Still mid-November and perhaps in one way we should be thankful, but here in the UK things just don't seem as normal. Far less being spent on Christmas decorations in the towns and shops, quieter shops, all feels like it hasn't started yet. Perhaps it hasn't but usually it certainly would have. Must be far less 'magical' for the kids.

I know Japan does Christmas, do they go ever more overboard with things, or is this season seeing things tame down some?

It hasn't really started here yet, I noticed a few shops have put up xmas decs, but that's about it so far, give it another couple of weeks and things will change, all the shops will have their trees and decorations up then.

Japanese in general don't celebrate xmas like we do. Most don't put up a tree or decorate there houses, having said that in recent years I have noticed a few who do and go totally over board, like putting up not only a tree in the house, but putting lights all around the house all over all of their trees as well as lit up reindeer and santas in their gardens. They burn enough electric to power a factory!

They do exchange presents here and there are many xmas events for children here. It is mainly for commercial purposes, but I think it is like halloween every year it is becoming more popular. I think people in general like the idea of xmas, like back home it's a good reason to go out and get totally rat arsed, the adults that is! lol

Mr Snowhunter got very excited last weekend and put Christmas decorations up all around the shop (bit National Lampoons christmas vacation). We are very very quiet not even any laybys yet for Christmas. People seem to have closed there wallets up BUT on the other hand in December the AUS government is handing out $1000 to pensioners and I think it is $1000 for each child. So maybe they will all come out spending when they get their bonuses.

Have also heard all the Theme Parks attendances a WAY DOWN!

Christmas musak was playing instore yesterday - I really liked it coz I am a Christmas Junkie.

There is Christmas stuff everywhere, and SALE signs everywhere, but not a lot of shopping going on. Must admit I am adding to that - planning to get a lot of my shopping done in HK next weekend - but have done very little up til now.

I did claim some DJ's vouchers back on the credit card rewards - but they have gone missing in the mail (need to lodge an formal form to get them reissued...grrr). I guess the postie needed some shopping dollars!

I'm a scrooge - Kurisumasu? Bah humbug. I hate seeing all the decorations going up in early Nov. Mrs T admited that there was no point in putting up Christmas decorations this year as we're off to Japan on the 19th. Yessss! Result.My favourite Christmas experience? Sitting in Japanese ski-jo restaurant with family on 25th dec eating 600 yen ramen, looking to the top of mountain,with blue skies and less than a dozen skiers out on the piste. Bliss.

• 2 weeks later...

Where you looking Thursday - there were decorations going up in the streets of Central, and the local shopping centres were playing Christmas music and were fully decorated.

I collect christmas ornaments for my tree from all over the world. We buy them on our travels and get them sent in swap parcels. However I had to settle for an ornament that I could alter to be a Christmas Tree ornament in Hong Kong - could not find ornaments anywhere! I wondered if due to the limited space people do not set up tree's in thier homes and that was why I couldn't find decorations for sale....tell me it isn't true! Tell me I was just looking in the wrong places.

My wife and I don't really get into xmas that much. We don't have a tree or anything and won't be buying each other any gifts (we are going out for some fine dining on boxing day though). We have our first kid on the way so I guess all that will change...

Originally Posted By: Go Native
My wife and I don't really get into xmas that much. We don't have a tree or anything and won't be buying each other any gifts (we are going out for some fine dining on boxing day though). We have our first kid on the way so I guess all that will change...

oh yes... life will change altogether. For the better.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Where you looking Thursday - there were decorations going up in the streets of Central, and the local shopping centres were playing Christmas music and were fully decorated.

I collect christmas ornaments for my tree from all over the world. We buy them on our travels and get them sent in swap parcels. However I had to settle for an ornament that I could alter to be a Christmas Tree ornament in Hong Kong - could not find ornaments anywhere! I wondered if due to the limited space people do not set up tree's in thier homes and that was why I couldn't find decorations for sale....tell me it isn't true! Tell me I was just looking in the wrong places.

I'm looking local mall.

Duh doh you can get trees and ornaments. They cost a bomb 'cos not much demand, hence novelty prices. I guess a Christmas tree ornament from Hong Kong would be a star ferry fridge magnet or something.
Originally Posted By: thursday
Originally Posted By: Mamabear

I'm looking local mall.

Duh doh you can get trees and ornaments. They cost a bomb 'cos not much demand, hence novelty prices. I guess a Christmas tree ornament from Hong Kong would be a star ferry fridge magnet or something.

I got a cute crystal beaded 3D Panda that I think is meant to attach to phone (Ummm,....I think it is BIGGER than my phone...) I will just add red ribbon to attach to the tree. Better than Nada.