A new The Setting Journals feature, "A New Beginning", has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/setting-journals-11.html

"Straight off the bat an apology is in order to readers and contributors of the SnowJapan.Com forums, especially for those linked to this column, concerning my absence over the past few months. I trust that by the end of this column, all will once again be clear....

The 2002-’03 white season featured 4 volumes of the setting journals based around the analogy that opening, running and closing a full-sized snow based resort is similar to the process involving a commercial airliner taking off, flying and landing safely at the final destination."

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/setting-journals-11.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here....

Nice new site you have there.

How about the numbers for the season? I heard in another thread somewhere on here that the numbers of skiers/boarders were down at Arai by about 13% (?) this past season, but nearby Akakura and Myoko had a good year with an increase in numbers.

Does Arai have any theories they want to share with us on that?

Quote:
ARAI actually closed for six weeks
Wow, thats a long time to be closed. Is than an annually planned thing, or was it just this year? What was the reason for it shutting down completely?

It's good to see some resorts putting some effort into English info though.

We were hoping to have published them earlier, yes, and we did actually mention this on the forums a month or so ago.

As Blair points out, for a number of reasons there has been a delay in getting them all answered...... but they will be appearing in the near future. Arai has agreed to answer lots of your questions, and so we hope you'll be looking forward to reading their answers and what they have to say.

Sorry about the delay.

Thanks

Quote:
Message to Arai - please don't avoid "difficult" questions ;\)
Probibly only if you (we, everyone) can avoid attacking them too much for their difficult answers.

I hope the quesrtions get answered too. In Blairs favour he is just about the only one out there providing resort info on this forum. More than likly he is one of the only people in the japanese resort industry that actually searchs for answers and new questions.

Nice site and nice write up.

Hello

It has been a long time since I last wrote on the forums. It is nice to be back.

Going through your points as they appear on the thread:

nagoid - To be honest at this time I don't have any solid theories as to why the numbers are slightly down at ARAI for the past season;

1 - ARAI usually does close for maintenance twice a year. Disruptive maintenance can involve disturbances to the hydro supply - so the resort picks a quiet point twice a year to carry out such work;

enderzero/scouser - I will be "Taking On" all the questions I was given, and intend to answer the first half by the end of August;

jared - No doubt some members will criticize my answers to the questions. In such cases, I'd really appreciate it if the criticisms are constructive in nature;

fukdane - the shell of the site is now summer, but it will change to the winter version this fall;

Fattwins/base40 - thanks for the support; &

Thunderbird2 - some seasonal staff from Tokyo for example spend up to four full years at the resort. Others eventually become full time staff members. Most return to Tokyo and get "real jobs", but manage to return for a visit each winter.