts his own team mates, stamps on his old team mates faces.

Adebayor is bound by the Laws of the Game and The FA. Us mere mortals are only bound by the laws of our country.

Oh that stamp is well nasty. He is going to be skinned for that.

Thinking about my earlier comment, if they allow players to do what they want in front of fans it would probably get out of hand. They'd be there shaking their botty after every goal.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
Oh that stamp is well nasty. He is going to be skinned for that.

Thinking about my earlier comment, if they allow players to do what they want in front of fans it would probably get out of hand. They'd be there shaking their botty after every goal.

think they already do that! lol

I don't know how much people are aware of this, but there is a lot of history between Abedabore and Arsenal and their fans. So there was a lot simmering there.

Times

Quote:
You half-expect players to celebrate in front of opposition fans. You have to accept that, though, because passions run high. More often than not, it doesn’t cause too much of a problem, particularly if the player celebrates at the end where the goal was scored. You’ll get a number of fans giving the player a bit of stick and one or two might throw things but it very rarely goes beyond that.

The difference with what Adebayor did was that by going the length of the field, he allowed the situation to escalate because the fans in the away end could see what was happening from the moment he headed in their direction. It meant that more people got angry for a longer period of time.

Your biggest fears are fans trying to get on to the pitch or something causing a surge that puts people’s safety in jeopardy. If you look at the TV pictures of the Arsenal end, you can see that both of these outcomes were a very serious possibility. Had Adebayor stayed at the opposite end of the pitch, it would have been very unlikely that this kind of situation would have arisen.

The thing that would have irritated the stewards most at City will have been that they will have been warned beforehand about the possibility of flashpoints because of the bad blood between Adebayor and the Arsenal fans. They will have prepared for almost every eventuality and I’m sure up to the point of that goal they will have been pleased with the way things had gone. But you need the players to do their bit. They have to take responsibility because, whether they like it or not, the things they do on the pitch can cause serious problems off the pitch.

All you can do now is hope that other players have seen what happened and that they will make sure they don’t make the same kind of mistake because it puts everyone at risk.