Not sure if people are keeping up with the snow reports from Kurodake (rinyu kanko) up in Taisetsu national park but they already have a 220cm base! That must be the most snow at any resort in the world right now. We dug a pit at the top of the mountain and it measured 350cms. There is good coverage to the bottom of the mountain and the cold temps are keeping it powdery. Are there any other places out there that have a big base already?

• SnowJapan Moderator

The page below is not officially started - we're currently testing and fixing it up - but is now showing updated data as of yesterday:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/A_TO_Z_ResortsSnowDepth.php

This should be updating daily from Monday, when we'll link it all up and announce it on here.

friend

God I hope it picks up :(

I'm going to Hakuba in Late February and it will be my first time to the snow ever. I'd be bummed to go all that way and not get a decent go of things. That been said its early days and apparently its not normally good until January anyway.

Then again I am a nub when it comes to anything related to the snow (at the moment anyway...If my level of 'excited-ness' is anything to by snowboarding may become my new hobby despite living in sunny Queensland!)

Just sucks looking at the webcams everyday and the depth reports and seeing no massive change.

EDIT: Just bothered reading the data on the place. Seems the best snowfall historically is January and February anyway. Cool!

Also, I'm new to this site (about a month now) and everyday I discover some new feature or another page to extract more information from. It's awesome! Top effort lol.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
At least in Hakuba you've got all that Japanese culture to enjoy!

That sounds great!

Perhaps people could do the new snow (Niseko) + culture (Hakuba) trips that would make a good combination.

Matt I was exactly the same as you last year so you would think that I would be a little more under control this year NOT!!! doh

I nearly passed out with the first snow fall back in October and then the first few days in Niseko then I started worrying that all my friends were coming this year because I had built it all up so much and there wasn't going to be any snow.

THEN I REMEMBERED the day I got lost in Kutchan and was walking around the back streets totally dwarfed by the MOUNTAINS of snow on the side of the roads - seeing cars that had been buried by large snow falls over night (and I mean buried). Also one lasting memory was the snow dump out of town with truck load after truck load dumping mountains of snow all day.

DON'T PANIC IT WILL COME!!! dance

Originally Posted By: stemik
Originally Posted By: MikePow
Most powder anywhere was up my nostrils today. And I'm not talking the Colombian variety smile

Nice one! How many days so far?

Hey Stem, have you Hakuba guys pissed off the snow god??
I'm being extra kiss ass just now, hoping for a huge dump of the white stuff!!!! worship

wink