so I think Im going to finally get a new computer with my bonus next month, and will switch over to mac this time. Is there a big difference between something that is 3.06ghz, 2.93ghz, and 2.66ghz? I realize that bigger is faster, but to what extent? The computers nowadays seem quite fast compared to what Im using ~ I think its 7 years old, or thereabouts. I would like to get a desktop for home, and a laptop for work (since all I have at work is a desktop) and I wanna start teaching classes using a computer + projector. I am thinking about a regular macbook. Are those good enough for video editing as is? I have heard the pro is better in that aspect but its all ??? As long as I can turn it on and use it that'll be good 'nuff for me.

Cheers for any advice smile

Realistically - what kind of video editing and how often are you likely to do it?

If you are going to be splicing together films together with CGi, then yes fo the top of the range all out DESKTOP! As long as you remember that as soon as you buy a laptop, you are pretty much unable to upgrade them, and if you can, they don't come cheap.

Really think about how much you are going to take it out of your house, as a decent laptop would cost the same as a top end desktop.

Processor type is also important, not only cycle speed.

If you are using it for basic tasks, I would consider second hand as you get a huge price discount for only a 6 month old machine.

>Processor type is also important, not only cycle speed.

its whatever the new macs are eyes

I think you guys answered my Q - it will be sufficient that I dont have to buy the most expensive one and upgrade the helloutta it. Thanks!

The functions are the basically same but the way to access the functions is different (different location, different name, etc).

Wouldnt touch a macbook air - even if you paid me. They are known to be the proverable pain in the arse to upgrade without voiding your warranty, and even out of warranty, they cost a fortune to repair.

Macbook will be fine. I have an 18 month old macbook (2.2gHz) and it does all the audio I need (48 tracks with enough plugins for my needs), and is totally sufficient for all my basic video needs using imovie, etc... Max out the ram to 4 gigs, of course. (don't buy your ram from apple, it's too expensive. Get your ram elsewhere, but make sure it's a decent brand. Akibakan in Tokyo for instance. There must be something similar in kansai.)

One thing to take note of - of the new macbooks, only the white macbook has firewire, the others don't. If you're doing video (or audio) and are using an external drive you might want firewire, cos USB doesn't work very well for that purpose. Of course if you plan to do light things that you can do on the internal hardrive and don't need firewire for hooking up your DV camera then you might decide to get one of the other macbooks. The white macbook is the cheapest anyway. Also, check the apple store online, they sometimes have refurbished models a bit cheaper, still with warranty. The white macbook is also easier to swap the internal drive and add the ram to, etc...

Doesn't sound like you need a macbook pro for what you're doing. In terms of processor speed etc, unless you're doing heavy duty graphics, vid, audio it's not likely to make much difference to you.

By the way, you don't need to get two computers - just get a laptop and a 24 (or 30) inch widescreen monitor (or something smaller if you prefer). The macbook will drive a larger monitor (just check the specs before you get it). Put an external keyboard and mouse, and whatever other peripherals into a USB hub, and when you get home with the laptop, simply pop in the USB hub plug, plug in the monitor, sound, mouse, internet (if you're not using wireless), firewire (if you're using it), and voila!!! Who needs two computers?!!! I've been working this way using various mac laptops for the past 8 or so years. I'd spend the money on other stuff instead.

However if you really do want a desktop as well, depending on your purposes for it, if it's basically the same kinda thing you're wanting the laptop for, then an iMac is more than sufficient, and even a mac mini might do you fine.

sunrise,

I dont wanna be carrying it home daily...no way, thats too much hassle, and since I have run to school, and biked to school recently, that would only make the burden heavier. I have a computer at school, but it sucks and I dont like it. So I just wanna buy one and have it here. And have one at home. Thats simpler for me. I havent bought a computer in over a decade since I got my current laptop at home free from my last job I dont mind. I understand how some people wouldnt wanna buy two computers, but I am not the type to carry a computer around. Thats way to mendoukusai for me wink

Good info though, thank you - hope to see ya in Tokyo sometime! wave