availability.

When the 24-70 came out all the lens otakus scrambled creating a waiting list several months long. Nikon couldn't make them quick enough. When a shipment arrived and some scumbag got hold of one, it'll appear on eBay for double the shop price.

I got mine a year after its launch.

Some discontinued lens are also sought after because of rarity. The older lenses were invariably better built with better materials. These days anything made outside of Japan is thought to be inferior. True or not, that's the perception. The top end lenses from Nikkor are only made in Japan.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I can't see a reason to get rid of 12-24, it sure gives me wide enough and it takes great images. I have retired from the tempted zone. smile

Also got a cabinet for the camera, lenses and vidcam.

On the subject of tripods, it was interesting to see the huge range of what they had. Some were 2000 yen (and obviously cheap and nasty). Then there were the ones that were around 80000 yen. I didn't want to spend a huge amount on this, went with one that was on offer and looked pretty sturdy.

Anyone got a monopod? They look funky.

Put this in the bank thread but thought I'd mention it here.

Sigma 150-500mm

- online 89000 yen

- shop 125000 yen

Nikkor 400mm

- online 150000 yen

- shop 220000 yen

veryshocked

If you go to Yodobashi or Bic, and you mess around with the lense, then ask the salesman for the best price, they do a bit of calculator tapping and come up with several thousand yen off.

I'm well aware of that thursday and have done it myself when buying things in a shop (getting rarer these days!)

But lets say they take off a whopping 2man which they probably won't. That still makes the lens 200000 yen which is 5 man more than what you can get online.

That still sounds like a rubbish deal to me.

Judging from what people write on the notice boards at kakaku.com, the cheapest prices for common electricals seem to be through a combination of haggling at certain shops on certain days and getting points on that shop's point card. I only ever skim read them in the conbeni or on the rare occasions I get my hair cut, but the "new stuff" magazines generally say the same thing. You don't have to pay delivery, bank charges, or extra for a cc either.

For folk in inaka, online is easiest though.

I was in Yamada yesterday 'haggling'. Points are good but lots of 'cash deals' don't get the points. They are bringing the price down instead of the points.

Of course this is going to be to some extent case by case, but in my experience the big shops can often not match what you can find on places like kakaku (even with those relatively insignificant pay delivery/bank charges). I'm sure professional price hunters can get better deals, but I need to get on with my life rather than spend days and days trying to save relatively small amounts.

I have a friend who used to work in Yamada. He said he used to have to go away and get "the bottom price" from his boss. Said it was getting quite annoying with all the people turning up with printouts from amazon and kakaku etc.