Have you ever claimed anything on insurance? (not counting health)?

Some of these stories make you wonder if it is worth being truthful!

Wonder what it is like deciding on whether a claim is approved or rejected? Do we have any such people here?

Quote:
A pensioner, whose false teeth fell out while he vomited over the side of a cruise ship, put in a claim to his travel insurers for new dentures under “lost baggageâ€.

Two holidaymakers in Devon filed a claim for damage to the paintwork of their car after it was licked by a herd of cows.

Two children in Cornwall buried their parents’ video camera in the sand to prevent it from being stolen whilst they went swimming, but could not remember where. Thankfully, the insurers paid out.

“A deer headbutted the windscreen of my car, after being enticed by the yellow tax disc," another insurance claims form read.

A young British traveller, distracted by the appearance of a group of women in bikinis, broke his nose when he walked into a bus shelter in Athens. The insurance company paid up for the hospital bills.

A couple on their holiday in Malaysia returned to their lodge to find that monkeys had stolen their clothes and scattered them all across the neighbouring rainforest. Fortunately, their insurance company paid their claim.

A family’s camping holiday in Wales was ruined when a parachutist from a nearby airbase landed on their tent, destroying their equipment. Their insurer rejected their claims.

A skier who arrived in an Alpine resort only to find there was very little snow, claimed for the cost of the new skis she had bought before leaving Britain. Her claims were rejected.

A holidaymaker in Sri Lanka needed hospital treatment after a coconut fell on her head while she was reading in the shade below. Her insurer covered her medical expenses.

A bride's dream Caribbean wedding was ruined after her dress caught fire on the barbecue. The groom picked up his wife and threw her into the ocean. Fortunately, they had taken out wedding cover and were compensated for their ruined wedding outfits.

a girlfriend visiting London had her small prada backpack slashed and purse stolen.

She calimed it from the credit card she was just carrying. Got the price of the purse back. She was just carrying the Nico card or something and claimed off them. She didn't buy anything with the card.

fellow student told me it was very difficult to torch a car. You can stick burning newspaper into tank filler mouth and it would not explode.

The trick is to pour petrol into the inside of the car and onto the tires, then stand back, get somebody else to light it and enjoy.

i claimed for a pair of K2 skis way back in the 80's one split at the tail....the travel insurance paid out!

I also took them back to the shop 6 weeks later and guess what they gave me a new pair of skis too.

We were victims of a burglery back in 1992 when I was 8 months preggers with the eldest. We had been out very late at friends and came home about 3am - to find things a bit amiss. Took Papa about .5 of a second to realise and was worried intruder was still in the house, so made me wait outside until he gave the all clear.

We were young and poor at that time - so they didnt get a great deal of stuff. Took the Video Recorder (it was a relatively cheap one MIL and FIL had given us as a wedding gift), they had put it in a suitcase they found in the 'nursery'. This is where I got creeped out. They first emptied the small suitcase which contained the baby's layette all washed and ready to go...my pristine baby clothes strewn all over the floor with black muck trodden into them!!! The they tried the larger suitacse - which was packed ready for a quick departure to the maternity hospital - OK so it was full of nursing bra's and big bridgette jones style 'just had a baby' undies and other unmentionable stuff. How violated did I feel?! That worked - so we were down a suitcase.

They also turned out my jewellery box and spread it over the bed - the only thing missing was a cheapo (but nice looking) imitation pearl necklace .... they completely missed my wedding and engagement rings which did not fit on my swollen preggers fingers.

Insurance not only paid for a new video recorder and a new suitcase - the guy at the store from which we obtained a quote for the video player insisted that the stolen video player was way better than it actually was. We still have it today (and it still works).

Sorry to pour damp water on this 'how much I fiddled on insurance' boastfest, but are people ok with being over the top dishonest re: insurance claims?

Do you think it's your right to outright lie in order to get fiddle something on insurance, having paid for insurance?

I was never over the top, mind you I have also been denied by a minor technicality by a Co who just didn't want to pay even when they should have.

I don't think rorting insurance Co's is a good thing though you just have to read the fine print so that you can claim within the guidelines.

Originally Posted By: SKI
Sorry to pour damp water on this 'how much I fiddled on insurance' boastfest, but are people ok with being over the top dishonest re: insurance claims?
Do you think it's your right to outright lie in order to get fiddle something on insurance, having paid for insurance?

who did that? AFAICS only GN said that he torched a car for the insurance money, everyone else seems to have had a something stolen

No... I dont.

We got a better video recorder than we lost, but was more the fellow giving the quote than us. And we had a huge job ahead of us rewashing baby clothes etc, and installing better security. We also moved to a better area- and that cost a packet.

Since then we have paid MASSIVE amounts in insurance and not claimed anywhere near as much as we have been able to.

In fact our insurance bill per year for workers comp, cars, public liability, home and contents, health and whatever else we have is probably higher than some peoples annual income - so much so we use an insurance broker to organise it all for us.

One of my biggests frustrations is staff who abuse workers comp ... can tell you some seriously cheeky stories. Probably the only thing ticks me off more is people who avoid paying child support.

Man, my dental implant broke last week when we were snowboarding in Italy.

Hard to imagine a titanium post snapping. The implant and porcelain crown no prob.

It's like a 2000 dollar damage and what can I claim it on?

Can't claim it as functional jewel or tool for food consumption. It comes under cosmetic dentistry. Still it is my body parts now, and I'm breaking them a bit. Not good.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Quote:
We were victims of a burglery back in 1992

My parents were about 10 years. It really affected my mum especially. The thought of people breaking into your house is really eerie.

That one was not so bad, we were not home at the time.
About a year and a half ago we were broken in to while we were home - the guys had spotted the car when I was shopping half an hour away and followed me home - they came back a few days later and smashed glass on a door to get in, stole 2 off my handbags (later found dumped and useless - never got them back on insurance) ... wads of cash that I had just withdrawn from my purse/cards etc... all to get the immobiliser key for Papa's high powered tank of a vehicle.

We did not wake up but I always worry about what might have happened if the kids were still awake downstairs (they often are the buggers!). These were hardened crims.

The car was used in ram raids and an armed hold up over the space of 2.5 weeks before they ran out of fuel when being chased by the police. It took 9 months before WE got the car back as new.

THAT rattles you for a while.
We got the dogs.
I am happier now.

a colleague got burgled. Twice within 2 months. Rough area, countryside over looking the sea, detached houses and private driveways.

Anyway, on the second occasion, they spiked the meat for the dog, he was out of it for 2 days. They walked off with a guitar and a laptop. Must've been musicians I guess.

I didn't think it was ok to torch the car and claim the insurance but I was pretty poor at the time and it was the best option. It's the only fraudulent claim I've ever made.

And yes I poured petrol thoughout the interior of the car, left a windown down a bit and flung a match in. It basically exploded blowing out the side windows. Luckily I got back far enough not to get singed. My dad actually drove out with me to help me do it. It was one of the last things we did together before he died of cancer, awesome memory!

I also jimmied the locks and attempted to break the steering lock (wasn't able to) to make it look like it had been broken into. In the end I needn't have worried as the fire was so hot that all the locks simply melted.

The insurance company did a pretty extensive investigation and checked up on the story I gave them. Anyway in the end they paid out.

Basically the truth, went out to dinner and drinks with some friends and came home around midnight went to bed and woke up and the car was gone. I made a police report that morning. I just left out the part of driving said car to a back road I had seen other burnt out cars on and torching it. They got the names and numbers of my friends and questioned them. Of course as I hadn't told anyone (except my dad) what I was doing nearly all my friends gave slightly different accounts of the night as of course everyone remembers things differently. If anything that probably played in my favor as it was plain I hadn't got all friends to say the same story. I also lived in an area where car theft was not exactly unusual.

On the subject of car theft, I can't recall ever hearing of any here. Amazing considering people leave their cars open much more than back home. (I'm sure it does happen of course)