• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it was stooopid.

But what can you do. I never thought of it as Papa was booking most of the stuff, and he assumed I would do it. Live and Learn. doh slap doh

Just praying there is no serious injury while we are in Zermatt.

Still no sign of bag - just got off phone to BA - until yesterday they did not even have the bag number and were blaming us (even though we gave them the bag receipts at the airport - and they recorded them and we took them back) and they had the bag listed as soft rather than polycarbonate this morning - even though on the online records I can access it is listed correctly - doh! Looking for the wrong type of bag all week. Incompetent.

Fortunately for us while we have been away our puppies have won a few feature races and are paying for any extra expenses nicely. thumbsup

Gone to the dogs, again, hey Mama?

Seriously, though, how hard is it for them to find a bag that hasn't been collected and determine where it should be?

Yeah I KNOW! Bizarre isn't it. The bag IS barcoded, and they have all the information (re-given multiple times!) including the internal contents. Basically it is shear incompetence and poor systems management. My guess is the bag is still at Charles De Gaulle Airport and no-one has bothered to even look for it.

So - update - still no bag.

However INDO you will be pleased to know that after your slapping I decided it was too important not to at least SEE if we can get insurance post commencement of travel. And yes I could - and through an Aussie company. We are now covered for the balance of our holiday. Not that the cover would extend to the video camera over $250 anyway, but at least it is something and we are covered for medical.

On a positive note. We got 3 of the kids new snowboard boots today. The Teen got twin boa binding on his and the two little kids single boa's - I think they are ALL Vans boots. How excited am I? NO MORE LACES!! YES!!!

(Edited to say - I was wrong - the little fella's are K2 Vandals)

Originally Posted By: JA
Gone to the dogs, again, hey Mama?

LOL! Yeah we have always had a few at the track and a few in pup - but we have a rash of puppies doing well at the moment. Should be a good year at the track for us. Ours are the Monelli Dogs - mostly race on the West Coast, but occasionally over East.

It's official....I have changed my tune......I LOVE BRITISH AIRWAYS!!!!

They said the best 7 words ever to me.... YOU HAVE BEEN UPGRADED TO BUSINESS CLASS

Why thankyou very much, best flight I have ever been on (1st time I got to walk upstairs), them bed things are the shit......12 hour journey...pah I could've stayed up there for days!!

My Mrs came down with an Uber Fever 30 mins before we took off, so her flight wasn't as good......still better than if we were stuck in cattle class

No idea at all Sanjo, I was a little suspicious thinking that maybe they already knew they lost our bags from edinburgh and were trying to sweeten the deal (if that were the case, I wouldn't have minded anyway) but the cases showed up on cue in Narita.

Thats the 1st time its ever happened and yeah, its fantastic!! biggrin

I've been through Charles De Gaulle Airport and have to say their service is rubbish to say the least, totally incompetant.

Luckily I have never used the new T5 at heathrow, I avoid that airport like the plague. When ever I go back home I use a non direct flight transfer in europe and fly into Birmingham airport or west midlands, always smooth, stright through no problems. Check-in is a lot more simple too. Ok for me those airports are near my folks so obvious choice, but depending on where in the UK you are going or transfering to after you can choose any number of airports closer to your destination.

Mamabear if you fly to the UK next time, depending on where you may wish to go once there, maybe good to try flying into one of the smaller airports, far less hassle I have found.

Of course that doesn't cure the problem of your lost bags, especially if it is not at the UK's end... but may make for a smoother and quicker entry and exit from the UK.

Thinking about it, I have a like/hate relationship with Heathrow. It is of course a horrid place and there are many stories such as Mamabears. But, when I arrive there it signifies "being home" and I like that feeling too and buying a coffee, sandwich, newpaper and magazine. Not actually Heathrow being good in particular but thats the place I do that.

Actually no I hate it.

Yeah thanks BoC,

We are having a ball despite the missing bag. It is annoying as every day I think "oh, I need..." and realize it was also in THAT bag! But you learn to do without it or buy a new one!

It was chilly in London, and chillier in Paris until yesterday when it got right bloody freezing and began snowing in spades! We took the kids to Paris Disney and I have to say I felt like skipping down the streets - snow everywhere & constantly falling, Christmas music playing in the background as you walked the streets, kids laughing and enjoying themselves - awesome!

Only drawback was the little one got wet shoes and cold feet. We took AGES trying snow walking boots on the youngest in Snow and Rock in London, only to realize when we searched for them yesterday that we didn't buy them - they got put at the till with a pile of other stuff and never got rung up. ARRGhhhh! Warm bath thawed him out.

Off to Milan tomorrow.

standard rate of compo is usually USD$20 per KG (*to a max of 20kg, though to Euro maybe 32kg).So $400 ro $640 which doesn't cover much more than the bag these days thumbsdown That's from the airlines anyway...

*These rates may have increased but were standard back in 2005 when i last checked.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Thursday!!!!

I can see it!!!

Now if I can just get access to the holding area....LOL!

No bag.

We reckon it went home with someone....rotters.

It is only STUFF though....annoying yes, but it is just STUFF. This trip has given us many stuff lessons. We ran the eldest boys iPod through a washing machine in London and some moronic train fellow made up the beds on our sleeper train from Paris to Milan while we were at dinner (the luxuries of travelling first class) and squashed my carefully stowed laptop. All of a few weeks old and the screen is cactus!!! Borrowing a laptop now that we are in Zermatt, but ya know - none of it matters.

Today saw us head up just shy of 4000m and board down through Italy and have lunch at Cervinia, and then back up and board down into Zermatt. AMAZING day. `Stuff` does not matter.

Mamabear, i see you arent travelling with insurance - its essential.

Your medicare doesnt cover hospital bills overseas, so worth it just for that.

when my son broke his arm at thredbo, we couldnt claim any of the medical cost (medicare chipped their $10 into that lol), but the insurance refunded all of the hiregear and lift ticket costs, so $90 worth of insurance paid out around $600