I'm starting to think of next season and I'd like to visit Niseko.

Before I put too much thought into it, can I ask people in the know about the different areas - ie. Hirafu, Annupuri, Higashiyama/Village.... if you had to sum up each one as an area to stay in (quiet, lively, etc), how would you?

Thanks.

Annupuri

great access to slopes

quiet on mountain

quiet at night

less non-Japanese

Niseko Village / Higashiyama

great access to slopes

run home at night gets dodgy

tied to the hotel for entertainment and dining

Need to take a shuttle to Hirafu and variety

Hirafu

depending where you stay great or poor access to slopes

busiest base area, but that's relative

most shops, bars and restaurants

Hanazono

Freedom Inn the only accommodation & nightlife option at the moment

Hirafu is definitely the place to stay if you want a bit of variety and apres ski entertainment. It's not a huge village, even if you stay in the relatively quiet Izumikyo area nothing is really more than a 20min walk away. Within Hirafu itself pretty much everything is only a 10-15min walk regardless of where you stay. There is little ski in/out accomm in Hirafu and the properties that are can be pretty expensive, especially for the quality of the rooms. There is a reasonably efficient free shuttle bus service though to get you up to the lifts. Hanazono started a regular shuttle service from Hirafu this last season as well.

• 3 months later...

the 308 is finished. And a fine place that is, serving the famous kani ramen and beer.

thursday_57.jpg

Just, apart from that, there is nothing else there. The promised of a 5 star hotel resort plus shopping plaza is still at the finding the funding stage.

Really not an alternative to Hirafu. Shame.

Surely one thing that Niseko doesn't need any more of (definately now) is more 5 star luxury uber priced accommodation. Seems to have quite an abundance of that now. Its putting us ski bums (who are very loyal even in times of economic hardships!) in the poor house.

Having just booked a 2+ weeks vacation there recently I was pleasantly surprised by the discounts being offered this year. I'm interested to see how it works out for property owners and renters in the coming years...

One more thing that might be slightly more on topic is the renaming and eventual rebranding of 'Niseko Village' ( æ—§ Higashiyama). I wonder how that will effect 'Hirafu Village' in the long run... Pretty smart move in my books.

Need a 5 star hotel badly. Look at the other places. 3-star at best.

I'm talking Shangri-la like resort hotel and the top end restaurants. That kinda place will bring punters in. Nobody I know likes self catering.

I stayed at Youteii town houses which are located two thirds of the way from Hirafu to Higashiyama. Very quiet side street, we just rented a vehicle and had free access to everywhare and drove to the car park near the lifts. Made skiing in Rusutsu easy and some trips to Moiawa.

Hirafu is OK but it can be quite a lot of walking each day. To many Aussies as well

Exactly how many Aussies are too many? Frankly I've never understood the concept. Anyway these days there's actually quite a lot more in the mix than just Aussies. The SE Asian market is getting huge.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Need a 5 star hotel badly. Look at the other places. 3-star at best.

I'm talking Shangri-la like resort hotel and the top end restaurants. That kinda place will bring punters in. Nobody I know likes self catering.

Any chance of anything like that in the forseeable future?