G7, G8 and G20 meetings: What do the protesters actually want?

Thats a nice nosering he has there.

Interesting to contrast the headlines:

The Daily Mail (Anarchists take over London)

The Times (European demand threaten to wreck deal)

Depends on what sort of change the people want - demands for recognition of basic human rights and equality is vastly different from wanting to over turn the way our economies function. For many, the former has largely been achieved, the latter is simple insanity. Trade, free trade, does far more to improve people's lives than anything else. The ability to work and accumulate wealth and the freedom to decide how one does this (within reason) constitutes a cornerstone of our society - take that way, take away the incentive to come up with a new idea or to add value or to improve upon the status quo and the right to be rewarded for that inspiration/initiative/talent and you're back to the bleakest days of Stalinist/Maoist communism. There is obviously a role for governments to moderate and temper the fluctuations of the market, but it is the market (whatever form that happens to be) that generates wealth for EVERYONE. You want jobs - your employer will need to borrow working capital from the banks, you want social services - the government needs people to earn wages so they can pay taxes to fund them, you want a house - you need recognition of private property rights, you want your family, hard earned assets and property protected from dickheads who don’t respect these things - you need a system of laws and they need to be enforced etc...... We need banks, we need free enterprise, we need private property and we need the freedom of choice and action and we need a well regulated and operating society. There won’t be a major change to the global economy because what we have is better than all the possible alternatives. Get with the program people.

Why weren't people protesting about the economic boom? Why didn't we see people complaining about being able to get a home loan? Was it perhaps that people were quite happy when they were benefiting from the system and it is only now that they've been hit by the pendulum swinging back that they want the obviously “morally†(and financially) bankrupt system overturned! One of the consequences of this whole debacle will be a tightening of lending practices for the banks, because surprise surprise lending to no hopers is not good for business and that means mister low income/unemployed worker with too many kids you're out on your ass.

I left the lights on during Earth hour and I’m proud of it! Oh, and poor nations are poor because they are poorly governed - that's their fault not ours.

That's what I like about you Thursday, you're always willing to do your bit to keep the economy going and support businesses and the people that they employ - you do more for the well being of others than 100 angry protestors throwing rocks at bankers waving 10 pound notes.

I agree with much of what you say Gimp. Ecxept for the rant about Climate change.

The results of climate change are anti business, anti social, anti freedom and all of the things you mentioned. We can still have a carbon nuetral free trade economy. It's just a different system.

There other ways to create industry besides digging shit out of the groud and burning it.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
I agree with much of what you say Gimp. Ecxept for the rant about Climate change.
The results of climate change are anti business, anti social, anti freedom and all of the things you mentioned. We can still have a carbon nuetral free trade economy. It's just a different system.

There other ways to create industry besides digging shit out of the groud and burning it.

Fair enough Mantas and the CC point was a bit tounge in cheek but there is a distinct anti-business greeny theme to the CC issue. This is despite the fact that people dig up shit and burn it because they can't afford the expensive, non-burnable shit. Dismantle business-banking complex and that problem just gets worse. I'm sure that's not news though.

The Greeny, anti-business theme does tend to steal the show when it comes to CC.

Smart businesses and governments will flourish in a low carbon economy IMO. Our government seems to be making some effort in that area. We badly need more power stations to meet a rising demand (most likely coal fired) but instead of spending money on that, they are handing out millions in rebates to individuals and businesses to set up alternate energy devices in their homes.

I'm no economist but I would imagine a massive shift in power generation and distribution infrastructure would require huge capital investment.

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
At work in jeans and t-shirt today, just so we are not a 'target'.

Damn, I was looking for you and crisps too!

I was standing about 20m behind that dude, saw the glass being smashed. I bailed when the horsies came for a visit. A hoofprint on my arse didn't sound like fun. However overall the protest was much quieter than I thought it would be.

I attended so I could get a feeling for how strongly people felt. The main feeling I got was that people feel betrayed and helpless. I didn't get a feeling of imminent revolution. Phew.

I saw some awesome slogans tho. So totally not thought out:

Down with Democracy.

Capitalism has Failed.

and the best:

Consumers are evil!

Probably the most amusing thing about the whole demo was the camera gear. I have never seen so much high end equipment in one place at one time. Both video and stills cameras. I counted at least 20 Canon EOS 1D's. Those babies start at £4k... All bought and paid for (well credited) by the evil capitalistic system.

Finally some piccies of the demo for your amusement.

It's amazing how students 'know' so much despite the fact that they

-are almost always are dependent on mummy and daddy for support. (if mum & dad can't help, the good ol tax payer will chip in for you)

-don't contribute enough tax to the system to justify their existence. (in a primeval tribe they would be left to die)

- never work full time.

-have hardly spent any length of time in the workforce.

-don't have dependent children to support.

-don't have a mortgage.

I'm sure a lot of people would have wanted to attend the protests BUT THEY HAD TO GO TO BLOODY WORK!!

All true Mantas. I certainly look back on my uni days as great times (although I didn't rely on mum and dad for support). Having the time to be involved in things you felt passionate about was a real bonus. I was the president of a human rights group and later an environmental group and was involved in many protests.

Unfortunately later on the grind of making a living and having a real life destroyed most of that passion and as you say I just didn't have time to be that involved anymore. Plus as you get older you usually become more cynical and less likely to believe you can change the world. Still they were really good times.

Yep I loved my student days and altho my parents did give me free board and lodgings I also worked 3 jobs in an effort to be as financially independent as possible. Each year my brother and I would buy stuff for my mum as a token of gratitude, things that the house needed like a Tumble Dryer, SKY TV (ok we wanted this as well) a new washing machine etc. It doesn't compare to the cost they spent on us by buying food and paying bills etc but it was well received by my parents. The Government on the other hand were a giant crutch that I lent heavily on, they paid my tutition, gave me a sizeable grant (which I don't pay back) and I used this money how? By buying up the necessary books needed to put me thru school?? No way...I went on holiday to Spain with my mates every year.....Thank you very much Tony Blair!!!! lol