Go home early?

LOL!

Not any teachers I have known. All very dedicated teachers though - however they all work more than thier 9-3 or 8-4 workday. Many stay at school until 4 or 5 or 6 or later - and many who leave at 3.30 to collect thier own children and do afterschool activities with them - then pick up the marking and lesson plans after 8pm when thier own kids are in bed and start at it again!

I have been at my son's school at 6pm picking them up as it gets dark after sport training and have seen plenty of the teachers just leaving for the day, or still working away in the lit classrooms. And they are there again when the kids are being dropped off early for music lessons before school at 7.45 or so...

I am sure there are SOME teachers who think it is cruisy and whip out last years lessons plans and photostat sheets from the 70's for the kids to fill in the blanks - but not any worth thier salt.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mamabear. Many Japanese teachers think you are joking with them if you say that teachers back home finish at 3pm or 4pm or 5pm. That idea is simply inconceivable for them.

It is not uncommon for them to be there at 7pm or 8pm. It is rare, in my experience, for them to leave before 6pm. And then they often work from home doing stuff and have meetings in the evenings from time to time and weekends too. They take on the role of being parents for (insert number in class) kids almost.

Originally Posted By: thursday
teaching jobs are luxury jobs if you compare with the real deal. Get with it.

Serious? Have you tried teaching? and what do you define as "real"?

OK, teaching is easier (physically) than my previous jobs as a shift worker in the steelmaking industry or as an abattoir worker, but there are definite downsides to the job -

take, for instance, the unpaid overtime (parent interviews lasting until 10pm after a day's teaching), assignment marking that can take up to 5 or 6 hours per assignment - all done after hours.

And I could go on but I'd be accused of whinging. violin

It's a personal call, when I get cold called, I just say "thanks, but no thanks, goodbye"

Then you get this not so good feeeling that somebody was just trying to do his job. Very annoying.

Originally Posted By: thursday
It's a personal call, when I get cold called, I just say "thanks, but no thanks, goodbye"

Then you get this not so good feeeling that somebody was just trying to do his job. Very annoying.

hmmmm....
Yeah, and then you get the insistant ones that even ring you back because you did not listen to thier speel. I hate cold canvassing, and wonder why companies keep doing it. It very rarely hits the target audience, vast majority of the time it alienates people from the company that is calling...there must be a better way.

It is only sustainable because they pay the international telemarketers peanuts - I mean how many "YES! Thank you for calling and interrupting my dinner, I was just in the market to buy a new mobile phone..." responses would they get?

I did 3 years as a correctional officer in a maximum security prison when I was much younger. Wouldn't recommend it. I did earn some really good money though which helped set me up financially.

Being a Prez or PM or some other person that has so much mad pressure day in day out. Can it possibly be worth it? (Suppose must be for that kind of person). I would prefer to minimise stress, not maximise it.