Toque sounds like this guy should join our crew eh?

Dougy we know and have inspected all the areas that we have skied in. We never ski blindly and always you gear and the buddy system. If you are talking to us you are talking to the wrong people. We dont fight patrol and do our best to ski places that dont care if you head ob or bc. We for the most part wont let anyone into our circle unless you have basic gear.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the fellas at la ponte said avalanch risk high today (back was closed and the quad was shut)and we should "be careful" dropping the small cornice into the valley just near the quad

;\)

we dropped softly

If you know what you're doing and have the right gear then no I'm not talking to you. But even experienced people's luck can run out. Anyone who is serious about backcountry will remember Craig Kelly. \:\(

My post was more aimed at the new crew chomping at the bit to get off the groomers and explore what the backcountry has to offer. Passes get pulled because you either endangered yourself repeatedly, even after being warned, or you endangered someone else. The first, well it's your choice, but the second is downright wrong and includes the danger you put other people in when you f#%k-up and they have to come rescue you.

The real riding is out there, beyond the ropes, the lifts, and the resorts and it really doesn't take much to get amongst it. So get on the Net and do some research, better still do a course . I'm a ski/snowboard photographer and spent a season in Canada doing my CAA Level 1 Avalanche course but even an Avalanche Awareness course is enough to get you started. That along with the right gear and the right partners will show you what the backcountry is really about. It's a hell of a lot more than a few poached lines under a lift or down some short-arse slope to a creek or something. wakaranai.gif

I know it sounds like a lot and you probably think I'm some self-rightous prat but I've had to dig people out and don't want to do it again. If you put in the time you will be rewarded with the best riding you can possibly imagine. If you do feel the need to duck ropes for that quick hit first think is it worth it and if it is don't do it alone. \:\)

Dougy, thats a good point.

The only reason why I skied the lines that I did with Fattwins and Toque was because they knew the lines we were doing and had been doing them for many a seasons. If it was just me, I wouldnt have gone off course, at least if I had never ridden those lines. The places that we hit over and over througout the season I would go back and do now. But wouldnt feel comfortable going solo down them. Need a partner.

Craig Kelly, that sucked that he died. What an awesome athlete he was.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
why dont you join toque and i for some spring tateyama riding. then you can see if we are up to snuff? \:\)
Why didn't this come up sometime in the last four years? " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" /> I have no doubt you guys are up to snuff and would love to go hiking with you guys but I'm heading back to Australia in April. My wife and I are going to Ryuoo for the last week of March for our last trip and until then I'm pretty much flat-out. Is there any decent terrain round Ryuoo? My wife isn't up to heading out back yet but if you guys are in the area I'd be keen to go for a day.

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:
The only reason why I skied the lines that I did with Fattwins and Toque was because they knew the lines we were doing and had been doing them for many a seasons. If it was just me, I wouldnt have gone off course, at least if I had never ridden those lines. The places that we hit over and over througout the season I would go back and do now. But wouldnt feel comfortable going solo down them. Need a partner.
Just like a diving buddy and hiking partner is as essiential as having the right gear and knowing how to use it. Peeps(transievers) don't work if no-one knows you are buried just as they are no good if only one person has one.

Too bad ur leaving.

Ryuoo is very nice with nice snow monsters (perfect for pictures) at the top. Top part is flat (except for one side lift) and so is the bottom section. The only 'steep' section is under the gondola (39-40 deg), but quite a few selection of lines (just cut across once you go under the gondola, you can even reach an old closed groomed) although a bit 'short-arsed' compared to real bc stuff. lol.gif Just teasing, sorry could not help it. Actually not so short the lines there.

I've done my four years and now it's time to bail. Heading back home to the Gold Coast for a year-or-so then down to Jindabyne to set up camp. If anyone's going to be round Ryuoo from Mar 27 - Early April come ride. I'll throw in my BC gear just in case.

I'd have to agree that a lot of rope-duckers don't really know what they're doing. It all looks innocent on the other side of the rope, but...

I was hiking up from the top of Hirafu the other day to ski Kozanosawa (the back bowl). It's high risk if/when she does avo, but we'd been assessing the conditions, talked to a patrol guy who did know what was happening up there, and dug a pit. No probs. Safe riding and good lines.

The same day, patrol had closed a wide gully just off-course which had a different aspect and different avo risk. They were standing along the ropes making sure nobody ducked. They'd already had a small slide there in the morning. All day long we watched people hike to the top of the mountain to drop into the very same gully that had already slid. Some of them were crashing all over the place - clearly way out of their league.

Another thing that concerned me was the two groups of riders who followed us into Kozanosawa. Clearly they had no gear, experience, or knowledge of the area. One group waited while we dug the pit and followed us on the first run. Another group who were loitering around the top of a different run wandered over to us, and then followed us all the way down on our second run. They waited at the safe zones we chose, and didn't seem to know that they were going to finish at a different resort. These groups included boarders and skiers, foreigners and Japanese. They couldn't be narrowed to a particular social group - just people who were getting into things they didn't really understand. Now I'm starting to wonder about whether I should be making informed choices, where others might follow blindly and naively.

Dougy you shouldve been here 4 years ago and then maybe we couldve clicked.

Ive had people do that to us Powda tele the 2 worst ones

nozawa people following and then asking how to get out. Me pointing out old avies and saying we are prepared and have a ski plan in place do you?

just blank faces.

Second but much worse dropping into a bowl on the backside of happo. someone that saw us thought that they would do it too. Very stable day but... no gear, no buddies and he was in the start zone hiking up. we were above him in a safe zone wondering, #1 how did he get below us, #2 why is he below us #3 why are you hiking up through there. We told the guy to take a hike and he did. He realized quickly that he was over his head.

Too add to powda tele. I think that you might see Niseko rules get killed if people dont respect certain rules. I can understand it at any resort in the world if you get caught in an avie zone you can be arrested. If it becomes a problem the resort will just close the trees and go pass pulling again.

That's one of the things I dread the most about out back. The scariest thing to happen to me was in Fernie. We had hiked over to the far side of "Fishbowl" just outside the Fernie boundry to shoot some turns . We were mid face on a good day when some idiot decided to cut in above us on a steeper face. Alone, no gear, and obiously no friggin idea the kook started a small slide. He quickly bailed off to the side but we wore a fair bit of sluff. We purposly hadn't hit that area because of the pitch but someone elses ignorance could have cost us our lives. He had followed us over but went up from where we dug in. Canada has a totally different attitude to back counrty access than here and people are generally well educated but there's always going to be one and that taught us a scary lesson that day.

Fattwains and Dougy, your tales make me cringe with familiarity and also the serious side of it.

These scenarios have happened to me and friends in France; don't you just love(hate) the way these people always nonchalantly enjoy the view after following your bootpack up, maybe even comment on it, while hanging around waiting for you+friends to check your stuff and drop in ... as they have no idea where to go! It's so casual, if it wasn't so bad i would find it so funny.

Just goes to show that whatever the culture/rules regarding off-piste/BC - Canada, Japan, France - you still get the same problems. Just different ways of dealing with it, i guess.

In Fernie I didn't ride Fish bowl that often, but the bowls over the opposite end of resort, mongolia / outer mongolia were nice.

Quote:
Just goes to show that whatever the culture/rules regarding off-piste/BC - Canada, Japan, France - you still get the same problems.
Interesting to read that, often it seems people thing Japan is far more difficult.

I got 2 free passes to 47 as well

But we can use those later in the season

I wonder if Tsugaike is cracking down as a result of the blatent south face poaches some to remain nameless people were hitting